Brewers Reported to Get Yelich

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

070E061719630 wrote: So for someone who knows vastly more about prospects on other MLB teams (like the Brewers) than I do, can someone please tell me what the Pirates would have had to give up for Yelich that is basically equal to what the Brewers gave up. I would love to know what it would have taken. Thanks.

Keller, Meadows and a throw in would be close.   

As much as those two are talked about in Pirateland, that would be akin to trading the next Bonds and Clemens though.

NH doesn't have the stones to take even moderate risks, NEVER would come close to making an impact trade pickup like that.   

So may years of cheap control given up!!!
Nothing wrong with holding onto top prospects if the plan is to build on them and acquire other talented players to assemble a well rounded team. But the Pirate model is to surround them with cheap retreads and build a mediocre team.
sdimmick3

Post by sdimmick3 »

perhaps if they were coming off a 98 win season they could have swung a deal like this....oh wait, nevermind
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

These are good moves by the Brewers. They did give up a lot for Yelich. Not sure the Brewers fans liked giving up those guys if you read their twitter feed. But they needed those guys if they want to win.

If they bring in a starting pitcher or two, they really could be good. The Twins are going hard for Darvish. Maybe he will change his mind and look at the Brewers now?
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

777E766769130 wrote: So for someone who knows vastly more about prospects on other MLB teams (like the Brewers) than I do, can someone please tell me what the Pirates would have had to give up for Yelich that is basically equal to what the Brewers gave up. I would love to know what it would have taken. Thanks.

Keller, Meadows and a throw in would be close.   

As much as those two are talked about in Pirateland, that would be akin to trading the next Bonds and Clemens though.

NH doesn't have the stones to take even moderate risks, NEVER would come close to making an impact trade pickup like that.   

So may years of cheap control given up!!!

It wouldn't be Keller and Meadows. It would be closer to what I have. Meadows and Brinson are basically the same. Keller and the second Brewers prospect aren't. It's not close.

Cheap control years of prospects or six years of a proven commodity for 10 million or less per year. I know which is more valuable to a team that is showing a commitment of producing a competitive team.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5C575F5356574C090F784159505757165B57380 wrote: These are good moves by the Brewers.  They did give up a lot for Yelich.  Not sure the Brewers fans liked giving up those guys if you read their twitter feed.  But they needed those guys if they want to win.

If they bring in a starting pitcher or two, they really could be good.  The Twins are going hard for Darvish.  Maybe he will change his mind and look at the Brewers now?
Brewers are for real. 86 wins last year and finished 1 game out of a WC spot. 6 games behind Cubs compared to 17 games out for Bucs. Two solid starters in Davies and Anderson. Should get Nelson back from injury at some point. Another pitcher would help but they're already formidable.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

557875646372652526170 wrote: These are good moves by the Brewers.  They did give up a lot for Yelich.  Not sure the Brewers fans liked giving up those guys if you read their twitter feed.  But they needed those guys if they want to win.

If they bring in a starting pitcher or two, they really could be good.  The Twins are going hard for Darvish.  Maybe he will change his mind and look at the Brewers now?
Brewers are for real. 86 wins last year and finished 1 game out of a WC spot. 6 games behind Cubs compared to 17 games out for Bucs. Two solid starters in Davies and Anderson. Should get Nelson back from injury at some point. Another pitcher would help but they're already formidable.   

and they are trying to get that additional starter in Arrieta or Darvish.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

The Brewers put a good package of prospects on the table. In my opinion, the Pirates would have needed to offer a package that included both Meadows and Keller and likely two other decent prospects along the lines of Hearn, Cruz, or Jennings (Marlins also accepted players in A ball with upside).

I love Yelich, but I would have been hard pressed to include both Meadows and Keller as well as other talent --- UNLESS it was clear that the Pirates would have a change in approach; meaning that they are willing to significantly increase payroll.

Also, hard to fault the Marlins for accepting this package. It looks like the fire sale is over.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Well rats. I had lunch with Neal and he was telling me he thought he’d call the Marlins in the afternoon to see if there was any interest in trading Yelich. Said he’d offer the entire farm system if needbe AND increase payroll to $125M to build around him.

OTOH, he said if the Marlins wouldn’t budge he liked the team he now has and is really to compete this year “as is.”

Now the Brewers step in out of no-where and “snake” Neal. Those rats!

We were really close. Just missed out. FO definitely “all in” and were just getting ready to prove it....

What can you do. The Pirate FO has ZERO luck....
rucker59@gmail.com

The Brewers know NOTHING about financial flexibility.  Disgusting.
rucker59@gmail.com

I would say this is a perfect demonstration of the Pirates newest strategy: Optimizing the opportunity to do nothing at all.

The rest of MLB is eating the dust of TBMTIB.