Unfortunate Winning Streak

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

steve49

Post by steve49 »

6C4D456C474F280 wrote: I'm glad for Glasnow, Meadows, Baz.  I doubt that any of them would eventually mature in Pgh.  As for appeasing the fan base the day of the deal we were all really happy for the most part on OBN.  For once we felt that NH had decided to go out of the box at the deadline.  For me it is too early to judge this trade unless one of the 3 and or Archer blows out an arm, knee etc.  Remember maxima enim, patientia virtus (patience is the greatest virtue).

If you doubt neither of those 3 guys would develop in Pittsburgh , you should be clamoring for a new front office instead of having false hopes and watching Pirate baseball. Well... fine to watch but don't think you'll ever live to see another Pitt WS if that's the case.

Let's take Meadows ... is your position he would never develop because he's blocked by a journeyman (having a great year) that has one year of control left ? If Dickerson reallyhas suddenly found it and was good enough to bury your top prospect , the Pirates would be too cheap to resign or extend him anyways.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

33342536257479400 wrote: I'm glad for Glasnow, Meadows, Baz.  I doubt that any of them would eventually mature in Pgh.  As for appeasing the fan base the day of the deal we were all really happy for the most part on OBN.  For once we felt that NH had decided to go out of the box at the deadline.  For me it is too early to judge this trade unless one of the 3 and or Archer blows out an arm, knee etc.  Remember maxima enim, patientia virtus (patience is the greatest virtue).

If you doubt neither of those 3 guys would develop in Pittsburgh , you should be clamoring for a new front office instead of having false hopes and watching Pirate baseball. Well... fine to watch but don't think you'll ever live to see another Pitt WS if that's the case.

Let's take Meadows ... is your position he would never develop because he's blocked by a journeyman (having  a great year) that has one year of control left ? If Dickerson reallyhas suddenly found it and was good enough to bury your top prospect , the Pirates would be too cheap to resign or extend him anyways.

Steve don't you know it is not nice to call out a ADMIN? ;D

It has been 52 yrs since I took freshman English in college and I got straight Ds Many times my writing here makes Mario Mendoza look like Ted Williams.

You point out some good points that I did not explain better. As I think about it Meadows was hard to give up and the Bucs perhaps should have moved someone else such as the journeyman you mentioned. While there is still no guarantee that Meadows will be much better than him your point of keeping Meadows around is valid.

On the other hand the Bucs wanted proven top starter for the rotation especially when the deal was made and the team was really hot. To take your point further who is to say that Archer is nothing more than a journeyman starter now a days due to his poor performance the last couple years. Perhaps the near sightedness of NH & CH keep them from seeing that one change in Glasnow (allowing him to pitch high in the zone) would make him possibly better that Arche ever will be for the Bucs.

All I am saying is, it is too early to have knee jerk reaction to the deal and what we got and gave away. But you and I and the rest of the guys on this board need to keep track over the next few years how these guys do. I am not talking about how the team does but how each one develops and produces on his own.

Thanks for your understanding if any of that makes sense to you. If not just grab a fungo bat and come smack me upside the head and knock some sense into me.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

77565E775C54330 wrote: I'm glad for Glasnow, Meadows, Baz.  I doubt that any of them would eventually mature in Pgh.  As for appeasing the fan base the day of the deal we were all really happy for the most part on OBN.  For once we felt that NH had decided to go out of the box at the deadline.  For me it is too early to judge this trade unless one of the 3 and or Archer blows out an arm, knee etc.  Remember maxima enim, patientia virtus (patience is the greatest virtue).

Let's take Meadows ... is your position he would never develop because he's blocked by a journeyman (having  a great year) that has one year of control left ? If Dickerson reallyhas suddenly found it and was good enough to bury your top prospect , the Pirates would be too cheap to resign or extend him anyways.

Steve don't you know it is not nice to call out a ADMIN?   ;D

It has been 52 yrs since I took freshman English in college and I got straight Ds  Many times my writing here makes Mario Mendoza look like Ted Williams.

