The Roster

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SyrBucco

The Roster

Post by SyrBucco »

032922122533333F500 wrote: There's going to be quite the competition for the last position player spot, and many factors are at play.

The team currently has no one to give Cruz a breather at SS. A righty hitter would have been ideal , someone with a reliable glove. But that ship sailed with Newman and Castillo on it. Two lefty hitters, Bae and Marcano, have some experience there. A switch-hitter, Castro, hasn't played the position very well, to be kind. Even Triolo is a dark horse candidate, given his glove and versatility.

Until Reynolds is traded, the Bucs have 5 strong contenders for OF spots. There's Suwinsky and Joe, likely in a platoon. Then we need to determine if Andujar or Mitchell will factor in. Bae and Marcano have to be considered as well. Bae could be our leadoff hitter.

So who's the odd man out? I don't have an answer, but I'm leaning toward Marcano over Triolo and Mitchell. If memory serves, Marcano was a solid glove in both the INF and OF last year. But somebody's got to win the job in Spring Training.

I think Andujar is going to make it, because the Bucs will need a right handed bat vs. lefty pitching. Here's a possible lineup vs. LHSP:

Joe, LF/RF (.349 OBP last year vs. LHSP)

Hayes, 3B

Reynolds, CF

Santana, 1B/DH

Castro, 2B

Andujar, DH/1B/LF/RF

Cruz, SS

Hedges, C

Bae/Marcano, LF/RF

Doesn't leave us with a good righty bat on the bench, but 3 decent lefty batters and a reserve catcher will have to do.
Welcome aboard Cutch, but it's a tight ship, and we're going to have to throw somebody overboard. If it's my call, I'll sacrifice Marcano's spot on the 26-man, and hope that Bae can give Cruz a breather at SS when needed.

The 40-man choice is easier for me, since I'm not emotionally invested in Vilade. We do need a righty bat at AAA, but Gorski looks ready enough if Vilade gets snagged when we DFA him.

Did I say welcome home Cutch? Welcome home!
UtahPirate

The Roster

Post by UtahPirate »

5D777C4C7B6D6D610E0 wrote: There's going to be quite the competition for the last position player spot, and many factors are at play.

The team currently has no one to give Cruz a breather at SS. A righty hitter would have been ideal , someone with a reliable glove. But that ship sailed with Newman and Castillo on it. Two lefty hitters, Bae and Marcano, have some experience there. A switch-hitter, Castro, hasn't played the position very well, to be kind. Even Triolo is a dark horse candidate, given his glove and versatility.

Until Reynolds is traded, the Bucs have 5 strong contenders for OF spots. There's Suwinsky and Joe, likely in a platoon. Then we need to determine if Andujar or Mitchell will factor in. Bae and Marcano have to be considered as well. Bae could be our leadoff hitter.

So who's the odd man out? I don't have an answer, but I'm leaning toward Marcano over Triolo and Mitchell. If memory serves, Marcano was a solid glove in both the INF and OF last year. But somebody's got to win the job in Spring Training.

I think Andujar is going to make it, because the Bucs will need a right handed bat vs. lefty pitching. Here's a possible lineup vs. LHSP:

Joe, LF/RF (.349 OBP last year vs. LHSP)

Hayes, 3B

Reynolds, CF

Santana, 1B/DH

Castro, 2B

Andujar, DH/1B/LF/RF

Cruz, SS

Hedges, C

Bae/Marcano, LF/RF

Doesn't leave us with a good righty bat on the bench, but 3 decent lefty batters and a reserve catcher will have to do.
Welcome aboard Cutch, but it's a tight ship, and we're going to have to throw somebody overboard. If it's my call, I'll sacrifice Marcano's spot on the 26-man, and hope that Bae can give Cruz a breather at SS when needed.

The 40-man choice is easier for me, since I'm not emotionally invested in Vilade. We do need a righty bat at AAA, but Gorski looks ready enough if Vilade gets snagged when we DFA him.

Did I say welcome home Cutch? Welcome home!

Can't help but be excited by this! Although it makes more sense if Reynolds gets traded.

Since throwing a fit over keeping Vilade months ago, I've done some more research and I think he stays and Kranick goes with this.

Vilade is a high-contact, low K, high BB guy and I've scratched my head on why the Rockies gave up on him since digging up more about him. An early second-round pick in 2017, he's only 24, played well in his minor league stops and in the AFL. I can't help wondering if he ticked somebody in the Rockies org off so they dumped him. Bucs have remained committed to him for quite awhile now.

