Reds@Pirates 6/17 Game Thread...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

INbuc

Post by INbuc »

Random thoughts:

1. Hamilton would a hall of famer if the Reds only played the Bucs.

2. Does anyone in the organization teach our pitchers how to hold on base runners?

3. Santana opens up the left side of his delivery very early in his pitches---it gives hitters a great view of his release.

4. I wonder what the average exit velocity of Polanco's three hits was today? He smoked all three.

5. Marte runs really fast.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Polanco for the HOF! 8-)
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

The Pirates needed to get this one today again I felt and as usual they fail to get the job done. They needed to take advantage of beating a bad Reds team 3 games if possible with the Brewers and Diamondbacks coming up this week. The Pirates have to have a good week here if they hope to stay in this race realistically and eventually get back over the .500 mark. Can’t afford a week of 2-5 or something like that in these next 7 games. I think a 4-3 record  this week against the Brewers and DBacks and a 4-2 record next week against the Mets and Padres on the road is critical to stay in this race of any kind as we end June and head into July and reach the halfway point of the season.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Nice to see Polanco hit so well. If he's gotta play 75% if the time he needs to get hits. And more than just once a month. Typical BP meltdown today. Offense kept fighting back but Santana's 9th was too much to overcome.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I think Huntington’s comments before the game today on his show were very annoying once again speaking about attendance. Huntington said “If we are able to turn a corner and draw more people out then we’ll be able to put more into the club but they don’t necessarily go hand in hand. As we have shown in the past when the resources are there we’ll apply them.” Way to blame the fans once again Neal for your mismanagement of the team. This guy is something else.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

486F7E7A7F625D697E7F7F621B0 wrote: I think Huntington’s comments before the game today on his show were very annoying once again speaking about attendance. Huntington said “If we are able to turn a corner and draw more people out then we’ll be able to put more into the club but they don’t necessarily go hand in hand. As we have shown in the past when the resources are there we’ll apply them.” Way to blame the fans once again Neal for your mismanagement of the team. This guy is something else.
OMG! Like the way they applied the resources after a franchise attendance record in 2015 by signing Jaso and Vogelsong for 2016? Is that how they have shown in the past? What a POS! One of the biggest PR problems this organization has is the way they blatantly lie to the fan base and think we're too stupid to notice.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

THE RESOURCES WERE THERE FOLLOWING THE 2015 SEASON AND THEY WERE NOT APPLIED.

I can't believe he actually said what is attributed to him.

That is infuriating to me.
Quail

Post by Quail »

Fans: Mr. Huntington, what kind of fools do you take us for?

NH: First class!

The disrespect this organization has for its fans is unbelievable. >:(

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

745954454253440407360 wrote: I think Huntington’s comments before the game today on his show were very annoying once again speaking about attendance. Huntington said “If we are able to turn a corner and draw more people out then we’ll be able to put more into the club but they don’t necessarily go hand in hand. As we have shown in the past when the resources are there we’ll apply them.” Way to blame the fans once again Neal for your mismanagement of the team. This guy is something else.
OMG! Like the way they applied the resources after a franchise attendance record in 2015 by signing Jaso and Vogelsong for 2016? Is that how they have shown in the past? What a POS! One of the biggest PR problems this organization has is the way they blatantly lie to the fan base and think we're too stupid to notice.

>:(

I didn’t hear Neal’s show, but if it’s as Freddy says (and I have no reason to doubt Freddy) Neal and whoever orchestrated this narrative (Frank?) should be fired immediately.  I’m stunned they would dare go down this path once again.

1. So Neal is telling us that payroll FOLLOWS attendance, how does he explain payroll decreasing from $105M in 2015 to $94 in 2016 (Spotrac)? 

2.  Prior to 2016 the Pirates’ FO was consistent in stating that payroll will follow salary. In 2016 the story changed to a vague  proclamation that payroll will Follow some unverifiable league metric.  The Pirates proceeded to dismantle one of the best teams in baseball.  The 2015 team was dead by the start of 2016.  In 2017 the Pirates would not even carry three OFers for much of the season.

