Here are a couple of great moments in Pirates history from YouTube

1971 WS Game 7

Roberto Clemente (The Great One) MLB Legends

Roberto Clemente's Final Interview - October 1972

1960 WS Last 3 Innings with comments from some of the players
BenM

Bucs memories on YouTube

Post by BenM »

Forever Brothers: The '71 Pittsburgh Pirates Story (Really good documentary on that team.)

Angels in the Outfield (1951) This is the original version. The Pirates are starring team and a lot of it was filmed at Forbes Field.

Dock Ellis & The LSD No-No Doc himself tells the story behind his infamous no hitter. (Although Steve Blass still insists Doc wasn't tripping.)
DemDog

Bucs memories on YouTube

Post by DemDog »

Ben, thanks for the additional Pirates Memories links.

[smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] to ya!
Bobster21

Bucs memories on YouTube

Post by Bobster21 »

Interesting Bob Prince interview Part I

Interesting Bob Prince interview Part II
Bobster21

Bucs memories on YouTube

Post by Bobster21 »

One of the Bob Prince stories is about a game in SF and I looked it up on baseballreference and in the Pittsburgh Press and Post-Gazette archives and he was accurate.

In the 3rd inning on 8/13/69, SF had runners at the corners with 1 out and the Pirates leading 4-2. The batter hit a fly ball to LF caught by Carl Taylor. The runner from 3B tagged up and scored. But Bobby Bonds at 1B thought there were already 2 outs and was running when he realized he had to get back to 1B. Taylor--Pagan--Oliver doubled off Bonds before he got back to 1B for the inning ending DP. Because of the DP, the umps ruled the run from 3B did not count and the inning ended 4-2 Pirates. SF mgr Clyde King argued to no avail that the run should count. There was no scoring in the 4th, which ended with the Bucs still ahead 4-2. When the Pirates also did not score in the top of the 5th, SF came to bat still trailing 4-2. Meanwhile, reporters had looked up the rulebook and saw that the DP did not nullify the run scoring from 3B back in the 3rd inning. This was brought to the attention of the umps who conferenced, realized they had been wrong and called out both mgrs to announce they were adding a run to SF retroactive to the 3rd inning, and that the 2-run lead the Pirates thought they had for the past 2 innings was being changed to a 1-run lead.

What Prince failed to mention was that Clemente hit 3 HRs that day. The Pirates won 10-5 behind Jim Bunning who was traded 2 days later to LA.
DemDog

Bucs memories on YouTube

Post by DemDog »

Thanks again to you Bobster for keeping us straight about those crazy games when The Gunner was around.
WildwoodDave

Bucs memories on YouTube

Post by WildwoodDave »

5C7D755C777F180 wrote: Thanks again to you Bobster for keeping us straight about those crazy games when The Gunner was around. 
Thanks guys, enjoyed listening to the Gunner again? I am sure that many on the board remember him but how many remember the POSSUM and what his real name was?
mouse

Bucs memories on YouTube

Post by mouse »

Jim Woods? Last week I was watching a bit of a replay of a Tigers/Yankees game from 1976 or something around then and Bob Price was doing the color commentary (or was the third man in the booth). It was fun to hear his voice again.
WildwoodDave

Bucs memories on YouTube

Post by WildwoodDave »

52504A4C5A3F0 wrote: Jim Woods? Last week I was watching a bit of a replay of a Tigers/Yankees game from 1976 or something around then and Bob Price was doing the color commentary (or was the third man in the booth). It was fun to hear his voice again.
Yep, Jim Woods is correct.Complete opposite of the Gunner. Calm, factual and unassuming
Javy

Bucs memories on YouTube

Post by Javy »

If I recall correctly, the Bucs lost Woods to the Cardinals when KDKA wouldn't give him an increase in salary because of what they were paying the Gunner.

Preview of things to come in all sports I suppose...