We shall see, all 40-man moves right now are interesting.

And if Reynolds does get traded and we bring in more 40-man players, the roster will get super interesting.
3pirates3

The Roster

Post by 3pirates3 »

"As a corresponding move to signing Andrew McCutchen, the Pirates have DFA OF Miguel Andujar.  Andujar batted .250/.275/.389 with 3 doubles, a triple and 9 RBIs in 9 games for the Pirates after being claimed off waivers from the Yankees in late September and signed for $1.525M." - Gorman

https://twitter.com/KevinGormanPGH/stat ... 2277458944
fjk090852-7

The Roster

Post by fjk090852-7 »

6C2F362D3E2B3A2C6C5F0 wrote: "As a corresponding move to signing Andrew McCutchen, the Pirates have DFA OF Miguel Andujar.  Andujar batted .250/.275/.389 with 3 doubles, a triple and 9 RBIs in 9 games for the Pirates after being claimed off waivers from the Yankees in late September and signed for $1.525M." - Gorman

I am disappointed with that move. I liked the move when they claimed Andujar in late September. I am sure a team will claim him since he is designated for assignment.

Osushawn

The Roster

Post by Osushawn »

7E7273282128202D2A352F180 wrote: "As a corresponding move to signing Andrew McCutchen, the Pirates have DFA OF Miguel Andujar.  Andujar batted .250/.275/.389 with 3 doubles, a triple and 9 RBIs in 9 games for the Pirates after being claimed off waivers from the Yankees in late September and signed for $1.525M." - Gorman

I am disappointed with that move. I liked the move when they claimed Andujar in late September. I am sure a team will claim him since he is designated for assignment.

This one sucks. I thought he would get some PT and break through this year. I sure hope Vilade is worth it. Oh well!
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Roster

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

0E4D544F5C49584E0E3D0 wrote: "As a corresponding move to signing Andrew McCutchen, the Pirates have DFA OF Miguel Andujar.  Andujar batted .250/.275/.389 with 3 doubles, a triple and 9 RBIs in 9 games for the Pirates after being claimed off waivers from the Yankees in late September and signed for $1.525M." - Gorman

This one’s a head scratcher. His power potential was enough to keep him around at least through the Deadline. Maybe there’s more to this than meets the eye. Was he a problem in the clubhouse?
WildwoodDave2

The Roster

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

6C3A2C38372D3D363B2C1E39333F3732703D5E0 wrote: "As a corresponding move to signing Andrew McCutchen, the Pirates have DFA OF Miguel Andujar.  Andujar batted .250/.275/.389 with 3 doubles, a triple and 9 RBIs in 9 games for the Pirates after being claimed off waivers from the Yankees in late September and signed for $1.525M." - Gorman

This one’s a head scratcher.  His power potential was enough to keep him around at least through the Deadline.  Maybe there’s more to this than meets the eye.  Was he a problem in the clubhouse? 

I'm with you, doc
SyrBucco

The Roster

Post by SyrBucco »

I never saw this one coming. There's got to be a story here. I thought Andujar was going to help us.

Just one thought: will Andujar's 1.5M salary make him less likely to be picked up by another team? Would he play for us at Indy?
Ecbucs

The Roster

Post by Ecbucs »

664C47774056565A350 wrote: I never saw this one coming. There's got to be a story here. I thought Andujar was going to help us.

Just one thought: will Andujar's 1.5M salary make him less likely to be picked up by another team? Would he play for us at Indy?

my guess is that the Bucs will be able to get something for him. Have no idea why Vivalde is still on team. Somebody (probably more than one) is pounding the table for him.
MaineBucs

The Roster

Post by MaineBucs »

I too did not anticipate Andujar being the one to go, particularly after the Bucs quickly resigned him to a contract last year. That said, the move appears to make sense for the construction of next year's roster with Santana, Choi, Joe, and Cutch on the team. That's a total of 4 of the 13 position players on the roster who have limited defensive flexibility. As I posted when Cutch was signed, I hoped that BC would have traded Choi to create a roster spot.

I know that many are thrilled to see Cutch"s return and I hope that he does well (at least as well that he did for Milwaukee last year.) However, there is some likelihood that Andujar could have provided equal production.