Unfortunate Winning Streak

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

steve49

Post by steve49 »

Here's a guy that says exactly what Ive been saying about this trade. The Pirate brass did this to try to please the fan base. Really , think about it....his board which has intelligent fans and was mostly sucked in by this trade. The only problem is that it was so horrible that it's going to blow sky high in such a short time.

The author says what I've been saying. Archer hasn't been much more than average for about 3 years now. Yes , you can say they were strong in the OF and could afford to deal Meadows . But why not deal Dickerson instead ? If he's really that good , the Pirates don't resign him after 2018 anyway.

Here is the deal in a nutshell.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/pira ... her-trade/
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

To add salt in the wound; Glasnow had a very strong game tonight against the offensively potent Indians. 7 innings, 1 run, 6Ks, and 1 walk
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

65404343567D40484A5D2F0 wrote: To add salt in the wound; Glasnow had a very strong game tonight against the offensively potent Indians. 7 innings, 1 run, 6Ks, and 1 walk

And Jamo had a similarly strong game against an offensively potent Braves team. The difference in the two games is that the Bucs were more offensively potent than the Rays were! ;)
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

52777474614A777F7D6A180 wrote: To add salt in the wound; Glasnow had a very strong game tonight against the offensively potent Indians. 7 innings, 1 run, 6Ks, and 1 walk

I’m glad for Glasnow. No need for a career to be ruined in the Pirates organization.

For the Pirates: the cost of messing up on Glasnow (if he indeed becomes a dominate starter) is off the charts. If this doesn’t force some changes than we can assume nothing will and this organization is hopeless. A couple of years to reinvent tylor, maybe that could be explained. But to have immediate results is an indictment of the Pirates.

For the fans: a lot of posters gave up on the guy and he became the butt of jokes. I could never figure that out. He obviously had great talent that was not translating on the Pirates mound. But he was clearly a great talent. The questions now need to be asked of the responsable people: uncle Ray and Hurdle and Huntington. They flat out screwed up a potential ace and the fans were helping force the trade. Sometimes maybe we need to look at the whole picture. (BTW, I was infavor if the trade, but only because it was obvious the Pirates were not going to get anything out of Glasnow otherwise).
steve49

Post by steve49 »

515640484651161A63444E424A4F0D404C4E230 wrote: To add salt in the wound; Glasnow had a very strong game tonight against the offensively potent Indians. 7 innings, 1 run, 6Ks, and 1 walk

I’m glad for Glasnow.  No need for a career to be ruined in the Pirates organization.

For the Pirates: the cost of messing up on Glasnow (if he indeed becomes a dominate starter) is off the charts.  If this doesn’t force some changes than we can assume nothing will and this organization is hopeless.  A couple of years to reinvent tylor, maybe that could be explained.  But to have immediate results is an indictment of the Pirates. 

For the fans: a lot of posters gave up on the guy and he became the butt of jokes.  I could never figure that out.  He obviously had great talent that was not translating on the Pirates mound. But he was clearly a great talent.  The questions now need to be asked of the responsable people: uncle Ray and Hurdle and Huntington. They flat out screwed up a potential ace and the fans were helping force the trade.  Sometimes maybe we need to look at the whole picture. (BTW, I was in favor if the trade, but only because it was obvious the Pirates were not going to get anything out of Glasnow otherwise).

I don't think I've ever seen a trade working out like this one. It's a small smile size but this is insane. Read the article I left you , it's 100% right on. This is really one f'd up organization. And what the heck happened to Keller ?
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

Steve, I don’t think any of us are surprised when TBMTIB does something that goes awry. However, in this trade more time is needed to get the final assessment.

Sparky Anderson once said “you go 0-32 in the middle of the season nobody really notices. You do it at the start of the season and everyone knows it.”

Meadows, Glasnow, and Archer got fresh starts – as did their stat lines. Meadows started hot in Pittsburgh before cooling off. He will cool off in AAA for the Rays. Glasnow will cool as well. And hope to goodness Archer improves his numbers significantly.

I agree the sheer mechanical equation of this trade started to heavily skew when Baz was added. But, buying at the wire costs a premium. Doing nothing has a cost as well.

This trade may never reconcile, but hopefully it will look a lot better as time passes.

maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

4B4C607761020 wrote: Steve, I don’t think any of us are surprised when TBMTIB does something that goes awry.   However, in this trade more time is needed to get the final assessment.

Sparky Anderson once said “you go 0-32 in the middle of the season nobody really notices.  You do it at the start of the season and everyone knows it.”   

Meadows, Glasnow, and Archer got fresh starts – as did their stat lines.  Meadows started hot in Pittsburgh before cooling off.  He will cool off in AAA for the Rays.  Glasnow will cool as well.  And hope to goodness Archer improves his numbers  significantly.

I agree the sheer mechanical equation of this trade started to heavily skew when Baz was added.   But, buying at the wire costs a premium.   Doing nothing has a cost as well.

This trade may never reconcile, but hopefully it will look a lot better as time passes.

Jesus, I hope you're right, because right now this looks terrible.

Love to see Archer look decent tonight.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

5D5A766177140 wrote: Steve, I don’t think any of us are surprised when TBMTIB does something that goes awry.   However, in this trade more time is needed to get the final assessment.

Sparky Anderson once said “you go 0-32 in the middle of the season nobody really notices.  You do it at the start of the season and everyone knows it.”   

Meadows, Glasnow, and Archer got fresh starts – as did their stat lines.  Meadows started hot in Pittsburgh before cooling off.  He will cool off in AAA for the Rays.  Glasnow will cool as well.  And hope to goodness Archer improves his numbers  significantly.

I agree the sheer mechanical equation of this trade started to heavily skew when Baz was added.   But, buying at the wire costs a premium.   Doing nothing has a cost as well.

I don't and didn't like this trade because it was my belief they did it to appease the fan base. Plus i thought we were raped . One question to you. Have you seen Glasnow pitch for TB ? But yeah , I did concede it was a small sample size.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

2E29382B3869645D0 wrote: Steve, I don’t think any of us are surprised when TBMTIB does something that goes awry.   However, in this trade more time is needed to get the final assessment.

I don't and didn't like this trade because it was my belief they did it to appease the fan base. Plus i thought we were raped . One question to you. Have you seen Glasnow pitch for TB ? But yeah , I did concede it was a small sample size.

You have a valid argument and I see it. I am relying on the law of averages...which I am confident will better our results to date.

I have seen Glasnow, and I always root for him. Watching him throw a pitch is like watching an eagle fly. Watching him pitch a game can be like watching sausage production. Glad he is doing so well in Tampa.

I am sure Archer and Neal are feeling as much pressure as we are feeling frustration.

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

I'm glad for Glasnow, Meadows, Baz. I doubt that any of them would eventually mature in Pgh. As for appeasing the fan base the day of the deal we were all really happy for the most part on OBN. For once we felt that NH had decided to go out of the box at the deadline. For me it is too early to judge this trade unless one of the 3 and or Archer blows out an arm, knee etc. Remember maxima enim, patientia virtus (patience is the greatest virtue).