Another Champion In Our Lifetime

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

I hate to admit it but I’m 61. Too young to remember 1960 WS; but was glued to the TV for 1971 and 1979. Broke down and cried in 1992 when Cabrera killed our last good chance for a WS.

There will need to be major changes in ML baseball like a salary floor and reallocation of national revenue so that a higher percentage is given to the smaller markets.

However the main problem is Nutting. There is no rational reason why the Pirates cannot fund an average ML payroll. Do you realize that the Pirate franchise has gained over 1 Billion dollars in value since he has owned it. That is a hell of a lot of equity that he refuses to reinvest in the team. Not to mention that they are profitable every year.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

63464545507B464E4C5B290 wrote: I hate to admit it but I’m 61. Too young to remember 1960 WS; but was glued to the TV for 1971 and 1979. Broke down and cried in 1992 when Cabrera killed our last good chance for a WS.

There will need to be major changes in ML baseball like a salary floor and reallocation of national revenue so that a higher percentage is given to the smaller markets.

However the main problem is Nutting. There is no rational reason why the Pirates cannot fund an average ML payroll. Do you realize that the Pirate franchise has gained over 1 Billion dollars in value since he has owned it. That is a hell of a lot of equity that he refuses to reinvest in the team. Not to mention that they are profitable every year.
Yes, as uneven as the MLB playing field is, small market teams have very few opportunities to legitimately compete for a championship. It's rare but it does happen. So the odds aren't good to begin with and then we have Nutting who has no interest in even trying.
Roberto218

Post by Roberto218 »

The Bucs have more than enough salary room to sign Machado, which instantly would make them an instant playoff contender and perhaps a favorite. Machado is worth 4-7 war for ten years. I am guessing that a Machado signing would be worth an extra 700,000 in ticket sales with an extra $28,000,000 in revenue each year for the new five years.Plus, the Pirates are negotiating a new television deal as we speak! Let's really go for a Championship!
BenM

Post by BenM »

I was too young to remember '71, but vividly remember '79. After the final game was over, my dad played the Sister Sledge album We are Family and the family danced around for what felt like an hour celebrating. I still have that album. And won't play it until they win again.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

The 2015 team was one of the best teams in baseball. Given different circumstances, I think the Pirates could have won the WS. Attendance was growing significantly each year. The Pirates had the opportunity to once again stand side by side with the Steelers and Pens. Even Bob Nutting was on the verge of hero status. Almost unbelievably: None of this mattered.

The ownership and FO made the most important decision any of us ever need to know for the 2016 season: they chose to save a few bucks rather than make a commitment to try their best to win the WS. They tossed it all away for savings. It’s almost inconceivable to think back on.

As long as Bob Nutting is owner they will not win a WS regardless of how long any of us live. He doesn’t deserve to win one. Championship trophies should be lifted up by the ones that work the hardest to be champions. It would be a sham for him to touch the trophy.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

6F687E76786F28245D7A707C7471337E72701D0 wrote: The 2015 team was one of the best teams in baseball.  Given different circumstances, I think the Pirates could have won the WS. Attendance was growing significantly each year.  The Pirates had the opportunity to once again stand side by side with the Steelers and Pens.  Even Bob Nutting was on the verge of hero status. Almost unbelievably: None of this mattered.

The ownership and FO made the most important decision any of us ever need to know for the 2016 season: they chose to save a few bucks rather than make a commitment to try their best to win the WS. They tossed it all away for savings.  It’s almost inconceivable to think back on.    

As long as Bob Nutting is owner they will not win a WS regardless of how long any of us live.  He doesn’t deserve to win one.  Championship trophies should be lifted up by the ones that work the hardest to be champions.  It would be a sham for him to touch the trophy. 

Exactly. Perfectly stated. I just hope someone from the FO reads this board. Maybe if we all scream loudly enough, they'll listen.

This year is a similar situation. They dumped Nova. I don’t care. Nova isn’t a difference maker. But he’s a far cry better than Jordan freakin Lyles. Dump Nova. Fine. But bring in someone better. It reeks of 2016 when they dumped Morton and replaced him with Ryan Vogelsong. And it’s overtly evident that the only motivating factor in both decision was $$$.

You know what’s really sad? Think back to 2013. PNC was rocking! Packed every night. The WC blackout game was still one of the most electric moments I’ve ever witnessed in sports. Pittsburghers are STARVING for their baseball team to be successful. If Nutting would “build it,” “they would come,” to paraphrase the greatest baseball movie ever made. But he won’t build it. He refuses. He refuses to even try. And that’s truly tragic. Maybe someday, he'll sell to an owner who cares. Maybe someday, the economics of baseball will shift and provide an even playing field for everyone. But until either of those things happen, as fans, we're screwed.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

It's only normal for owners to want to save money. But the ones who genuinely try to compete are trying to shed a contract here and there in order to have more money to address other needs to assemble a complete team that has a good chance to win. Nutting annually has one of the 5 lowest (this year maybe 1st or 2nd lowest) payrolls in MLB yet he continues to try to save money while assembling a below average team whose goal is to win save money. When they moved Alvarez (which needed to be done) they replaced him with Jaso, an inexpensive injured catcher turned 1Bman without power. When they moved the chronically struggling Morton, they replaced him with what was left of Vogelsong's career because the 38 year old FA came cheap. Until Dickerson fell into their lap, the plan was to shed Cutch's salary and replace him with a platoon of Luplow and Frazier. Nutting doesn't shed salary to continue to field a competitive team. He sheds salary to get his payroll as low as possible, which usually requires replacing more productive players (making more money) with less productive players (making less money). And then he sends out his minions (NH, FC, CH) to BS the fans. But the players know what's what. Freese and Harrison spoke publicly about it last spring with Freese noting that Taillon will only be here until he can command a higher salary. :(
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

1924292E393F24797A734B0 wrote: The Bucs have more than enough salary room to sign Machado, which instantly would make them an instant playoff contender and perhaps a favorite. Machado is worth 4-7 war for ten years. I am guessing that a Machado signing would be worth an extra 700,000 in ticket sales with an extra $28,000,000 in revenue each year for the new five years.Plus, the Pirates are negotiating a new television deal as we speak! Let's really go for a Championship!
Machado no doubt is out of the Bucs price range, or comfort level, but sign Gio Gonzalez and Jose Iglesias for about a total of 15 million for this season, and the Bucs are in the hunt, and I believe attendance would increase because the good faith shown by the Front Office.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

6965643F363F373A3D22380F0 wrote: The Bucs have more than enough salary room to sign Machado, which instantly would make them an instant playoff contender and perhaps a favorite. Machado is worth 4-7 war for ten years. I am guessing that a Machado signing would be worth an extra 700,000 in ticket sales with an extra $28,000,000 in revenue each year for the new five years.Plus, the Pirates are negotiating a new television deal as we speak! Let's really go for a Championship!
Machado no doubt is out of  the Bucs price range, or comfort level, but sign Gio Gonzalez and Jose Iglesias for about a total of 15 million for this season, and the Bucs are in the hunt, and I believe attendance would increase because the good faith shown by the Front Office.

I think attendance would increase too.

Right now I believe it is set to decrease based upon season ticket sales. we'll know after the first few games about how many season tickets were sold. If attendance for a game is below 9000 that would be a bad sign.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

It doesn’t matter. Attendance went up 2013-2015, payroll still went down. Even after they said it would increase when attendance increased. Now, they say payroll decreases because attendance is down. Heads, I win...tails, you lose. Anyway you slice it, payroll is going to be low and it will always be the fans’ fault!