Clint Hurdle

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Leyland1948

Clint Hurdle

Post by Leyland1948 »

MLB Trade rumors reporting that Hurdle has retired from baseball. He had interviewed with San Diego for their hitting coach but has decided to retire.
BenM

Clint Hurdle

Post by BenM »

I wish him the best. Despite the way he left, he is an important figure in the Pirates' history.
DemDog

Clint Hurdle

Post by DemDog »

Despite his lack of success and losing his team this season I can say that Clint was a heck of a guy. From a top prospect early in his career and ending up as a less than stellar player and then turning to the bottle and finally looking in the mirror and got himself straight he turned out to be an okay manager over his managing career. But the biggest thing that makes me like Clint is his work as national spokesperon for the Prader-Willi Syndrome. His daughter Madie has Prader-Willi syndrome The leading organization for working with Prader-Willi kids is the Pittsburgh Children's Institute. I have a close personal friend who has a son with Prader-Willi who has met Clint on several occasions in conjunction with the CIofPgh and he tells me that he is a great guy and loves the kids. Best wishes to you Clint and you go one with your retired life's work.
mouse

Clint Hurdle

Post by mouse »

What effect does his electing to retire have on his getting paid the balance due under his agreement with the Pirates?
Bobster21

Clint Hurdle

Post by Bobster21 »

6163797F690C0 wrote: What effect does his electing to retire have on his getting paid the balance due under his agreement with the Pirates?
None. It would be different if he had retired from the Pirates while still under contract. But by firing him the Pirates still have to pay him. Hurdle had considered taking the hitting coach job with SD but has decided not to seek further work in MLB. This doesn't take the Pirates off the hook. It's merely saying Hurdle will sit back and collect his Pirates checks, which he's entitled to do.
mouse

Clint Hurdle

Post by mouse »

Thank you. Baseball contracts are really confusing.
JollyRoger

Clint Hurdle

Post by JollyRoger »

Hurdle retires as one of the most successful Managers in Pirate history. He joins Murtaugh, Tanner, Leyland. More importantly he was a pillar of the community and was very active in charitable organizations in Pittsburgh. I wish him well in his retirement and hope one day he will make an appearance at PNC Park and receives a nice ovation.
Bobster21

Clint Hurdle

Post by Bobster21 »

15303333260D30383A2D5F0 wrote: Hurdle retires as one of the most successful Managers in Pirate history. He joins Murtaugh, Tanner, Leyland. More importantly he was a pillar of the community and was very active in charitable organizations in Pittsburgh. I wish him well in his retirement and hope one day he will make an appearance at PNC Park and receives a nice ovation.
That's feint praise. 735 wins, 4 winning seasons in 9 years, no division champs, 1 WC win, 1 playoff loss, 2 WC losses.

But that's not too far off from Leyland who had 851 wins, 4 winning seasons in 11 years. But Leyland had 3 division winners, tho he lost all 3 ensuing playoffs.

Tanner had 711 wins, 6 winning seasons in 10 years, 1 division winner, 1 playoff win, 1 WS championship.

Murtaugh had 1,115 wins. In 15 seasons (including 2 partial seasons), he had 10 winning years, 4 losing years and 1 even. He had 2 WS champs, 4 division winners, 1 playoff winner.

And then there's Fred Clarke who won 1,422 games with 4 pennant winners an 1 WS winner. 

So while I would agree that numerically, Hurdle is one of their most successful managers, the gap between he, Clarke, Tanner and Murtaugh is huge. A sad state of afairs that a manager who never won a division or a playoff is one of the franchises most "successful."  No one questions Hurdle's character but as a manager he didn't accomplish a lot.

Ecbucs

Clint Hurdle

Post by Ecbucs »

795459484F5E49090A3B0 wrote: Hurdle retires as one of the most successful Managers in Pirate history. He joins Murtaugh, Tanner, Leyland. More importantly he was a pillar of the community and was very active in charitable organizations in Pittsburgh. I wish him well in his retirement and hope one day he will make an appearance at PNC Park and receives a nice ovation.
That's feint praise. 735 wins, 4 winning seasons in 9 years, no division champs, 1 WC win, 1 playoff loss, 2 WC losses.

But that's not too far off from Leyland who had 851 wins, 4 winning seasons in 11 years. But Leyland had 3 division winners, tho he lost all 3 ensuing playoffs.

Tanner had 711 wins, 6 winning seasons in 10 years, 1 division winner, 1 playoff win, 1 WS championship.

Murtaugh had 1,115 wins. In 15 seasons (including 2 partial seasons), he had 10 winning years, 4 losing years and 1 even. He had 2 WS champs, 4 division winners, 1 playoff winner.

And then there's Fred Clarke who won 1,422 games with 4 pennant winners an 1 WS winner. 

So while I would agree that numerically, Hurdle is one of their most successful managers, the gap between he, Clarke, Tanner and Murtaugh is huge. A sad state of afairs that a manager who never won a division or a playoff is one of the franchises most "successful."  No one questions Hurdle's character but as a manager he didn't accomplish a lot.

I don't think the gap between Hurdle and Tanner is very large. The difference is in the gm's.
BenM

Clint Hurdle

Post by BenM »

456362756373000 wrote: Hurdle retires as one of the most successful Managers in Pirate history. He joins Murtaugh, Tanner, Leyland. More importantly he was a pillar of the community and was very active in charitable organizations in Pittsburgh. I wish him well in his retirement and hope one day he will make an appearance at PNC Park and receives a nice ovation.

I don't think the gap between Hurdle and Tanner is very large.  The difference is in the gm's.

I agree. In addition, the economics of baseball make it hard to compare over time. Clarke and Murtaugh didn't have to worry about Wagner, Clemente and Stargell being traded from under them because of impending free agency and Tanner had the highest paid player in baseball, Parker, on his roster.