C L. Campusano R

1B A. Rivas L

CF T. Grisham L

SP Yu Darvish

There you have it. Let's Go Bucs

Bobster21

Official Game Thread - 7/24 - Bucs @ Padres

Post by Bobster21 »

Hopefully a better game in Priester's 2nd MLB outing. Here is his 2023 AAA game log. Very inconsistent. 3 consecutive bad games 4/15-4/27. 4 consecutive good games 5/4-5/21. Then alternating bad/good games ever since.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... &year=2023
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Let's Go Bucs!!!
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Three things I'd like to see tonight:

1. Suwinski not continuing to take first pitch strikes right over the heart of the plate.

2. Suwinski not trying to draw walks or "work deep counts", just swing the bat.

3. Suwinski not batting leadoff. It lends to those other two things.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

04222530393522343C570 wrote: Three things I'd like to see tonight:

1. Suwinski not continuing to take first pitch strikes right over the heart of the plate.

I do not understand why Suwinski leads off? A week or so ago, Shelton said “so we can get a 1-0 lead.” However, the stats prove otherwise.

He certainly has the patience to lead off. The average pitches per AB for MLB hitters is 3.89. Suwinski averages 4.35 pitches per AB. Own the down side, the MLB average for contact on swings is 75.1%. Suwinski is at 69.5%. Leading off, Jack is hitting .133 with a .506 OPS. In the 5th spot, where he has been most often, Suwinski is hitting .326 with a 1.197 OPS.

Suwinski is not a contact hitter, but he does have top tier power. As such, he should have the green light to swing at any pitch he likes. With zero strikes in the count, he is 40-99 (.404). With 1 or 2 strikes, he is 19-165 (.115). Let that sink in.

The leadoff should be manned by someone best suited to work the count and hit with two strikes at times. Suwinski would be better suited hitting fourth or fifth, allowing runner/s to get on base, and then having an aggressive approach attacking pitches early in the count.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

426463767F7364727A110 wrote: Three things I'd like to see tonight:

He's batting leadoff because of those things. He's 2nd on the Pirates in walks and 15th in the NL. He's 2nd on the team in OBP and 24th in the NL.

It's typical Shelington thinking. The problem (and there's always a problem with Shelington thinking) is that Suwinski is also their best power threat. So instead of putting him in a position to drive in others with HRs who reach base ahead of him (the guys at the bottom of the order are the least likely to do that), he has to be driven in by others with less power. But this is what passes for innovative thinking these days. (They used to call it stupidity.)
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

4E49657264070 wrote: Three things I'd like to see tonight:

I do not understand why Suwinski leads off?   A week or so ago, Shelton said “so we can get a 1-0 lead.”   However, the stats prove otherwise.   

He certainly has the patience to lead off.   The average pitches per AB for MLB hitters is 3.89.  Suwinski averages 4.35 pitches per AB.   Own the down side, the MLB average for contact on swings is 75.1%.  Suwinski is at 69.5%.  Leading off, Jack is hitting .133 with a .506 OPS.  In the 5th spot, where he has been most often, Suwinski is hitting .326 with a 1.197 OPS. 

Suwinski is not a contact hitter, but he does have top tier power.  As such, he should have the green light to swing at any pitch he likes.   With zero strikes in the count, he is 40-99 (.404).   With 1 or 2 strikes, he is 19-165 (.115).  Let that sink in.

The leadoff should be manned by someone best suited to work the count and hit with two strikes at times.  Suwinski would be better suited hitting fourth or fifth, allowing runner/s to get on base, and then having an aggressive approach attacking pitches early in the count.    

That’s really great information. I think we all knew, instinctively, that Suwinski needed to be hitting in the middle of the order. Anyone who knows anything about baseball would’ve concluded that long ago. The numbers you supplied make it crystal clear. Which begs the question: as analytically inclined as the Pirates are, why don’t they see what you pointed out?
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

4E49657264070 wrote: Three things I'd like to see tonight:

I do not understand why Suwinski leads off?   A week or so ago, Shelton said “so we can get a 1-0 lead.”   However, the stats prove otherwise.   

He certainly has the patience to lead off.   The average pitches per AB for MLB hitters is 3.89.  Suwinski averages 4.35 pitches per AB.   Own the down side, the MLB average for contact on swings is 75.1%.  Suwinski is at 69.5%.  Leading off, Jack is hitting .133 with a .506 OPS.  In the 5th spot, where he has been most often, Suwinski is hitting .326 with a 1.197 OPS. 

Suwinski is not a contact hitter, but he does have top tier power.  As such, he should have the green light to swing at any pitch he likes.   With zero strikes in the count, he is 40-99 (.404).   With 1 or 2 strikes, he is 19-165 (.115).  Let that sink in.

The leadoff should be manned by someone best suited to work the count and hit with two strikes at times.  Suwinski would be better suited hitting fourth or fifth, allowing runner/s to get on base, and then having an aggressive approach attacking pitches early in the count.    

Great info and it totally supports the obvious answer, which is Suwinski should be batting 5th.

I really think our ideal lead off hitter will be Bae when he starts figuring out all the nuances. I like Bae in CF and leading off
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

It's DVR time !!
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

346274606F75656E637446616B676F6A2865060 wrote: Three things I'd like to see tonight:

That’s really great information.  I think we all knew, instinctively, that Suwinski needed to be hitting in the middle of the order.  Anyone who knows anything about baseball would’ve concluded that long ago.  The numbers you supplied make it crystal clear.  Which begs the question:  as analytically inclined as the Pirates are, why don’t they see what you pointed out?

I have no idea. But good news, Suwinski just got a 2-strike hit leading off.