6/13 game thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SCBucco

6/13 game thread

Post by SCBucco »

537C7B67607B725C7B7A6167140 wrote: Holy smokes!  Get the hook, Hurdle!  Wake up, man.

OK ... so who do you have confidence in as far as bullpen arm?

I would go Rodriguez, but he is on the DL

I might go with Santana next (good WHIP ... high ERA due to maybe one bad outing)

The rest scare the hell out of me.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

6/13 game thread

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

11362723263B04302726263B420 wrote: Good win?  Jesus H. Montero! that was not well played...   

Turn it all around this homestand and run off 5-6 straight.  To do that, we will need to pull our you know what out of where and play this game the right way.   We shall see The Pirates need to win this series against a pretty bad Reds team coming up this weekend at home. They haven’t won a 3 game series or any series for that matter in 5 weeks. They better win this one no excuses not too. You gotta start somewhere to get back on track and this weekend against this Reds team is a good time to do so. If the Pirates can’t win this series at least 2 out of 3 then I don’t know when they will win another series again.

They were a couple plays away of sweeping the Diamondbacks. They have to get back to winning series.
skinnyhorse

6/13 game thread

Post by skinnyhorse »

Rivero is a total mental case, he should never be left in the game with the game on the line.  He is a mental mess.
INbuc

6/13 game thread

Post by INbuc »

I often feel Vazquez gets lazy finishing his pitches.  Unlike Melancon, who delivered with the accuracy of a dart thrower, Vazquez is more of a slinger..."Here is my stuff, try and hit it."   This year opponents are not only doing that, they are taking pitches and making him work.

The thing I haven't seen as much of this year is the great snap on his breaking pitch.  My trip to Fangraphs confirmed Vazquez is throwing his slider a career low 3.6% of the time--- down from his previous career low of 13% last season.

Major leaguers eventually hit fastballs and change ups, which he is throwing a career high 23% of the time in 2018. 

Headcase or not, I would be patient with Vazquez.  Let him return to his power repertoire (more sliders, less change ups) and let's see if he rebounds.  A good slider might finish off those 6, 7, and 8 pitch at bats he is struggling through.
CarolinaBucco

6/13 game thread

Post by CarolinaBucco »

This series was classic Pirates.

Outplayed the D-Backs 2 of 3.

Won 1 of 3.

Came within an eyelash of winning 0 of 3.
Bobster21

6/13 game thread

Post by Bobster21 »

696E425543200 wrote: I often feel Vazquez gets lazy finishing his pitches.  Unlike Melancon, who delivered with the accuracy of a dart thrower, Vazquez is more of a slinger..."Here is my stuff, try and hit it."   This year opponents are not only doing that, they are taking pitches and making him work.

The thing I haven't seen as much of this year is the great snap on his breaking pitch.  My trip to Fangraphs confirmed Vazquez is throwing his slider a career low 3.6% of the time--- down from his previous career low of 13% last season.

Major leaguers eventually hit fastballs and change ups, which he is throwing a career high 23% of the time in 2018. 

Headcase or not, I would be patient with Vazquez.  Let him return to his power repertoire (more sliders, less change ups) and let's see if he rebounds.  A good slider might finish off those 6, 7, and 8 pitch at bats he is struggling through.
It seems like he is very often throwing pitches nowhere near the strike zone. RH batters often see pitches 4 feet outside or 3 feet high. A MLB pitcher--especially one who has had success--should not be that wild. That seems like a mechanical problem. He gets behind on most batters and they either walk or wait for him to groove something down the middle on a 3-ball count. He's a completely different pitcher this year.

2017: 47 hits in 75.1 IP. 2.4 BBs/9 IP. ERA 1.67. WHIP 0.889.

2018: 25 hits in 25.2 IP. 4.2 BBs/9 IP. ERA 4.21. WHIP 1.442.

Sadly, there's not a single pitcher in the BP who can be trusted in any inning, any situation.

SteadyFreddy

6/13 game thread

Post by SteadyFreddy »

050E060A0F0E155056211800090E0E4F020E610 wrote: Good win?  Jesus H. Montero! that was not well played...   

Turn it all around this homestand and run off 5-6 straight.  To do that, we will need to pull our you know what out of where and play this game the right way.   We shall see The Pirates need to win this series against a pretty bad Reds team coming up this weekend at home. They haven’t won a 3 game series or any series for that matter in 5 weeks. They better win this one no excuses not too. You gotta start somewhere to get back on track and this weekend against this Reds team is a good time to do so. If the Pirates can’t win this series at least 2 out of 3 then I don’t know when they will win another series again.

They were a couple plays away of sweeping the Diamondbacks. They have to get back to winning series. Yea but they didn’t sweep them they barely won one game. They don’t give you extra wins for only blowing a 5-0 lead and coming back down 8-0 and making it 8-6 as opposed to blowing a 2-1 lead. The Pirates got what they deserved this series with Arizona and deserved to lose 2 out of 3. This team still has a ton of issues and I am not sold on them turning things around and going on any kind of winning streak anytime soon.
SammyKhalifa

6/13 game thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

He should definitely change his name back.
Bobster21

6/13 game thread

Post by Bobster21 »

6C5E52524674575E5356595E3F0 wrote: He should definitely change his name back.
Turns out "Felipe Vazquez" is Spanish for "Ricky Vaughn." Who knew? ;)
gileszee

6/13 game thread

Post by gileszee »

"Give him the heater Ricky"...LOL