Thoughts on Kevin Young, other Bucs announcers?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Just wondering what others thought of Kevin Young in the booth for the Rockies series. I thought he was good except that his voice is very soft and monotone. Maybe he can work on that. I recall Ken Singleton beginning his broadcast career with the Orioles and he was unpopular because his monotone voice could put you to sleep. But he improved, went to the Yankees and became a very good broadcaster.

My main complaint with Young in the booth was the way Greg Brown acted with him. Brown constantly addressed him as "KY" when there was no need to address him by name. And Brown was also constantly praising Young for his playing career. I wanted to hear more from Young and less about him. And Brown's obsession with nicknames is annoying. I guess that's why we were treated to all those "KYs" and maybe that's why Mike McKenry felt he should preface nearly every sentence in the booth during his series by saying "Brownie." Last week Brown suggested to Bob Walk that they give a nickname to the area in short LF were Frazier is dropping a lot of hits. Walk didn't seem too enthused and Brown told him, "Everything needs a nickname."

At least with Brown and Young they focused on the game (when Brown wasn't focusing on Young) without all the attempts at comedy we get from the Brown/Walk pairing. Wehner generally avoids the comedy too. And I've liked Matt Capps too. But nicknames, catch phrases and comedy aside, I think Brown does a good job describing the PBP. I won't even listen to Block anymore.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

1F323F2E29382F6F6C5D0 wrote: Just wondering what others thought of Kevin Young in the booth for the Rockies series. I thought he was good except that his voice is very soft and monotone. Maybe he can work on that. I recall Ken Singleton beginning his broadcast career with the Orioles and he was unpopular because his monotone voice could put you to sleep. But he improved, went to the Yankees and became a very good broadcaster.

My main complaint with Young in the booth was the way Greg Brown acted with him. Brown constantly addressed him as "KY" when there was no need to address him by name. And Brown was also constantly praising Young for his playing career. I wanted to hear more from Young and less about him. And Brown's obsession with nicknames is annoying. I guess that's why we were treated to all those "KYs" and maybe that's why Mike McKenry felt he should preface nearly every sentence in the booth during his series by saying "Brownie." Last week Brown suggested to Bob Walk that they give a nickname to the area in short LF were Frazier is dropping a lot of hits. Walk didn't seem too enthused and Brown told him, "Everything needs a nickname."

At least with Brown and Young they focused on the game (when Brown wasn't focusing on Young) without all the attempts at comedy we get from the Brown/Walk pairing. Wehner generally avoids the comedy too. And I've liked Matt Capps too. But nicknames, catch phrases and comedy aside, I think Brown does a good job describing the PBP. I won't even listen to Block anymore.   
I agree on Young's monotone voice. Can't question his knowledge of the game. Deserves another shot
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

I agree about Kevin, he needs to go to broadcasters school. Maybe Lanny could give him so lessons on projecting his voice and putting a little bit of emotion in it. I do like Capps, and Walk, and even The Rock. As for McKenry, I would just as well see him go the route of Milo Hamilton.

As for nicknames, yes Brown does overdo it. I might go with them for a player or two but no use them when he is doing the play-by-play. As for his booth mates, he should use their first names because who knows who is listening or watching. If my daughter in Chicago wants to listen to a game on the radio she has no idea who KY is but she might know who Kevin Young is.

Then there is Joe Block. He is the one exception. He should go by Joe "Dumb as a Rock" Block.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I rarely listen to Pirates games because I denifitely can't stand listening to Greg Brown. It's one thing to get excited, but he acts as if the Pirates...or every Pirates play is.....I'll just end it there. I don't have much comment on the others.

The way I look at it- regardless of popularity- I can't expect any more from broadcasters than I get from the rest of the franchise, even if they're not direct employees.

The announcers are the least of my concern. The only time I listen to them is if I'm in the area, visiting, or occasionally, if I'm killing time on internet radio.