3. Pirate fans Not only endured the presence of John Jaso (and others that had no business being on the team), they

- endure Lectures by Jaso that we’re not good enough to play MLB when fans complained about lack of hustle,

-  Watch the Pirates let JA Happ walk for a few million as we sign Vogelsong,

- watch the trade of the century as we deal a starting pitcher AND prospects to dump said pitcher’s salary,

- watch  embarrassing fundamentals in the field and out right lack of hustle by certain players (Jaso and Marte particularly)

- watch as our 3rd baseman nearly kills himself and others in his THIRD incident of DUI,

- endured a season without Our 3rd baseman and without our LFer due to drug use but the team makes no effort to replace either. (I’m sure others can add to the list),

and NOW that Pirate fans respond with their $$$ Neal returns to the BS that payroll follows attendance.  WOW!  These guys are either clueless or think we’re as dumb as cattle. 

Here’s the right thing for management to do: tell folks they understand they broke trust in 2016/17 and tell us they are ready to prove their intentions by reversing the economics: instead of payroll following attendance, the Pirates are ready to increase payroll believing attendance will follow.

Of all the poor decisions made, blaming fans Is the biggest poor decision.

steve49

Post by steve49 »

3631272F2136717D042329252D286A272B29440 wrote: I think Huntington’s comments before the game today on his show were very annoying once again speaking about attendance. Huntington said “If we are able to turn a corner and draw more people out then we’ll be able to put more into the club but they don’t necessarily go hand in hand. As we have shown in the past when the resources are there we’ll apply them.” Way to blame the fans once again Neal for your mismanagement of the team. This guy is something else.

>:(

I didn’t hear Neal’s show, but if it’s as Freddy says (and I have no reason to doubt Freddy) Neal and whoever orchestrated this narrative (Frank?) should be fired immediately.  I’m stunned they would dare go down this path once again.

1. So Neal is telling us that payroll FOLLOWS attendance, how does he explain payroll decreasing from $105M in 2015 to $94 in 2016 (Spotrac)? 

2.  Prior to 2016 the Pirates’ FO was consistent in stating that payroll will follow salary. In 2016 the story changed to a vague  proclamation that payroll will Follow some unverifiable league metric.  The Pirates proceeded to dismantle one of the best teams in baseball.  The 2015 team was dead by the start of 2016.  In 2017 the Pirates would not even carry three OFers for much of the season.

3. Pirate fans Not only endured the presence of John Jaso (and others that had no business being on the team), they

- endure Lectures by Jaso that we’re not good enough to play MLB when fans complained about lack of hustle,

-  Watch the Pirates let JA Happ walk for a few million as we sign Vogelsong,

- watch the trade of the century as we deal a starting pitcher AND prospects to dump said pitcher’s salary,

- watch  embarrassing fundamentals in the field and out right lack of hustle by certain players (Jaso and Marte particularly)

- watch as our 3rd baseman nearly kills himself and others in his THIRD incident of DUI,

- endured a season without Our 3rd baseman and without our LFer due to drug use but the team makes no effort to replace either. (I’m sure others can add to the list),

and NOW that Pirate fans respond with their $$$ Neal returns to the BS that payroll follows attendance.  WOW!  These guys are either clueless or think we’re as dumb as cattle. 

Here’s the right thing for management to do: tell folks they understand they broke trust in 2016/17 and tell us they are ready to prove their intentions by reversing the economics: instead of payroll following attendance, the Pirates are ready to increase payroll believing attendance will follow.

Of all the poor decisions made, blaming fans Is the biggest poor decision.

And he says FU to those that think Nick Kingham should be in the starting rotation... It's , IMO ,sinful that Trevor Williams and Nova are blocking a 25 year old stud . Unfair to Kingham and the fans.