How About Hellweg?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Roberto218

How About Hellweg?

Post by Roberto218 »

Down at Indy, John Hellweg is putting up some very good numbers: 1.04 ERA and a 2.85 ratio of groundouts to flyouts.

26 innings. Could he be a part of the bullpen solution--perhaps this years model of Jason Grilli-- a career minor leaguer who develops late in his career?
fjk090852-7

How About Hellweg?

Post by fjk090852-7 »

He is worth a try. The bullpen has been so inconsistent for about one month now. It seems that whenever you start feeling a little confidence in one of the bullpen guys , he has a meltdown and gives up several runs. I really felt the bullpen would be a strength this year, and it is far from a strength.
Roberto218

How About Hellweg?

Post by Roberto218 »

Hellweg is released so that he can go to Japan. At Indy, he had a 1.33 ERA, a 1.15 WHIP, and 8.3 k/9. Good luck John!
Aaron

How About Hellweg?

Post by Aaron »

4875787F686E75282B221A0 wrote: Hellweg is released so that he can go to Japan. At Indy, he had a 1.33 ERA, a 1.15 WHIP, and 8.3 k/9. Good luck John!

True, but he also had a 4.3 BB/9 rate. If he had a 15 K/9 rate to go along with that, perhaps he'd be worth a shot. But despite his low ERA and WHIP, his numbers aren't likely to translate at the ML level.

He's also 29 years old and he got destroyed in his only 30 ML IP, which was five years ago.

Losing him doesn't really matter and if he has a chance to make some coin over in Japan, let him go.
dmetz

How About Hellweg?

Post by dmetz »

I gotta agree. A career minor leaguer like that, no future. Agree the numbers inside the numbers aren't so good, pretty unlikely to translate much.

Guy like that gets a chance at an OK payday in Japan, let him have it. I don't know what he would have been making in AAA, but I've read that US players make more in Japan, than the minors here. Maybe enough to set up him for a while
SCBucco

How About Hellweg?

Post by SCBucco »

69606879770D0 wrote: I gotta agree.  A career minor leaguer like that, no future.  Agree the numbers inside the numbers aren't so good, pretty unlikely to translate much.   

Guy like that gets a chance at an OK payday in Japan, let him have it.     I don't know what he would have been making in AAA, but I've read that US players make more in Japan, than the minors here.    Maybe enough to set up him for a while

Well, we have guys on this roster who should be career minor leagues, but that doesn't stop the Pirates.