They can't tell me anything that I can't read for myself using the internet and following the games that way- or from Surgs and others comments on here in our GDTs. That's about as high praise as I can give you all. I enjoy them almost all of the time.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

032E23323524337370410 wrote: Just wondering what others thought of Kevin Young in the booth for the Rockies series. I thought he was good except that his voice is very soft and monotone. Maybe he can work on that. I recall Ken Singleton beginning his broadcast career with the Orioles and he was unpopular because his monotone voice could put you to sleep. But he improved, went to the Yankees and became a very good broadcaster.

I haven't heard Young yet because he was in the booth with Block when I turned on the game. I refuse to listen to Block.

As for the others, I love listening to Greg Brown. I think he's genuine and authentic, and I like how he calls the games as a Pirates fan. I really like Walk and Wehner, and I think Matt Capps has been good in his short time broadcasting. I don't care for McHenry.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I probably missed something back at the beginning of the season - why are they using so many different announcers?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

104650444B51414A475062454F434B4E0C41220 wrote: Just wondering what others thought of Kevin Young in the booth for the Rockies series. I thought he was good except that his voice is very soft and monotone. Maybe he can work on that. I recall Ken Singleton beginning his broadcast career with the Orioles and he was unpopular because his monotone voice could put you to sleep. But he improved, went to the Yankees and became a very good broadcaster.

I haven't heard Young yet because he was in the booth with Block when I turned on the game.  I refuse to listen to Block.

As for the others, I love listening to Greg Brown.  I think he's genuine and authentic, and I like how he calls the games as a Pirates fan.  I really like Walk and Wehner, and I think Matt Capps has been good in his short time broadcasting.  I don't care for McHenry.

Young and Brown did the whole Rockies series on TV.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

37352F293F5A0 wrote: I probably missed something back at the beginning of the season - why are they using so many different announcers?
Don't know why. But it seems they decided with Blass gone that they would bring in some new voices.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

072A27363120377774450 wrote: Just wondering what others thought of Kevin Young in the booth for the Rockies series. I thought he was good except that his voice is very soft and monotone. Maybe he can work on that. I recall Ken Singleton beginning his broadcast career with the Orioles and he was unpopular because his monotone voice could put you to sleep. But he improved, went to the Yankees and became a very good broadcaster.

I haven't heard Young yet because he was in the booth with Block when I turned on the game.  I refuse to listen to Block.

As for the others, I love listening to Greg Brown.  I think he's genuine and authentic, and I like how he calls the games as a Pirates fan.  I really like Walk and Wehner, and I think Matt Capps has been good in his short time broadcasting.  I don't care for McHenry.

Young and Brown did the whole Rockies series on TV.

We're not big TV watchers so we have the most basic of cable packages, which doesn't include the ATT Sports channel.  Frankly, I prefer listening to baseball on the radio than watching on television, anyway. 

Has Young done games on the radio prior to the Rockies series?  I'm pretty sure I heard him talking before I knew Block was doing the PBP, and then I quickly turned the game off.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I like Kevin Young the best so far. He's done a pretty good job deflecting all the fawning Brown does over him, and he adds a lot of insight to the game.

Wehner does that too, the problem with him is that every time a Pirate pops a ball up, "oh he just missed that" or if a guy on the other team hits a HR, "wow, I can't believe he would even swing at a pitch like that". If there's misfortune in the field, it was always a "pretty tough play". He's too apologetic for their failures.

Walk is better when he does some fill in color work for FOX away from the Pirates all together. He shows his knowledge of the game, but he also keeps it much more professional.

I like Brown, but he does get a little too excited on something as simple as a single, or when the Pirates do something fundamentally, as if they invented it. "GREAT baserunning there!" Brown, it was a hit and run.

Block really needs work. I don't have much good to say about him.

All in all, with the current group, I'd take Brown and Kevin Young, if only Brown would quit calling him KY every sentence. Maybe he got the infection from McKenry, with his "Brownie" leading off every sentence.