You point out some good points that I did not explain better.  As I think about it Meadows was hard to give up and the Bucs perhaps should have moved someone else such as the journeyman you mentioned.  While there is still no guarantee that Meadows will be much better than him your point of keeping Meadows around is valid. 

On the other hand the Bucs wanted proven top starter for the rotation especially when the deal was made and the team was really hot.  To take your point further who is to say that Archer is nothing more than a journeyman starter now a days due to his poor performance the last couple years.  Perhaps the near sightedness of NH & CH keep them from seeing that one change in Glasnow (allowing him to pitch high in the zone) would make him possibly better that Arche ever will be for the Bucs.

All I am saying is, it is too early to have knee jerk reaction to the deal and what we got and gave away.  But you and I and the rest of the guys on this board need to keep track over the next few years how these guys do.  I am not talking about how the team does but how each one develops and produces on his own.

Thanks for your understanding if any of that makes sense to you.  If not just grab a fungo bat and come smack me upside the head and knock some sense into me.

Ha... just 50 years since I took freshman English. Lotsa D's in my college career so we talk the same language. I now better understand where you're coming from and also will think twice about attacking the elder statesman on the board again. I think maybe I'm second oldest....
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

52554457441518210 wrote: I'm glad for Glasnow, Meadows, Baz.  I doubt that any of them would eventually mature in Pgh.  As for appeasing the fan base the day of the deal we were all really happy for the most part on OBN.  For once we felt that NH had decided to go out of the box at the deadline.  For me it is too early to judge this trade unless one of the 3 and or Archer blows out an arm, knee etc.  Remember maxima enim, patientia virtus (patience is the greatest virtue).

It has been 52 yrs since I took freshman English in college and I got straight Ds  Many times my writing here makes Mario Mendoza look like Ted Williams.

You point out some good points that I did not explain better.  As I think about it Meadows was hard to give up and the Bucs perhaps should have moved someone else such as the journeyman you mentioned.  While there is still no guarantee that Meadows will be much better than him your point of keeping Meadows around is valid. 

On the other hand the Bucs wanted proven top starter for the rotation especially when the deal was made and the team was really hot.  To take your point further who is to say that Archer is nothing more than a journeyman starter now a days due to his poor performance the last couple years.  Perhaps the near sightedness of NH & CH keep them from seeing that one change in Glasnow (allowing him to pitch high in the zone) would make him possibly better that Arche ever will be for the Bucs.

All I am saying is, it is too early to have knee jerk reaction to the deal and what we got and gave away.  But you and I and the rest of the guys on this board need to keep track over the next few years how these guys do.  I am not talking about how the team does but how each one develops and produces on his own.

Thanks for your understanding if any of that makes sense to you.  If not just grab a fungo bat and come smack me upside the head and knock some sense into me.

Ha... just 50 years since I took freshman English. Lotsa D's in my college career so we talk the same language. I now better understand where you're coming from and also will think twice about attacking the elder statesman on the board again. I think maybe I'm second oldest....

There goes the coffee up through my nose when I read your reply. But my biggest excuse for screwing up and it has never been tested is that "I'm bald and on Medicare!" I will remember that you are an "'Ol Fart" like me and give you lots of breaks on OBN. ;) ;) ;)
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

It would be nice if Archer would just have one game where we see signs of brilliance and feel like the trade might work out. But so far every game has been a disappointment. Dare we hope for a breakthrough tonight? As for Glasnow, we'll never know if he would have done better as a Pirate. I'm in the camp that thinks he had to have a change of scenery but we'll never know so there's no right or wrong answer. Some are saying TB has him pitching up and the Pirates discouraged that but Glasnow said the opposite. He said the Pirates tried to get him to pitch up but he couldn't do it effectively until he got to TB. What everyone seemed to agree on is that he had major confidence problems while on the mound for the Pirates. So I don't know when or how that was going to change. He was down on himself and fearing he'd never be the pitcher everyone thought he could be. But the change in TB was immediate. So I believe the knowledge that TB wanted him and gave up a "name" pitcher to get him boosted his confidence. Still too early to tell about the trade. Of course the early returns look awful. But it's still possible that Archer rebounds, Meadows and Glasnow become good but not great and Baz never lives up to his 1 rd hype. I'm certainly not making that a prediction. Just pointing out that we're still ranking this trade on a SSS.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

