The season on the line: Pirates v Redlegs, Saturday

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

0313122533333F500 wrote: Dickerson with 2 HRs tonight and 4 in the last 3 games!

Let's trade him!

I know you’re joking, but is Neal ever sitting on a hot seat. He got some outfielders whose values are surely rising quickly.  Or does he have, finally, the Best OF in baseball to build around?

40 HRs between the 3, and a bunch of them over the past month. Could definitely hit 80 this year.  90 next year. 

Add Bell who’s looking better, Diaz, Moran, and maybe Kang next year and Neal finally has potentially an elite core. But the OF won’t be Pirate Cheap next year.

Does Neal build around this team, or trade pieces???

I watched highlights of last night's game.  Looked like Polanco made a nice catch to prevent a home run.  Hate to say that when the play started I thought he was going to miss it. 

Nh needs to make moves that improve the team for 2019.  Dealing Harrison, Mercer, Nova and maybe Cervelli should not be a big loss for 2019 but may bring people back who may help in future (although probably not in 2019).

Getting prospects back would create depth which could allow for a bigger deal to fill a gap in the off season.

Francisco is going to be very hard to move based on what he is owed in 2019 and his fragility issues.  I truly don't think any of those names get you back a quality prospect.  Maybe Nova is your best chance since pitching is at a premium.  Maybe the Yanks will bite on that file.

yeah, I don't think any of these guys would bring back a top prospect. However, they could bring back some depth that may make it easier for the Pirates to make a deal in the off season without clearing out the farm system. I think O'Neal Cruz and Hayes have become good prospects (probably in top 100), Newman and Kramer may be ready to step in majors - which could allow Bucs to pay Dickerson.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

7153405D5E5B5C53704751515D320 wrote: Man I don't know what to do about the outfield.

Dickerson is good.

Marte is good.

Polanco can be good. And he has the most power potential.

Meadows is an elite prospect.

I'm not going to be happy if Neal moves any of these guys for the standard Neal return ... which means 3-4 middling prospects and/or MLB mediocrity.

Instead, let's do something radical and actually try to WIN.

Let's keep the current core and ADD pitching. This team could really benefit from a legitimate veteran starter. Obviously they're not going to go out and get a Cy Young candidate at this point, but I'd love to see Neal make a move to get a solid starter.

Let's try to WIN instead of doing the Pirate thing and trading away our good players.

I'm very curious about your ideas for a veteran starter. NH won't send anything of value to get that pitcher. We lucked into Happ on that deal. He sucked prior to him coming over. That is why we gave up little.

Personally, the guy I would target and it wouldn't cost much is Sonny Gray. Still young ... had good success in Oakland. To me, he probably has Jeff weaver disease ... pitch well in small market and then fall apart with the Yanks.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Contender!... NH threw down the challenge and the team has lost 1 game since he did. Guess we are buying!

We know the season was already a success regardless, as we are getting close to being in a position to add in July for the 9th straight year. Chalk up another season in the win column!
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Those are exactly the kind of names I'm talking about ... a J.A. Happ ... a Sonny Gray. Guys I would classify as "legitimate, proven MLB starters." Nothing flashy or spectacular, just proven starters. This team needed 2 before the season (in my opinion) and it needs 1 right now to help anchor this staff. The offense COULD be coming around for real this time. If so, there is hope.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

684A59444742454A695E4848442B0 wrote: Those are exactly the kind of names I'm talking about ... a J.A. Happ ... a Sonny Gray. Guys I would classify as "legitimate, proven MLB starters." Nothing flashy or spectacular, just proven starters. This team needed 2 before the season (in my opinion) and it needs 1 right now to help anchor this staff. The offense COULD be coming around for real this time. If so, there is hope.

What will a guy like Keuchel cost this winter?  Does he get paid Cy Young amount or a #2 or 3?  Could the Pirates buy one FA in this category?

Maybe Charlie Morton would ride back into town. His age should drop his contract, but.... forget it. Charlie’s not riding back into town.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

4B4C5A525C4B0C00795E54585055175A5654390 wrote: Those are exactly the kind of names I'm talking about ... a J.A. Happ ... a Sonny Gray. Guys I would classify as "legitimate, proven MLB starters." Nothing flashy or spectacular, just proven starters. This team needed 2 before the season (in my opinion) and it needs 1 right now to help anchor this staff. The offense COULD be coming around for real this time. If so, there is hope.

What will a guy like Keuchel cost this winter?  Does he get paid Cy Young amount or a #2 or 3?  Could the Pirates buy one FA in this category?

Maybe Charlie Morton would ride back into town. His age should drop his contract, but.... forget it. Charlie’s not riding back into town.

Forget any of them, it's not happening. I actually think we are ok with SP. I would like an upgrade over Williams. Kingham is making it look like he will be at least decent. When Kuhl is ready to come back they will have an interesting decision to make.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I was thinking if the Pirates have swept anybody yet in a 3 game series and they haven’t done it since the opening day series in Detroit I believe so today would be a good day to finish this sweep and make this a 9 game winning streak going into Cleveland to start the week. I’m really looking forward to this series in Cleveland and making the drive up to the game on Wednesday afternoon.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

5A786B76757077785B6C7A7A76190 wrote: Those are exactly the kind of names I'm talking about ... a J.A. Happ ... a Sonny Gray. Guys I would classify as "legitimate, proven MLB starters." Nothing flashy or spectacular, just proven starters. This team needed 2 before the season (in my opinion) and it needs 1 right now to help anchor this staff. The offense COULD be coming around for real this time. If so, there is hope.

Now is the time to consider Gray. The cost wouldn't be great as in assets going back. The Yanks were looking for another starting pitcher, so if they deal Gray, it would be two starters.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I was more impressed with Kingham Saturday than in any other game including his near perfect debut. My concern with him has been that he leaves a lot of FBs over the plate including his debut when the Cards appeared to know little about him and wanted to see a lot of pitches. That put him ahead in counts to set up other pitches and the balls that were hit were outs. But in several other games, a similar approach resulted in those pitches getting hammered.

Saturday he mixed his pitches well, had great breaking pitches and was getting swings and misses on balls in the dirt. If one of MLB's elite pitchers had thrown that same game we would have expected nothing less. Kingham looked like an elite pitcher that day. He's had several very solid outings now (and a few bad ones) but if he can build on that he might become a top of the rotation starter.