Liriano Returning it appears

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

323E3F646D646C61667963540 wrote: Just read that Liriano has been effective in relief, and  whenever going through  the lineup the first time. Maybe the Pirates are  convinced to use the Opener idea for their number 5 starting pitcher. I would rather they have a set #5 guy, but possibly they may think the Opener plan is the way to go until if and when Keller arrives.

He really hasn't relieved much in his career. 300 starts and 50 relief appearances.

12 in 2006 and 20 in 2017 after he was traded to the Astros. only 1 relief appearance last year.

Still at this stage of this career I could see him being considered for any role. Maybe he will become like Oliver Perez out of the pen.

He did great against lefty swingers last year (516 ops) vs. 824 for righties. Only 98 plate appearances by left handed batters last year.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... fr01.shtml
pghpaulatl

Post by pghpaulatl »

With Liriano, Lyles, Brault, Kingham and others I really think that 5 spot will be "an opener".
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

And I'm sure that plan will work very well ...
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

If Hurdle uses Liriano properly - as a one inning guy facing mostly lefties - I think he'll fill a valuable role for us at a cheap price.

Liriano simply should not start any more, unless it's one of those 1-inning "starter" deals.

I think this moves either Brault or Burdi off the staff, most likely Brault cuz he has an option left and could start at Indy.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

321813231402020E610 wrote: If Hurdle uses Liriano properly - as a one inning guy facing mostly lefties - I think he'll fill a valuable role for us at a cheap price.

Liriano simply should not start any more, unless it's one of those 1-inning "starter" deals.

I think this moves either Brault or Burdi off the staff, most likely Brault cuz he has an option left and could start at Indy.
Since Vazquez is reserved for the closer role, they need 2 more LHPs in the BP. Otherwise with just 1 it's too easy for Hurdle to be outmanaged. The LH BP candidates are now Brault, Liriano and Lyons. That's pretty weak but 2 of them need to stick.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

674A47565140571714250 wrote: If Hurdle uses Liriano properly - as a one inning guy facing mostly lefties - I think he'll fill a valuable role for us at a cheap price.

Since Vazquez is reserved for the closer role, they need 2 more LHPs in the BP. Otherwise with just 1 it's too easy for Hurdle to be outmanaged. The LH BP candidates are now Brault, Liriano and Lyons. That's pretty weak but 2 of them need to stick.

Constructing the bullpen for the opening of the season will be tough. As it now stands if there are no injuries Vazquez, Kela, Crick, and Rich Rod should be locks. Burdi could also be a lock since he needs 60 days on the roster as a rule 5 pick from 2017. That leaves two open spots for Brault, Kingham, Liriano, Lyons and whomever else may be impressive during ST games. I don’t believe Kingham has any options left, so if he was cut at ST I don’t think he will clear waivers. Some team will claim him and add him to their 25 man roster. As we have all heard in the past , these roster concerns all work themselves out, because of an injury or possibly a trade.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

183538292E3F28686B5A0 wrote: If Hurdle uses Liriano properly - as a one inning guy facing mostly lefties - I think he'll fill a valuable role for us at a cheap price.

None of them are good options to come in and get one left handed hitter out (especially if someone is already on base). Brault and Liriano are too wild to count on. Either of them could get Clint to start smoking (like Don Stenhouse and Earl Weaver).
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Well, I didn't see or anticipate that happening. Hope Frankie can add some value to the pen...Curious to see what else No Deal Neal will pull off over the next couple days as players grow desperate to find jobs for 2019...

Bucs Fan in GA 8-)
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

On this, does this put to bed the notion that there was/is bad blood between Liriano and Searage? Or, was Liriano just so desperate for a job that he took whatever offer came along?