If Bucs draft HS pitcher

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Lecom

If Bucs draft HS pitcher

Post by Lecom »

4E6F674E656D0A0 wrote: I’m actually thinking ahead to the 2021 draft. With the 2020 version only being five rounds, the 2021 draft could be historically deep. I hope the Pirates finish dead last this year (if there’s a baseball season at all, which I’m skeptical of).

Regarding the contraction of MiLB teams, I’ve always thought the amount of minor league teams was excessive. I don’t see any reason why MLB can’t treat college baseball like the NBA and NFL treat college football and basketball, respectively. First round picks in those sports jump right to their pro leagues and start. Some are instant stars. Hockey has a minor league system, but plenty of college guys jump right to the NHL.

It would be too bad to see small towns lose minor league teams, but is there really any reason why it couldn’t become the norm for the best HS players to play a couple of years in college, get drafted and say, go to AA or AAA right off the bat? Thus, they do away with all the rookie and A level teams? Those levels just sort of get absorbed into college baseball?

This in turn would strengthen college baseball. I don’t think it ever becomes as popular as NCAA football or basketball, but if ESPN started carrying college baseball games, if the sport was highlighted beyond the CWS, their may be something to this. As it is, it’s got to be tough being a college baseball coach and trying to recruit, not knowing if a kid is going to sign with an MLB team or honor his scholarship.

Uh, no way my friend do you use College Baseball like the NFL and NHL do as a feeder system.

How many games does a college team in WPa play in a season?  Way to few to satiate the fan interest in baseball. 

Minor League baseball not only serves as a feeder system to MLB but also serves family activities in the small towns they usually play in.  If you ever get a chance to see a MILB game do so.  You will enjoy it immensely.

Could not agree more Possum .
GreenWeenie

If Bucs draft HS pitcher

Post by GreenWeenie »

Not only that, but am not every HS player has college in his future.
ArnoldRothstein

If Bucs draft HS pitcher

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

It's hard to get around the basic problem that colleges mostly shut down during the heart of the baseball season. Half the country is barely thinking of baseball during the college season.

The short season leagues are largely anachronisms now. Like everything else, the analytics have taken over. Getting a random bunch of 19 year olds out isn't as important as learning how to repeat your best pitch 80% of the time. That takes teaching and repetition, which you can't get riding a bus and then throwing 60 pitches to random players just out of school.