062B26373021367675440 wrote: It would be nice if Archer would just have one game where we see signs of brilliance and feel like the trade might work out. But so far every game has been a disappointment. Dare we hope for a breakthrough tonight? As for Glasnow, we'll never know if he would have done better as a Pirate. I'm in the camp that thinks he had to have a change of scenery but we'll never know so there's no right or wrong answer. Some are saying TB has him pitching up and the Pirates discouraged that but Glasnow said the opposite. He said the Pirates tried to get him to pitch up but he couldn't do it effectively until he got to TB. What everyone seemed to agree on is that he had major confidence problems while on the mound for the Pirates. So I don't know when or how that was going to change. He was down on himself and fearing he'd never be the pitcher everyone thought he could be. But the change in TB was immediate. So I believe the knowledge that TB wanted him and gave up a "name" pitcher to get him boosted his confidence. Still too early to tell about the trade. Of course the early returns look awful. But it's still possible that Archer rebounds, Meadows and Glasnow become good but not great and Baz never lives up to his 1 rd hype. I'm certainly not making that a prediction. Just pointing out that we're still ranking this trade on a SSS.

Well tonight was a start. Believe me , I don't want Archer to fail so I can say I told you so. I've been a loyal fan since 1959.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

4E6F674E656D0A0 wrote: I'm glad for Glasnow, Meadows, Baz.  I doubt that any of them would eventually mature in Pgh.  As for appeasing the fan base the day of the deal we were all really happy for the most part on OBN.  For once we felt that NH had decided to go out of the box at the deadline.  For me it is too early to judge this trade unless one of the 3 and or Archer blows out an arm, knee etc.  Remember maxima enim, patientia virtus (patience is the greatest virtue).

There goes the coffee up through my nose when I read your reply.  But my biggest excuse for screwing up and it has never been tested is that "I'm bald and on Medicare!"  I will remember that you are an "'Ol Fart" like me and give you lots of breaks on OBN.   ;) ;) ;)

Ditto on the bald and medicare. I wish the hair on my head would grow like the hair in my ears.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

4B4C5D4E5D0C01380 wrote: I'm glad for Glasnow, Meadows, Baz.  I doubt that any of them would eventually mature in Pgh.  As for appeasing the fan base the day of the deal we were all really happy for the most part on OBN.  For once we felt that NH had decided to go out of the box at the deadline.  For me it is too early to judge this trade unless one of the 3 and or Archer blows out an arm, knee etc.  Remember maxima enim, patientia virtus (patience is the greatest virtue).

There goes the coffee up through my nose when I read your reply.  But my biggest excuse for screwing up and it has never been tested is that "I'm bald and on Medicare!"  I will remember that you are an "'Ol Fart" like me and give you lots of breaks on OBN.   ;) ;) ;)

Ditto on the bald and medicare. I wish the hair on my head would grow like the hair in my ears.

Hey, what a great idea Steve. We can just let the hair in our ears grow longer and do a double comb over and fill that gap on top! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
steve49

Post by steve49 »

57767E577C74130 wrote: I'm glad for Glasnow, Meadows, Baz.  I doubt that any of them would eventually mature in Pgh.  As for appeasing the fan base the day of the deal we were all really happy for the most part on OBN.  For once we felt that NH had decided to go out of the box at the deadline.  For me it is too early to judge this trade unless one of the 3 and or Archer blows out an arm, knee etc.  Remember maxima enim, patientia virtus (patience is the greatest virtue).

Hey, what a great idea Steve.  We can just let the hair in our ears grow longer and do a double comb over and fill that gap on top!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Brilliant idea on your part. I have spent my last $20 on those painful wax jobs on my ears. Muy gracias.