Bucs memories on YouTube

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SyrBucco

Bucs memories on YouTube

Post by SyrBucco »

0F2E260F242C4B0 wrote: Here are a couple of great moments in Pirates history from YouTube

1971 WS Game 7

Roberto Clemente (The Great One) MLB Legends

Roberto Clemente's Final Interview - October 1972

1960 WS Last 3 Innings with comments from some of the players
Thanks, Possum! Just watched the 7th game of the 1971 World Series. Can't recall the reason, but I missed watching that game on TV and caught what I could on the radio. Great way to spend a rainy Monday morning in Syracuse!
Javy

Bucs memories on YouTube

Post by Javy »

The late, Jackie Hernandez fielding Merv Rettenmund's grounder behind 2nd base and throwing him out - I was the happiest teenager in the Philadelphia area that day!
Bobster21

Bucs memories on YouTube

Post by Bobster21 »

62495E51280 wrote: The late, Jackie Hernandez fielding Merv Rettenmund's grounder behind 2nd base and throwing him out - I was the happiest teenager in the Philadelphia area that day!

I met Jackie a number of times at Pirate fantasy camps. He was an incredibly nice guy and one of the most popular of the Pirate alumni among the campers. In some years the camp theme was the 1971 team and many of his teammates were there talking about that series. Earl Weaver had remarked that the Pirates would never win the WS with Hernandez as their SS. Jackie wasn't much of a hitter and probably no better than average defensively but his teammates really rallied around him after that insult. With Gene Alley hurt much of the season Jackie started 65 games at SS and 6 of the 7 WS games. He was loved by his teammates who were doubly happy that they proved Weaver wrong and that he got to make the final out.
BenM

Bucs memories on YouTube

Post by BenM »

7E55424D340 wrote: The late, Jackie Hernandez fielding Merv Rettenmund's grounder behind 2nd base and throwing him out - I was the happiest teenager in the Philadelphia area that day!

He told the story about that play in the documentary Forever Brothers. Check out around 34:20.
bucs607179

Bucs memories on YouTube

Post by bucs607179 »

Kind of wish "Pittsburgh Dad" did more Pirate stuff. I do enjoy his Steeler stuff. He throws the BUCS in sometimes.
GreenWeenie

Bucs memories on YouTube

Post by GreenWeenie »

4453455510161117111F260 wrote: Kind of wish "Pittsburgh Dad" did more Pirate stuff. I do enjoy his Steeler stuff. He throws the BUCS in sometimes.

Where have YOU been?

It would take Pittsburgh GRANDdad to remember when they were worth talking about. Come on.