73-71...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

73-71...

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Is currently what the Pirates need to go the rest of this season to win 85 games which I feel very strongly will be good enough to give this team a second wildcard spot in a fairly mediocre National League. So as long as this Pirates team can play just slightly above .500 the rest of the season I feel they will be in great position to be in the postseason. I really feel this team is capable of doing just that maybe even better.
OrlandoMerced

73-71...

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Need to see Bell and Polanco get back into form before I start thinking positively about the rest of this season.
notes34

73-71...

Post by notes34 »

We all need to get a grip. It has only been 18 games!! Take it one at a time quite looking ahead at the schedule and just enjoy the quick start. The Pirates are playing well, and the Cubs aren't. I would absolutely expect the Cubs to get hot at some point. They have a track record and star players. Calm down and step away from the schedule.
SteadyFreddy

73-71...

Post by SteadyFreddy »

222338293F7F784C0 wrote: We all need to get a grip. It has only been 18 games!! Take it one at a time quite looking ahead at the schedule and just enjoy the quick start. The Pirates are playing well, and the Cubs aren't. I would absolutely expect the Cubs to get hot at some point. They have a track record and star players. Calm down and step away from the schedule. I’m not playing on the field so I will keep looking ahead at the schedule and while yes it is very early still 18 games in these games count now if not even more then the games the Pirates win later in the season. It’s more important for a team like the Pirates to have a good start and get ahead of the pack. So if you want to take it one day at a time that’s perfectly fine. I am gonna approach it differently and enjoy the wins and look ahead at the same time.
Tintin

73-71...

Post by Tintin »

68697263753532060 wrote: We all need to get a grip. It has only been 18 games!! Take it one at a time quite looking ahead at the schedule and just enjoy the quick start. The Pirates are playing well, and the Cubs aren't. I would absolutely expect the Cubs to get hot at some point. They have a track record and star players. Calm down and step away from the schedule.

You don’t know Freddy, do you?

This and calling May games “must wins” are his thing.

I look forward to these posts
timozbuck

73-71...

Post by timozbuck »

This is doable if the SP stays healthy. Even one pitcher going down could cripple this team. Maybe not Kuhl but you know what I mean.
iabucco

73-71...

Post by iabucco »

With the Cubs, Cards and Brewers in our division do you think that 85 wins guarantees the Pirates to be at least third in the division?
Bobster21

73-71...

Post by Bobster21 »

51504B5A4C0C0B3F0 wrote: We all need to get a grip. It has only been 18 games!! Take it one at a time quite looking ahead at the schedule and just enjoy the quick start. The Pirates are playing well, and the Cubs aren't. I would absolutely expect the Cubs to get hot at some point. They have a track record and star players. Calm down and step away from the schedule.
Yeah, it's not reliable to base records on a SSS vs a generally weaker schedule. What we realistically hoped for was a good start in this portion of the schedule. That should offset struggles in tougher parts of the schedule. Can they go 73-71 vs the rest of the schedule? Who knows? Lots of tough teams still to play. But they had the start we hoped for. Let's see how they stand up against tougher teams. But as long as they keep winning it's all good. :)
dogknot17@yahoo.co

73-71...

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

565E5D4A5C5C503F0 wrote: With the Cubs, Cards and Brewers in our division do you think that 85 wins guarantees the Pirates to be at least third in the division? 

Yes, because they will beat up on each other.

Only one division in 2017 had three teams win 85+ games and they all made the playoffs. The same thing happened in 2016. In 2015, two division had that happen. One team finished one game out of the playoffs. The NL Central had three teams with 97+ wins and all made the playoffs. They were also the three best teams in all of baseball.
SCBucco

73-71...

Post by SCBucco »

605D434E414B40624A5D4C4A4B2F0 wrote: Need to see Bell and Polanco get back into form before I start thinking positively about the rest of this season.

The problem with that is both of these guys are very streaky. History shows this. They could go on a week tear and then all the sudden be mired in a 3 for 30 slump. There is zero consistency with either it seems.