December Rule 5 Draft

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BellevueBuc

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by BellevueBuc »

173C3D203B233A162137373B540 wrote: would be a very tough year to make selections from other teams

you will not have seen these kids play or had any solid stats or video on them in well over 15 months. that is a lot of development time for these kids. Who knows who progressed or didn't. Do we even have solid info on their health?

I think it is going to be the opposite, teams are more likely to make multiple picks and keep them. There is also rumors that teams will call up random non prospects more often from low level minors instead of more established players, all to keep costs down.
mouse

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by mouse »

I can see that keeping costs down only if the low level minors guy replaces someone getting above the ML minimum. For those vets who are free agents and getting something above that minimum (but aren't high performers) it would be a real concern.
BellevueBuc

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by BellevueBuc »

484A505640250 wrote: I can see that keeping costs down only if the low level minors guy replaces someone getting above the ML minimum. For those vets who are free agents and getting something above that minimum (but aren't high performers) it would be a real concern.

It is to avoid picking up guys off waivers and to reduce minor league FAs that are paid much more than low level minor leaguers. MLB is reducing the minor leagues to avoid paying livable wages, owners are going to penny pinch everywhere they can.

Teams are not going to spend money like they did previously. That is why Gausman and Stroman took the QA, and why Brad Hand was not picked up off waivers (and why the Indians put him on waivers).
BenM

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by BenM »

Has it been announced how and when minor leaguers from contracted teams will be handled?
Ecbucs

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by Ecbucs »

60474C6F220 wrote: Has it been announced how and when minor leaguers from contracted teams will be handled?
I can't say I've read this anywhere but my guess is a lot of players will just not receive contracts creating a lot of free agents.
BellevueBuc

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by BellevueBuc »

7B5C5774390 wrote: Has it been announced how and when minor leaguers from contracted teams will be handled?

Do you mean like the Pirates will be contracted because their owner is a robber baron?
DemDog

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by DemDog »

6F484141485B58486F584E2D0 wrote: Has it been announced how and when minor leaguers from contracted teams will be handled?

Do you mean like the Pirates will be contracted because their owner is a robber baron?

I think MiLB will not be the same as usual. With the new agreement between the minors and MLB (which hasn't been finalized yet), there will be a major contraction in MiLB. For instance, most of the short-season -A leagues will go away. Some of those teams will be bumped up to high levels to replace teams that MLB feels are not worthy to have a team. With fewer teams that means fewer players under contract. Still, there will be kids who want a chance at playing MLB and they will sign with Independent League teams like the Frontier League which has a team in Washington PA. It will be interesting to see how all this works out.
Bobster21

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by Bobster21 »

795F5E495F4F3C0 wrote: Has it been announced how and when minor leaguers from contracted teams will be handled?
I can't say I've read this anywhere but my guess is a lot of players will just not receive contracts creating a lot of free agents.

I visited Pirate City in Bradenton in May 2016 and watched a little extended spring training. This is where players who have not yet been assigned to a minor league team work out, receive instruction and play games against other teams' extended spring training attendees while some wait to see which minor league level they will be assigned to and others just hope to open a few eyes and get assigned to any team in the organization.

I read that there is a feeling in MLB that player development at the lowest levels could be achieved as well at instructional environments at team complexes as it could in the lowest minor league levels. I think there's a good chance that minor leaguers who can't find a roster spot with fewer teams in the organization will probably have a chance to be part of extended spring training environments at team training complexes. Of course the surplus of players will make it more difficult to land a spot at the complex. But in talking to some players and parents that day at Pirate City it was obvious that a great many of those young guys were just chasing their dream and were never going to go much further. So I think the trickle-down effect of contraction will force the fringe candidates to get on with their life's work (as Chuck Noll would say) and look for a new career.
ChitownBucco

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by ChitownBucco »

70575E5E57444757704751320 wrote: would be a very tough year to make selections from other teams

you will not have seen these kids play or had any solid stats or video on them in well over 15 months. that is a lot of development time for these kids. Who knows who progressed or didn't. Do we even have solid info on their health?

I think it is going to be the opposite, teams are more likely to make multiple picks and keep them. There is also rumors that teams will call up random non prospects more often from low level minors instead of more established players, all to keep costs down.

I don't think it is as big of a stretch for teams looking to retain players. Because they still got to see the majority of usual suspects practice and play as part of their covid taxi squads
BenM

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by BenM »

5A777A6B6C7D6A2A29180 wrote: But in talking to some players and parents that day at Pirate City it was obvious that a great many of those young guys were just chasing their dream and were never going to go much further. So I think the trickle-down effect of contraction will force the fringe candidates to get on with their life's work (as Chuck Noll would say) and look for a new career.

So, Tim Tebow's "career" is over?