Pirates hire consulting firm to find their new GM

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

02303C3C281A39303D383730510 wrote: https://rumbunter.com/2019/11/05/pittsb ... gm-search/

So, it tells me Nutting can't decipher good candidates and who would be qualified.  Have a feeling this is just another show to make people feel like change is coming. 

Man, not that he deserves benefit of the doubt, but he really is in a no-win isn't he?  Nutting did x, that gives a feeling of y (where y is a bad thing I was going to believe anyhow).  If he didn't do the consultant thing it would have shown that he isn't serious about making the next decision, right?

Still I was of the impression that consultants were used for this sort of thing most of the time.

I'm setting myself up for status quo and this being a charade to make it look like he is trying to change. Only one thing will do that. Do the consulting firm thing and hire crap, then ...
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

604D40515647501013220 wrote: I'm actually encouraged by this news. A lot of smart organizations, not just in sports but all the way up to Fortune 500 businesses, use search firms to find their talent.

I don't know about Korn Ferry specifically, but there are people whose entire job is to find people for the job. Be it the CEO of a large company of the GM of a baseball team.
Per the article, "Korn Ferry helped placed Zaidi (Giants) as well as Brewers GM David Stearns and Twins chief baseball officer Derek Falvey."

So as I previously noted, it seems like a good move. I don't think any of us here believer Nutting has been atop an organization noted for making good decisions. So I have more confidence in a firm helping them find the best candidates and making recommendations. I will at least give Nutting credit for realizing that outsourcing to professionals will be more effective than making in-house decisions on who will best serve as GM. I believe this is a positive step towards rebuilding.   

If the consulting firm did the interviews and hired, then I have faith. They suggest and give you the most qualified of the applicant pool, but they don't make the decision. That is what scares me.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

5B6965657143606964616E69080 wrote: https://rumbunter.com/2019/11/05/pittsb ... gm-search/

So, it tells me Nutting can't decipher good candidates and who would be qualified.  Have a feeling this is just another show to make people feel like change is coming. 

Man, not that he deserves benefit of the doubt, but he really is in a no-win isn't he?  Nutting did x, that gives a feeling of y (where y is a bad thing I was going to believe anyhow).  If he didn't do the consultant thing it would have shown that he isn't serious about making the next decision, right?

Still I was of the impression that consultants were used for this sort of thing most of the time.

That is correct. Nutting is a loser. Losers gonna lose
BenM

Post by BenM »

Maske from the PG has a good article on the search.

I agree with this part.

Korn Ferry won’t guarantee the Pirates make a perfect hire, but it may prevent them from making a stupid one.
Roberto218

Post by Roberto218 »

Should they have hired a consulting firm to hire the consulting firm to advise them who to hire as a general manager?
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

5E636E697E78633E3D340C0 wrote: Should they have hired a consulting firm to hire the consulting firm to advise them who to hire as a general manager?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

It's statements like this that the uncertainty of where the Bucs are headed in the immediate and long-term future. While we hardcore baseball fans here in Pgh read about GM and Manager searches by other clubs all we get is dead silence. Your statement takes some of the edge off the uncertain direction that Nutting and Williams will be taking. They are not just behind in the standing but also behind in creating a new management team.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

One of the supposed advantages of a search firm is that it forces the company to say what it needs rather than what it wants. For instance, "A proven leader," when what they really want is, "Someone who will firmly direct subordinates, while providing no pushback at all to superiors."

PMike

Post by PMike »

7F4C5051525A6C514A564D4A5B57503E0 wrote: One of the supposed advantages of a search firm is that it forces the company to say what it needs rather than what it wants. For instance, "A proven leader," when what they really want is, "Someone who will firmly direct subordinates, while providing no pushback at all to superiors."

I really doubt that.  In my experience, consulting groups come in to first, honestly evaluate to organization, and then second, make recommendations.  They do assessments of identity, strategy, successes, failures, and usually do a heavy evaluation of leadership.  This consulting agency sounds like a very reputable agency who has done this work across MLB and probably intends to continue that work in the future.  They aren't going to acquiesce to what Nutting wants at the risk of providing a failing service.  They want their recommendations to be successful so that they look successful.  I think Nutting has some big issues, but being successful is not one of his issues.  I would imagine that he would take seriously the information and recommendations that the consulting agency offers.  If he doesn't, he wasted his money.  And we all know that the organization doesn't like to lose money.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

011C383A34510 wrote: One of the supposed advantages of a search firm is that it forces the company to say what it needs rather than what it wants. For instance, "A proven leader," when what they really want is, "Someone who will firmly direct subordinates, while providing no pushback at all to superiors."

I really doubt that.  In my experience, consulting groups come in to first, honestly evaluate to organization, and then second, make recommendations.  They do assessments of identity, strategy, successes, failures, and usually do a heavy evaluation of leadership.  This consulting agency sounds like a very reputable agency who has done this work across MLB and probably intends to continue that work in the future.  They aren't going to acquiesce to what Nutting wants at the risk of providing a failing service.  They want their recommendations to be successful so that they look successful.  I think Nutting has some big issues, but being successful is not one of his issues.  I would imagine that he would take seriously the information and recommendations that the consulting agency offers.  If he doesn't, he wasted his money.  And we all know that the organization doesn't like to lose money.

I agree. I think guys like Nutting value two things: money and reputation - and Nutting has all the money he is ever going to need. I think what he wants out of his Pirates is reputation, and right now he is not looked at by the fan base in a good light. I think that's why he cleaned house this off season and why he talked about communicating better with the fan base. I think he wants a team that can win enough to be fun to watch for the fans year in and year out so that he and his family will have that good reputation for being able to provide that.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Ok, I wonder of the 3 candidates for GM, Cherington, Arnold and Putila come on the recommendations from Korn Ferry consulting firm?

I can't believe that Nutting would hire them and then not interview all or any of their recommended candidates.

Go figure!