100 games into the season...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

474B4A1118111914130C16210 wrote: I like the breakdown for the remaining 62 games, but I am a little concerned with the 8-3 record vs the Reds.  The Reds have been tough on us, but I hope our record does improve against them. Well it's going to need to be better if the Pirates are going to make the playoffs. Jay Bruce is probably going to be traded, and the Reds pitching is absolutely terrible so asking the Bucs to win 8 out of 11 games against them the rest of the season is a very reasonable scenario.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

4D6F7C616267606F4C7B6D6D610E0 wrote: Just like last year, this team is not built for a 1-game winner take all ... UNLESS Cole can be counted upon to do what he did last night. So far he has not proven that he can be counted on for that level of performance.

A 1-game showdown vs. most of these wild-card contenders, matching No. 1 vs. No. 1, would once again not be a good situation for the Pirates. Most of the other No. 1s, at least right now, are more reliable and more dominant than Cole.

Hopefully that changes between now and October.

First, thanks Freddy! Good post and forecast.

Second, I agree with Carolina- In a one game playoff Cole is the most important guy on the roster. We need Garrett to shut any opponent down. Last night gave me some hope he can be that Ace. It was only one start, but very encouraging.

Third, I truly believe the pirates and Dodgers play the WC, in Pittsburgh. Buccos advance.

Fourth - how big would it be if last night changed the season for both Cole and Cutch!
SpeedyG

Post by SpeedyG »

I like our schedule in the second half.

I don't like the second half of our rotation. I think the playoffs are going to be a tall order this year, but we are in the thick of it.
Jerseykc

Post by Jerseykc »

0E29383C39241B2F383939245D0 wrote: Just like last year, this team is not built for a 1-game winner take all ... UNLESS Cole can be counted upon to do what he did last night. So far he has not proven that he can be counted on for that level of performance.

A 1-game showdown vs. most of these wild-card contenders, matching No. 1 vs. No. 1, would once again not be a good situation for the Pirates. Most of the other No. 1s, at least right now, are more reliable and more dominant than Cole.

Hopefully that changes between now and October.

I feel a lot better about playing a one game playoff this year as opposed to the last two years. The only one that would really worry me would be Jose Fernandez if we faced the Marlins and especially if it would be in Miami since he is like 25-1 there all time. I could see a repeat of Bumgarner and Arietta the last two years taking place if that should happen. As for the other teams starting with the Dodgers Kershaw's status is still up in the air for the rest of the season, and even if he does pitch the Pirates have done very well against him recently. I think the Pirates could beat the Dodgers. The Mets with either Degrom or Syndegard would be tough but I don't think either will pull a Bumgarner or Arietta, and if Cole shows up that night he could out duel one of those guys very easily. And the Cardinals with either someone like Wainwright, Wacha, or even Carlos Martinez would definitely be beatable as well. So gotta get there first, but if the the Pirates do I think they have a decent chance if Cole pitches like we all know he can pitch of winning the 1 and done game.

hopefully Cole stays healthy or is able to pitch in the 1-off (might be used to get the playoff spot)
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I predicted 92 wins.

It is very possible with the weak schedule. Need to make a deal now to head a start for the playoff run.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

6E49585C59447B4F585959443D0 wrote: Since Iowa is no longer posting, Steady you need post what we need to do to get there starting with the Brewers tomorrow.

I always enjoy the + or - against Iowa's predictions -- and I think others do as well. So give us something to measure those 37 wins against. Okay I will do my best to break down every series the rest of the way and how we can get to 37 wins to get a wildcard spot. There are 62 games remaining so here goes. Keep in mind 34 of the 62 games remaining are against the Brewers, Braves, Reds, Padres, and Phillies. So you have to win if not all then most of those series against those teams.

3 at Milwaukee 2-1

3 at Atlanta  3-0

3 home Cincinnati  2-1

3 home San Diego  2-1

3 at LA  2-1

3 at San Fran 1-2

3 home Miami 2-1

3 home Houston 1-2

4 at Milwaukee 2-2

3 at Chicago 1-2

3 home Milwaukee 2-1

3 home St Louis 1-2

4 home Cincinnati 3-1

4 at Philadelphia 2-2

4 at Cincinnati 3-1

3 at Milwaukee 2-1

3 home Washington 2-1

4 home Chicago 2-2

3 at St Louis 2-1

So far I am a -4 in my predictions that I made over a week ago. I said 89 wins would get in. At this point the Pirates need to go 36-20 the last 56 games to win 89 games. Does anybody think this team can win 36 times out of the last 56 games?? I highly doubt it.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Now if you could just explain how they can do that with a team that neither pitches, hits nor plays defense well.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I remain at -4 with my predictions after the Pirates took 2 of 3 from the Reds this weekend. The Padres are another team the Pirates could really use a sweep against. They haven't won consecutive games in almost a month and are hitting around .230 as a team in that stretch of games. Plus, the schedule is going to get much tougher the next 12 games after the Padres series as the Pirates play series against the Dodgers, Giants, Marlins, and Astros.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Quick update on my prediction thread I am currently -2 from my original prediction of 89 wins going back to 3 weeks ago when I made this thread. The Bucs who have gone 28-17 in their last 45 games need to do just about the same thing the last 44 games as they need to go 27-17 to get to that magic number of 89 wins. If they get to 89 wins we will be playing in October in some capacity you can pretty much take it to the bank.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

00273632372A15213637372A530 wrote: Quick update on my prediction thread I am currently -2 from my original prediction of 89 wins going back to 3 weeks ago when I made this thread. The Bucs who have gone 28-17 in their last 45 games need to do just about the same thing the last 44 games as they need to go 27-17 to get to that magic number of 89 wins. If they get to 89 wins we will be playing in October in some capacity you can pretty much take it to the bank.

thanks for update. I'm glad you do these projections.