A Second Grievance Against The Pirates

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

The thing that blows me away is besides the profit he is banking every year; the team value has appreciated over 1 billion dollars since he became owner. With that kind of equity it is pitiful that he would not want to reinvest some of that to make the team competitive and give the fans and city some real hope.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

486D6E6E7B506D656770020 wrote: The thing that blows me away is besides the profit he is banking every year; the team value has appreciated over 1 billion dollars since he became owner. With that kind of equity it is pitiful that he would not want to reinvest some of that to make the team competitive and give the fans and city some real hope.

a billion isn't what it used to be.

I just watched the Marx Bros. movie Duck Soup again.

He got the job as leader of the country (didn't name his office) because Margaret Dumont's character wouldn't lend the country another $20 million without him as leader.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7F59584F59493A0 wrote: The thing that blows me away is besides the profit he is banking every year; the team value has appreciated over 1 billion dollars since he became owner. With that kind of equity it is pitiful that he would not want to reinvest some of that to make the team competitive and give the fans and city some real hope.

a billion isn't what it used to be.

I just watched the Marx Bros. movie Duck Soup again. 

He got the job as leader of the country (didn't name his office) because Margaret Dumont's character wouldn't lend the country another $20 million without him as leader.

I was watching Duck Soup too! The Marx Bros might be the best way to prepare for the upcoming Pirate season.

"Hilarity ensues when Bob Nutting sends his wacky Pirates to play against real baseball teams."
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

725F52434455420201300 wrote:

"Hilarity ensues when Bob Nutting sends his wacky Pirates to play against real baseball teams."

Seventh inning stretch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAL-_fj ... AL-_fjrT3I
NewMexicoLobo

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

02272424311A272F2D3A480 wrote: The thing that blows me away is besides the profit he is banking every year; the team value has appreciated over 1 billion dollars since he became owner. With that kind of equity it is pitiful that he would not want to reinvest some of that to make the team competitive and give the fans and city some real hope.Jolly, I've come to think that Nutting is WAY too risk-averse. And my perspective is that I've spent most of my last 35 years as a small business owner, so I understand the risk side of things. So, yes, Nutting IS cheap.

But there is a "however" to your analysis. He can only re-invest profits -- money already earned. He cannot invest so-called equity from franchise value. That is not money as of yet earned. That is "blue sky" that will be worth something when he decides he wants to sell.

I'm hoping Cherington and Williams can tweak Nutting -- even a little. I know that's a big "we'll see". We can hope, can't we?

Go Bucs!
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

103B29133B26373D3112313C315E0 wrote: The thing that blows me away is besides the profit he is banking every year; the team value has appreciated over 1 billion dollars since he became owner. With that kind of equity it is pitiful that he would not want to reinvest some of that to make the team competitive and give the fans and city some real hope.Jolly, I've come to think that Nutting is WAY too risk-averse. And my perspective is that I've spent most of my last 35 years as a small business owner, so I understand the risk side of things. So, yes, Nutting IS cheap.

But there is a "however" to your analysis. He can only re-invest profits -- money already earned. He cannot invest so-called equity from franchise value. That is not money as of yet earned. That is "blue sky" that will be worth something when he decides he wants to sell.

I'm hoping Cherington and Williams can tweak Nutting -- even a little. I know that's a big "we'll see". We can hope, can't we?

Go Bucs!

The org has taken loans from Nutting himself. Back when the financials were leaked, the explanation for the money paid to nutting was paying back loan interest from the Pirates to Nutting.

There's multiple ways to tap into equity before sale. The problem isn't how Bob can spend, it's that he doesn't WANT to spend any money.

There's not much we can do except stop going completely.
shedman

Post by shedman »

604B59634B56474D4162414C412E0 wrote: The thing that blows me away is besides the profit he is banking every year; the team value has appreciated over 1 billion dollars since he became owner. With that kind of equity it is pitiful that he would not want to reinvest some of that to make the team competitive and give the fans and city some real hope.Jolly, I've come to think that Nutting is WAY too risk-averse. And my perspective is that I've spent most of my last 35 years as a small business owner, so I understand the risk side of things. So, yes, Nutting IS cheap.

Go Bucs!

________

I know Nutting can't spend the equity in the team because he doesn't have it yet, but teams in similar market sizes like Milwaukee and Cincinnati spend but we don't because Nutting is CHEAP.