Pirates vs Dbacks 4/22

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

IABucFan

Pirates vs Dbacks 4/22

Post by IABucFan »

654845545342551516270 wrote: Shuck pitches a scoreless 9th. That was interesting. Good for Hurdle. At 12-4 the game is lost and the team is rightfully more concerned with Burdi's health than with the outcome of the game. At least Shuck saved the BP from pitching another inning.

Shows how hard it is to hit a baseball at the professional level. When you think about the physics, it's amazing that anyone gets a hit in MLB ever. Trying to hit a round ball, with a round bat, that's coming at you at 95+ mph from just 60 feet, 6 inches away, and could dart and move any number of ways. How anyone even makes contact is remarkable.
Bobster21

Pirates vs Dbacks 4/22

Post by Bobster21 »

00080B3C2A0F2827490 wrote: Shuck pitches a scoreless 9th. That was interesting. Good for Hurdle. At 12-4 the game is lost and the team is rightfully more concerned with Burdi's health than with the outcome of the game. At least Shuck saved the BP from pitching another inning.

Shows how hard it is to hit a baseball at the professional level. When you think about the physics, it's amazing that anyone gets a hit in MLB ever. Trying to hit a round ball, with a round bat, that's coming at you at 95+ mph from just 60 feet, 6 inches away, and could dart and move any number of ways. How anyone even makes contact is remarkable.
True. Watch batting practice. BP pitchers are grooving pitches to batters and most of the hits get caught at the warning track.

PMike

Pirates vs Dbacks 4/22

Post by PMike »

525A596E785D7A751B0 wrote: I turned it off. What happened to Burdi? Was just about to write that a good old-fashioned ass kicking might be good for this team.
We don't know yet. He threw a pitch and then fell to the ground, doubled over in pain, clutching his right bicep and crying. I can only guess the muscle was torn or the bone was broken. 

Hopefully. Broken bone or muscle tear could cost him the year, but should have him back for ST next year, I'd imagine. TJ would cost him a calendar year, and being his second, could potentially be career-threatening.

I know nothing, but that had the look of a guy experiencing the end of his career too early. Holding his elbow/bicep. Already had TJ. At the very least, he knows all of the work it takes to get back. My take is that he was sobbing more for the reality that was now his rather than the pain. I couldn’t watch it. I hurt for him.
Ecbucs

Pirates vs Dbacks 4/22

Post by Ecbucs »

160B2F2D23460 wrote: I turned it off. What happened to Burdi? Was just about to write that a good old-fashioned ass kicking might be good for this team.
We don't know yet. He threw a pitch and then fell to the ground, doubled over in pain, clutching his right bicep and crying. I can only guess the muscle was torn or the bone was broken. 

Hopefully. Broken bone or muscle tear could cost him the year, but should have him back for ST next year, I'd imagine. TJ would cost him a calendar year, and being his second, could potentially be career-threatening.

I know nothing, but that had the look of a guy experiencing the end of his career too early.  Holding his elbow/bicep.  Already had TJ.  At the very least, he knows all of the work it takes to get back.  My take is that he was sobbing more for the reality that was now his rather than the pain.  I couldn’t watch it.  I hurt for him.

yeah, I hope he is okay. I feel for Burdi.
dmetz

Pirates vs Dbacks 4/22

Post by dmetz »

Hopefully it's a biceps tear.

But ultimately, if it's not and it's ligament again. Congratulations to him for realizing his dream of being a ML Pitcher.
fjk090852-7

Pirates vs Dbacks 4/22

Post by fjk090852-7 »

What a shame for Nick Burdi. He was looking like someone who you could slot into the late innings. I feel for him. Saturday we witnessed a high for Cole Tucker with his homer, and last night we saw the low with a young pitcher grabbing his arm in pain after delivering a pitch.
rucker59@gmail.com

Pirates vs Dbacks 4/22

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

I hate this for Nick Burdi, and hold out hope it is RELATIVELY minor. And I hate this for his family: Nick has a brother in the White Sox organization and he is due back on the mound sometime this week after TJ surgery nearly 2 years ago.

Both brothers have high-end potential. for both to go down with TJ...crazy. If nick is down a second time that would be truly devastating. It would take a lot of guts to rehab a second time.

I hate this for the pirates. I've been excited about Burdi since the Pirates acquired him. Definitely had closer potential and on the Pirates, he could have created an amazing backend with V. Heck, in my preseason prediction I listed Burdi as one of the reasons for my optimism.

Hoping for surprising good news.

mouse

Pirates vs Dbacks 4/22

Post by mouse »

Great news on Burdi. Strained biceps tendon, flexor mass. Rest but no surgery (per mlbtr)
IABucFan

Pirates vs Dbacks 4/22

Post by IABucFan »

3C3E242234510 wrote: Great news on Burdi. Strained biceps tendon, flexor mass. Rest but no surgery (per mlbtr)

Wow! That’s awesome! For him and us. I agree with VA...future closer.
BenM

Pirates vs Dbacks 4/22

Post by BenM »

63617B7D6B0E0 wrote: Great news on Burdi. Strained biceps tendon, flexor mass. Rest but no surgery (per mlbtr)

That is great news. I was sure he was looking at surgery. And from the expression on his face, I think he was too.