#65 Peguero

#99 Gonzalez
ArnoldRothstein

mlb.com top 100 prospects

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

I see Nick Gonzalez got himself back in the picture last night with four hits, including three doubles. Each ball was roped. Man, we need that guy to be the real deal.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Uncertain if any of the 4 of the top 5 (obviously not Johnson) will have any meaningful impact in Pittsburgh next year.

Pirates desperately need catching, but Davis has played so few innings in the minors, I believe it would be a stretch to see him in Pittsburgh next year.

Gonzalez and Peguero will both likely see time at AAA, and perhaps make it to Pittsburgh by year's end. Perhaps Priester comes up by mid-season if he continues to progress.

In short, at the start of the season, the youth movement likely is largely relegated to the rookies who are now in Pittsburgh or have seen time in Pittsburgh in this year. Gotta hope that some of them mature as the major league and minor league seasons grind to a conclusion.

And, not just because 'veteranoisity' is the be all and end all for a major league player, but the Bucs really need to think of adding someone better than the VanMeters, Marisnicks, and Vogelbergs (if hurt to lose Roberto Perez, our most expensive off-season signing so early in the year, particularly when there was no catching depth in the system) to give a boost to the team next year.

ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Per Pirate Prospects, Baseball America's 100 has Johnson #46, Priester #69, Peguero #82, and Davis #86.

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I wonder if Bae would have made it if he hadn't gotten injured. Right now I put him ahead of Gonzalez because Bae has hit at AAA and hasn't struck out a tremendous amount in addition to being able to play several positions.

Gonzalez could get back if he continues to hit well the rest of this season.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

695A4647444C7A475C405B5C4D4146280 wrote: Team Top 30:

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/pirates/

Outside of some very young prospects (and Priester and maybe Burrows who is young but made it to AAA), there are not enough starting pitchers on this list. Again, where is the pitching?

Mlodzinski has not figured it out at all and is slipping down the list. Nicolas has had his moments. Thomas is a reliever and Ortiz has a lot to learn.

Brennan Malone, Miguel Yajiure, Eddy Yean have all appeared on the list and have faded.

Cody Bolton is not on the list and may be our best hope for next year. I think they are being very careful with his innings after TJ, but he has pitched very well at AAA.

I guess BC will be looking for next year's Anderson or Quintana. It feels like next year will already be a rinse and repeat one.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5776636A526B70637667020 wrote: Team Top 30:

Outside of some very young prospects (and Priester and maybe Burrows who is young but made it to AAA), there are not enough starting pitchers on this list. Again, where is the pitching?

Mlodzinski has not figured it out at all and is slipping down the list. Nicolas has had his moments. Thomas is a reliever and Ortiz has a lot to learn.

Brennan Malone, Miguel Yajiure, Eddy Yean have all appeared on the list and have faded.

Cody Bolton is not on the list and may be our best hope for next year. I think they are being very careful with his innings after TJ, but he has pitched very well at AAA.

I guess BC will be looking for next year's Anderson or Quintana. It feels like next year will already be a rinse and repeat one.

Yean has pitched poorly for Bradenton (5.27 ERA) and Greensboro (6.42) since joining the organization. Malone must be hurt. He appeared in 3 games in June and nothing since.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

537E73626574632320110 wrote: Team Top 30:

Yean has pitched poorly for Bradenton (5.27 ERA) and Greensboro (6.42) since joining the organization. Malone must be hurt. He appeared in 3 games in June and nothing since.

Malone just had shoulder surgery https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseb ... r-surgery/