Reds@Pirates 6/17 Game Thread...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Aaron

Post by Aaron »

7E535E4F48594E0E0D3C0 wrote: I think Huntington’s comments before the game today on his show were very annoying once again speaking about attendance. Huntington said “If we are able to turn a corner and draw more people out then we’ll be able to put more into the club but they don’t necessarily go hand in hand. As we have shown in the past when the resources are there we’ll apply them.” Way to blame the fans once again Neal for your mismanagement of the team. This guy is something else.

Even if he believes this he is stupid for saying it. 

Oh absolutely he is. Blaming the fans yet again for low payroll and then throwing out the ridiculous statement that the financial resources might not be there when people know the team gets revenue sharing and media money is just a flat out inexcusable statement to make and one that Huntington should be embarrassed to even throw out there. Hey Neal ITS NOT THE FANS FAULT YOUR CHEAP BOSS DOESNT SPEND MONEY.

This should answer anyone's questions about why Nutting extended NH (and CH) for 4 more years. It wasn't to enhance the team's ability to win. Even after they had franchise record attendance/revenue in 2015 they cut costs, reduced the talent level and resumed losing. The priority is money, not winning. Even some players have noted as much. NH is Nutting's point man for spin control. Nutting stays out of the spotlight and NH got a 4-year deal to say whatever ridiculous lie is required to "explain" what everyone else can clearly see are questionable and counterproductive policies. And since winning is low on the priority list, why change managers? Hurdle keeps the players as satisfied as possible for a losing team. They get plenty of rest, they all get turns playing and he publicly defends them no matter how poorly they play. NH and Hurdle seem very satisfied with their roles in the Nutting regime. Good pay and job security without the pressures of trying to win. Good work if you can get it!

I've been saying this same thing on OBN for years and got lambasted for it, during the time that this board was very, "pro-Pirate Management."

I'm glad to see that just about everyone (with the exception of Dogknot) has caught on to the scam.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Perfect timing: Paul Ziese writing on the same issue

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/zeis ... 1806180105

Off topic, but I love listening to Paul on the radio, and he spends a lot of time talking Bucco baseball as he usually follows Pirate broadcasts.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Great column. I'm glad someone in the mainstream media took the time to specifically address what we're talking about.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

One of my least favorite games of the year is when the Pirates sell Pirate memorabilia at the Park and on the air to help raise funds for Pirate charities. The main reason is because I feel that Nutting is hawking the history of the Pirates and the fans' connections to the players to make himself look and feel good (I am not discounting that the monies raised likely really help people and projects in need). In short, I have no love for Nutting and how he has operated the Pirates.

While I know that NH is management, I have tried to separate much of my comment about him from Nutting. With respect to NH, I often have heaped praise on him for the things that he has done well; such as the acquisition of Happ (and how that move turned out). And, I have negatively criticized him (and the franchise) for really stupid moves; like playing much of last year with 2 outfielders. His comment on Sunday clearly warrants a negative reaction.

I recognize that every team has a budget. With the way that he spoke on Sunday, this year's decline in attendance may mean that the team will not have any money to add talent (okay players) come the end of July. He literally may need more fannies in the seats, and soon, to be able to convince Nutting that it is okay to spend another $5 mil or so. Regardless, implying in any way that the fans and not the owner, management, the manager, the coaches and the players are responsible for the current state of the team is disrespectful . It's almost like the old National Lampoon magazine cover that featured someone holding a gun to a dog and stating that if you don't buy this magazine that we'll shoot the dog. Or, this is the best baseball that you have any right to see unless more of you pay for the privilege of seeing the Pirates compete.

On the whole, I still tend to believe that NH has done more right than wrong under the constraints in which he has to operate. That said, the comments that he made earlier this week were flat out wrong and inappropriate. NH --- if you put a good product on the field (e.g. 2015 team) the fans will come out and will not expect a booblehead, a t-shirt, a bat, an umbrella or fireworks (except on the field) to entice them to do so.

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

715D5552597E495F4F3C0 wrote: One of my least favorite games of the year is when the Pirates sell Pirate memorabilia at the Park and on the air to help raise funds for Pirate charities.   The main reason is because I feel that Nutting is hawking the history of the Pirates and the fans' connections to the players to make himself look and feel good (I am not discounting that the monies raised likely really help people and projects in need).  In short, I have no love for Nutting and how he has operated the Pirates.

While I know that NH is management, I have tried to separate much of my comment about him from Nutting.   With respect to NH, I often have heaped praise on him for the things that he has done well; such as the acquisition of Happ (and how that move turned out).  And, I   have negatively criticized him (and the franchise) for really stupid moves; like playing much of last year with 2 outfielders.   His comment on Sunday clearly warrants a negative reaction. 

