Newman

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Newman

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

6D4C446D464E290 wrote: The Bucs need to move Oneill Cruz to the OF yesterday!

Cole Tucker needs to show a decent average at AAA for me to take him seriously. I like Newman a lot more than most, and predict that he'll be hitting above .250 by the All Star break. Defensively, he reminds me of Jody Mercer: steady, not spectacular. I agree with everyone about Erik Gonzalez. He's a MLB utility man.

All in all, I think the "problem" at SS will slip away as Hayes and Moran return to the lineup. We have too many guys hitting in the .100's to win games.

Before they move Cruz to the OF they need to see if he can become a better all-around hitter than Pooplanco.  So far this season in Altoona he is hitting .241 with 2 HR, 9 RBI and 28% K percentage in just 24 games.  Let's get his hitting up to snuff and then worry about him defensively in the OF.

Possum, I can’t tell if you think Cruz should replace Newman. I have to agree with Syr that Newman is the better option over Cruz.

It seems strange to me that folks want to replace Newman who can’t hit major league pitching with a guy who can’t hit minor league pitching.

Wins and loses mean nothing this year. It sure seems like Newman has plenty of time to prove himself, or not.
DemDog

Newman

Post by DemDog »

4D4A5C545A4D0A067F58525E5653115C50523F0 wrote: The Bucs need to move Oneill Cruz to the OF yesterday!

Cole Tucker needs to show a decent average at AAA for me to take him seriously. I like Newman a lot more than most, and predict that he'll be hitting above .250 by the All Star break. Defensively, he reminds me of Jody Mercer: steady, not spectacular. I agree with everyone about Erik Gonzalez. He's a MLB utility man.

All in all, I think the "problem" at SS will slip away as Hayes and Moran return to the lineup. We have too many guys hitting in the .100's to win games.

Before they move Cruz to the OF they need to see if he can become a better all-around hitter than Pooplanco.  So far this season in Altoona he is hitting .241 with 2 HR, 9 RBI and 28% K percentage in just 24 games.  Let's get his hitting up to snuff and then worry about him defensively in the OF.

Possum, I can’t tell if you think Cruz should replace Newman.  I have to agree with Syr that Newman is the better option over Cruz. 

It seems strange to me that folks want to replace Newman who can’t hit major league pitching with a guy who can’t hit minor league pitching. 

Wins and loses mean nothing this year.  It sure seems like Newman has plenty of time to prove himself, or not. 

I make statements like Rudy G. :D Now way to I think Cruz should be groomed at SS. Right now I agree with you that Cruz has to learn to hit AA pitching before the Bucs decide on what position he plays.
Bobster21

Newman

Post by Bobster21 »

Tucker's getting a start at SS tonight.
skinnyhorse

Newman

Post by skinnyhorse »

597F786D64687F69610A0 wrote: I don't even see there being any question that Gonzalez is the way to go. He's an excellent defender at SS and 3B, makes him way more useful than Newman.

Still have to question what the point of bringing Tucker up though. I thought it was to make SS like the OF merry-go-round, keep throwing something out there hoping something sticks.

The reason I want to give Cruz a try is he's 6'7", 220 lb. propect who is coordinated enough to play short. He has the physicalness we need. We're never going to become the lumber company again with 5'!!' skinny guys. We need someone who can drive the ball, hit the ball hard. Oneal has been in the minors for years it's time to get him out of that environment, give him a taste of the bigs and he won't want to go back.