Game Thread - 8/16 - Bucs vs BoSox

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

The Sox won, but their 'ferocious' line-up had maybe one hard hit ball all night, and they had no hits after the 2nd.

I also listened to the Sox broadcast and heard Eck's comments. Our line-up is not good, particularly with Cruz and Madris in the midst of really bad nose-dives, and now another journey-man batting in the heart of the order. Eck, however, was never one to do much homework before a game, and when the Sox haven't played the Pirates for three years, if he doesn't recognize the players he is lost and relies on being snarky.

That said, the missed fly by Cruz was bad, the drop by Reynolds was unfortunate (and infrequent), and now we need to hope that Kellar's new pitching array hasn't damaged his elbow. It also was concerning to see Cruz try and call Newman off a pop-up that clearly was Newman's.

Oh well, another loss. And, with DeJong throwing 4 (very good innings tonight --- great to see him acknowledge the defense as he left the mound) tonight and Banuelos closing out the 9th, the pen is likely down to Holderman and prayers tomorrow. Gotta hope that someone among the rookies starts to hit.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Listening to the game on the radio, I heard the home guys.  I heard Eckersley's comments and saw the Cruz blunder on internet replay.

How in God's name do you leave a pitcher in when you see that his velocity is down by something like 7 mph?  There was obviously something wrong with him.  Someone should have to answer for that.  I hope that Keller will be all right.

No manager should leave any pitcher in under those circumstances.  For all I know, the signs could have been there during warm up.

As for Eckersley's comments, I can't be too critical of him.  I've written essentially the same thing as what he said.  Though the Red Sox are surely a much better club than the Pirates, I will only remind people that they are, like the Pirates, a last place club themselves. (Note- I am aware that they are in higher quality division.) The Dodgers' and Mets' announcers could think that we have Hodgepodge company in the Red Sox.

I am even more gravely concerned about the Pirates than I was at 6:00 yesterday evening.