Gregory Polanco Fractures Wrist . . .

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

shedman

Post by shedman »

The only way we will get Jay Bruce is if he will play for the league minimum.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

3C272A2B222E214F0 wrote: The only way we will get Jay Bruce is if he will play for the league minimum.

I give him a couple million with some incentives to raise it up to 4 million or so. What say ye shedman?
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

BOB will have none of that 'spend money' talk.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

I happened to have MLB Network on XM on in my car today. Was actually just skimming through channels as I was driving, and Ben Cherington was on. He actually gave a pretty decent interview, but he said that Polanco hurt his wrist on a slide. I just threw my head back and laughed. Somebody needs to teach that guy how to slide properly, as well with the rest of the skills needed to play baseball.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

587578696E7F68282B1A0 wrote: Doc, it's hard to imagine what "worse" would look like for Nutting's team.   :'(

As a fan, I agree. But I have every bit of faith that Nutting will have us find out.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

474F4C7B6D486F600E0 wrote: I happened to have MLB Network on XM on in my car today. Was actually just skimming through channels as I was driving, and Ben Cherington was on. He actually gave a pretty decent interview, but he said that Polanco hurt his wrist on a slide. I just threw my head back and laughed. Somebody needs to teach that guy how to slide properly, as well with the rest of the skills needed to play baseball.
I get the impression that Polanco is a guy whose superior athleticism enabled him to skate thru amateur and minor league levels while he either wasn't taught or failed to comprehend the nuances of the game. As a result, he has been a below average MLB player who doesn't hit well, field well or run well. I believe his ceiling is that of a 4th OFer who might occasionally be productive but should never be counted on. Only a team like the Pirates would count on him to be a focal point of their offense.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Polanco today is the Polanco of five years ago.  Nobody saw his deficiencies while they crowed about us having the best outfield in baseball (which, of course, we didn't have.)  When you're playing out there with McCutchen and Marte carrying most of the load, things look a lot different.  And, the team's a lot different, too.  That surely magnifies individual deficiencies. The salary increases put a magnifying glass on them.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

033621212A1321212A2D21440 wrote: Polanco today is the Polanco of five years ago.  Nobody saw his deficiencies while they crowed about us having the best outfield in baseball (which, of course, we didn't have.)  When you're playing out there with McCutchen and Marte carrying most of the load, things look a lot different.  And, the team's a lot different, too.  That surely magnifies individual deficiencies.  The salary increases put a magnifying glass on them.
Agreed. I would only add that even before he was part of that OF he was billed as a 3rd of a dream OF upon his arrival from AAA. Another huge failure of the organization to accurately assess talent.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

253E33323B3738560 wrote: The only way we will get Jay Bruce is if he will play for the league minimum.

Whatever BC does, will be the right move.
ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

Didn`t help by giving him all that money right off the bat. It paid off for Pirates with Cutch but Polanco and Tabata have burned us. Bell said the other day Bucs were looking to sign him to extension recently.

Polanco will make the team out of ST and if he does well for a few months, will be traded asap, if not he will quietly be released.