Earlier start times

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Earlier start times

Post by Surgnbuck »

It's great to see that there is some effect on the team operations based upon input from fans.

Evening game time starts will be 6:35 before Memorial Day and after Labor Day. Sunday games now will start at 1:05

For those who aren't aware of it, the Pirates invite fans to join in on focus groups regarding the overall "fan experience" if you will, and what can be done to improve things. I was lucky to be part of this, and a lot of the issues that we discussed and some recommendations were going to be implemented in 2020, and now in 2021.

So for those who attend games, if you happen to notice things like improved ways of handling concessions, game time starts, crowd control issues (coming through the gates, in the stands, thoughout the concourse, etc.) and you find there was some noted improvement, you can thank fellow fans.

It's quite obvious that the Pirates game experience was drastically getting as bad as the on field performance. I attribute much of that to Frank Coonelly, and it was during these focus groups that many of us had the feeling he was getting canned. Seems we turned out to be correct.

I just hope this time around, if the team reaches some level of success again, that the team doesn't go back to what Coonelly did, stripping away everything he could from the fans that had been coming for years, just to increase the profits.

Hope to see some of you at PNC next year.

Bobster21

Earlier start times

Post by Bobster21 »

I like that earlier start time. I suppose it's geared toward having the fans spend less time in the cool night air early and late in the season. The hot weather months will have the normal start time.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Earlier start times

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

I like the idea of the early start times. I think they were also considering school-aged kids when making that change. Attendance is always much lower while school is in session. Maybe this will result in more families attending games in the early and late parts of the season. Also, it might encourage more people who work in town to stay and take in a game, especially knowing they'll be home 30 minutes earlier.
DemDog

Earlier start times

Post by DemDog »

How about Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day doubleheaders with about half an hour between games like the times when being a Bucco fan meant something. Right Bobster?
Bobster21

Earlier start times

Post by Bobster21 »

I love doubleheaders. And with the season so long with all the playoffs, it makes sense to schedule them to shorten the length of the season.
fjk090852-7

Earlier start times

Post by fjk090852-7 »

52737B527971160 wrote: How about Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day doubleheaders with about half an hour between games like the times when being a Bucco fan meant something.  Right Bobster?
Possum do you recall those holiday doubleheader’s which began about 11 o’clock in the morning. I think they played them in the early 1970s.
Ecbucs

Earlier start times

Post by Ecbucs »

4E4243181118101D1A051F280 wrote: How about Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day doubleheaders with about half an hour between games like the times when being a Bucco fan meant something.  Right Bobster?
Possum do you recall those holiday doubleheader’s which began about 11 o’clock in the morning. I think they played them in the early 1970s.

There was at least one season where I went to the Memorial Day, July 4 and Labor Day doubleheaders. Even though the team was great at the time there was no problem getting tickets.
DemDog

Earlier start times

Post by DemDog »

2F2322797079717C7B647E490 wrote: How about Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day doubleheaders with about half an hour between games like the times when being a Bucco fan meant something.  Right Bobster?
[highlight]Possum do you recall those holiday doubleheader’s which began about 11 o’clock in the morning. I think they played them in the early 1970s[/highlight].

They played holiday double dips long before the 70's and even before I became a fan in the late 50's. But they don't do that now because MLB is not in the BOGO mode at the moment.
Javy

Earlier start times

Post by Javy »

0F2E260F242C4B0 wrote: How about Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day doubleheaders with about half an hour between games like the times when being a Bucco fan meant something.  Right Bobster?
[highlight]Possum do you recall those holiday doubleheader’s which began about 11 o’clock in the morning. I think they played them in the early 1970s[/highlight].

They played holiday double dips long before the 70's and even before I became a fan in the late 50's.  But they don't do that now because MLB is not in the BOGO mode at the moment.

First game I remember going to was Sept. 5 1966. DH with the Atlanta Braves. Maz's birthday - hit 2 homers in the 1st game, one a grand slam. HOF'ers in that game - Clemente, Stargell, Maz, Aaron, Torre, Neikro & Mathews. I seem to recall Clemente throwing behind Mathews at 1st base on a single and Mathews getting called out.
Surgnbuck

Earlier start times

Post by Surgnbuck »

200D00111607105053620 wrote: I love doubleheaders. And with the season so long with all the playoffs, it makes sense to schedule them to shorten the length of the season.

I'm okay with a D/N doubleheader. I get the owners don't want to do a BOGO. They could get creative, another easy solution. By one, get the other at a nice discount. It's easy peasy stuff now a days.

Seems too obvious, schedule DH's, and make up for supposed "lost revenue" with another layer of playoff rounds or making the WC games a 3 game series, players get more time off, and I can't but help think that eliminating some Mon-Thurs games and making them part of a DH on a Saturday wouldn't actually be better for the bottom line. IDK, lot of stuff involved, just thinking back when we did a couple of Labor Day DH's, that was some awesome stuff.