I recognize that every team has a budget.  With the way that he spoke on Sunday, this year's decline in attendance may mean that the team will not have any money to add talent (okay players) come the end of July.   He literally may need more fannies in the seats, and soon, to be able to convince Nutting that it is okay to spend another $5 mil or so.  Regardless, implying in any way that the fans and not the owner, management, the manager, the coaches and the players are responsible for the current state of the team is disrespectful .   It's almost like the old National Lampoon magazine cover that featured someone holding a gun to a dog and stating that if you don't buy this magazine that we'll shoot the dog.    Or, this is the best baseball that you have any right to see unless more of you pay for the privilege of seeing the Pirates compete. 

On the whole, I still tend to believe that NH has done more right than wrong under the constraints in which he has to operate.  That said, the comments that he made earlier this week were flat out wrong and inappropriate.   NH --- if you put a good product on the field (e.g. 2015 team) the fans will come out and will not expect a booblehead, a t-shirt, a bat, an umbrella or fireworks (except on the field) to entice them to do so.   

the thing about his comments that gets me is that he didn't have to say it. Maybe he feels he has to in order to suck up to his bosses. But that doesn't really make sense because of his contract. He comes across as a toady (or a Smithers to Mr. Burns on the Simpsons).
BenM

Post by BenM »

Nutting and Huntington are smart businessmen and I find it really hard to believe that they would take on multi year obligations based on attendance growth in a single season. Even if fans filled the stadium.

So put me in the "I don't believe them." camp.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6D4A41622F0 wrote: Nutting and Huntington are smart businessmen and I find it really hard to believe that they would take on multi year obligations based on attendance growth in a single season. Even if fans filled the stadium.

So put me in the "I don't believe them." camp.
Your suspicions were proven to be true when they filled the ballpark in 2015 only to see team mgt cut costs the next year. That's why it's so insulting for NH to preach to the fans that if we give them the revenue, they'll use it. The fans did. The team didn't.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

103637203626550 wrote: One of my least favorite games of the year is when the Pirates sell Pirate memorabilia at the Park and on the air to help raise funds for Pirate charities.   The main reason is because I feel that Nutting is hawking the history of the Pirates and the fans' connections to the players to make himself look and feel good (I am not discounting that the monies raised likely really help people and projects in need).  In short, I have no love for Nutting and how he has operated the Pirates.

While I know that NH is management, I have tried to separate much of my comment about him from Nutting.   With respect to NH, I often have heaped praise on him for the things that he has done well; such as the acquisition of Happ (and how that move turned out).  And, I   have negatively criticized him (and the franchise) for really stupid moves; like playing much of last year with 2 outfielders.   His comment on Sunday clearly warrants a negative reaction. 

I recognize that every team has a budget.  With the way that he spoke on Sunday, this year's decline in attendance may mean that the team will not have any money to add talent (okay players) come the end of July.   He literally may need more fannies in the seats, and soon, to be able to convince Nutting that it is okay to spend another $5 mil or so.  Regardless, implying in any way that the fans and not the owner, management, the manager, the coaches and the players are responsible for the current state of the team is disrespectful .   It's almost like the old National Lampoon magazine cover that featured someone holding a gun to a dog and stating that if you don't buy this magazine that we'll shoot the dog.    Or, this is the best baseball that you have any right to see unless more of you pay for the privilege of seeing the Pirates compete. 

On the whole, I still tend to believe that NH has done more right than wrong under the constraints in which he has to operate.  That said, the comments that he made earlier this week were flat out wrong and inappropriate.   NH --- if you put a good product on the field (e.g. 2015 team) the fans will come out and will not expect a booblehead, a t-shirt, a bat, an umbrella or fireworks (except on the field) to entice them to do so.   

the thing about his comments that gets me is that he didn't have to say it.  Maybe he feels he has to in order to suck up to his bosses.  But that doesn't really make sense because of his contract.  He comes across as a toady (or a Smithers to Mr. Burns on the Simpsons).

I see it a bit differently. If you listen to different people interview him, the answers are almost the same, word for word. Literally, it's as if the words are memorized, no matter how many different people/shows interview him. If you think I'm exaggerating, wait until the next time there's a reason for numerous outlets to interview him. You could cut, copy and paste his responses from one interview to the next.

Those replies are constructed VERY, VERY carefully and given to him by their PR (propaganda) Department. There is absolutely no question about this.