Should Rob Manfred Be Replaced

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

It appears from some of the things I have read the players are going to accept the imposed agreement which the owners through Rob Manfred drafted last evening. I as well as others on this site have posted that the CBA negotiations after the 2021 season are going to be very bad. Baseball for many is no longer the national pastime. The negotiations this spring have turned off many casual fans. I think for the good of the game, and in order to win back some fans both Mr. Manfred and Tony Clark should resign their positions, and two new individuals should oversee these negotiations. Baseball may need some on field changes like a universal DH or maybe additional playoff teams, but most of all there needs to be some form of financial stability in which teams just cannot tank, or spend a bare minimum.
maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

2925247F767F777A7D62784F0 wrote: It appears from some of the things I have read the players are going to accept the imposed agreement which the owners through Rob  Manfred drafted last evening. I as well as others on this site have posted that the  CBA negotiations after the 2021 season are going to be very bad. Baseball for many is no longer the national pastime. The negotiations this spring have turned off many casual fans. I think for the good of the game, and in order to win back some fans both Mr. Manfred and Tony Clark should resign their positions, and two new individuals should oversee these negotiations. Baseball may need some on field changes like a universal DH or maybe additional playoff teams, but most of all there needs to be some form of financial stability in which teams just  cannot tank, or spend a bare minimum.

In my opinion there needs to be a salary/cap floor. They could institute the universal DH and realign the leagues or whatever and I don't really care that much, but without a salary cap floor rooting for a particular small-market team starts to feel pointless.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Rooting's always OK. I just don't expect very much

And, give a doofus a blank check to work with, and he's still a doofus who makes even bigger mistakes. So, there are never any sure things, anyway.

Not sure what our side's capable of, but money would at least help. We need guys who want to be Pirates. Good players, obviously.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Rather than retype my thoughts, I'll link to what I posted on Twitter today. I'm disgusted by these rule changes. The NL DH and extra innings fiasco did it for me. I'll probably still tune in, because that's my addiction, but I'm just disgusted right now. Yes, get rid of Manfred. He, the owners, the players...they've ruined the greatest game in the world.

https://twitter.com/FrPBehm/status/1275 ... 04809?s=20
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

181013243217303F510 wrote: Rather than retype my thoughts, I'll link to what I posted on Twitter today. I'm disgusted by these rule changes. The NL DH and extra innings fiasco did it for me. I'll probably still tune in, because that's my addiction, but I'm just disgusted right now. Yes, get rid of Manfred. He, the owners, the players...they've ruined the greatest game in the world.

We're experiencing connection issues this morning so I was unable to read your tweet but, like you, I'm having difficulty understanding why oddball rules changes are necessary. For me, if the owners have concerns about making the game more attractive for people with shorter attention spans, the solution is so very simple: have the umpires enforce the rules. After stern warnings for the first infraction, if a pitcher doesn't work in the allotted time, the batter receives a base on balls. If the hitter wanders from the batter's box, he's called out. If either argues, they're ejected. If the umpires slack in enforcing the rules, they risk suspension.

I think the reason why players are taking so long between pitches is because of the analytics. The game has become so over-thought that the managers, coaches, and players are paralyzed by all of the thinking they're doing, calculating the odds of what the next pitch should be based on the current situation. After all of that, to see the result of an at bat now mostly being a strike out, walk, or home run, where no on-field action occurs, it's no wonder fans are bored. Making it worse is the current philosophy of running up pitch counts which extend at bats, many of which end in one of those boring outcomes.

Weird rules aren't needed. The pace of the game would improve dramatically just by enforcing two rules already in place.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7224322629332328253200272D21292C6E23400 wrote: Rather than retype my thoughts, I'll link to what I posted on Twitter today. I'm disgusted by these rule changes. The NL DH and extra innings fiasco did it for me. I'll probably still tune in, because that's my addiction, but I'm just disgusted right now. Yes, get rid of Manfred. He, the owners, the players...they've ruined the greatest game in the world.

We're experiencing connection issues this morning so I was unable to read your tweet but, like you, I'm having difficulty understanding why oddball rules changes are necessary.  For me, if the owners have concerns about making the game more attractive for people with shorter attention spans, the solution is so very simple:  have the umpires enforce the rules.  After stern warnings for the first infraction, if a pitcher doesn't work in the allotted time, the batter receives a base on balls.  If the hitter wanders from the batter's box, he's called out.  If either argues, they're ejected.  If the umpires slack in enforcing the rules, they risk suspension.

I think the reason why players are taking so long between pitches is because of the analytics.  The game has become so over-thought that the managers, coaches, and players are paralyzed by all of the thinking they're doing, calculating the odds of what the next pitch should be based on the current situation.  After all of that, to see the result of an at bat now mostly being a strike out, walk, or home run, where no on-field action occurs, it's no wonder fans are bored.  Making it worse is the current philosophy of running up pitch counts which extend at bats, many of which end in one of those boring outcomes.

Weird rules aren't needed.  The pace of the game would improve dramatically just by enforcing two rules already in place.
Totally agree Doc. And the rule most in need of enforcement is the strike zone. And since umps can't or won't enforce it, I'm all for an electronic piece in the ump's ear to let him know so he can signal ball or strike and still be there for foul balls, HBPs, balks, catcher's interference and plays at the plate. Nothing has delayed the game more than the pitch count strategy. Make the pitcher get to 100 ASAP to force the other mgr to get into his BP. Batters don't have look for a strike to hit because it might not even be called a strike. Work that count. When I watch games that display the pitch track in the corner it seems about a third to a half of pitches in every AB are called wrong. Batters know a strike isn't necessarily a strike so they take pitches to drive the count up. Send batters to the plate knowing they won't get the benefit of bad calls and they will focus on hitting rather than taking as many pitchers as possible. Do that for every batter and the game will speed up.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

1D303D2C2B3A2D6D6E5F0 wrote: Rather than retype my thoughts, I'll link to what I posted on Twitter today. I'm disgusted by these rule changes. The NL DH and extra innings fiasco did it for me. I'll probably still tune in, because that's my addiction, but I'm just disgusted right now. Yes, get rid of Manfred. He, the owners, the players...they've ruined the greatest game in the world.

We're experiencing connection issues this morning so I was unable to read your tweet but, like you, I'm having difficulty understanding why oddball rules changes are necessary.  For me, if the owners have concerns about making the game more attractive for people with shorter attention spans, the solution is so very simple:  have the umpires enforce the rules.  After stern warnings for the first infraction, if a pitcher doesn't work in the allotted time, the batter receives a base on balls.  If the hitter wanders from the batter's box, he's called out.  If either argues, they're ejected.  If the umpires slack in enforcing the rules, they risk suspension.

I think the reason why players are taking so long between pitches is because of the analytics.  The game has become so over-thought that the managers, coaches, and players are paralyzed by all of the thinking they're doing, calculating the odds of what the next pitch should be based on the current situation.  After all of that, to see the result of an at bat now mostly being a strike out, walk, or home run, where no on-field action occurs, it's no wonder fans are bored.  Making it worse is the current philosophy of running up pitch counts which extend at bats, many of which end in one of those boring outcomes.

Weird rules aren't needed.  The pace of the game would improve dramatically just by enforcing two rules already in place.
Totally agree Doc. And the rule most in need of enforcement is the strike zone. And since umps can't or won't enforce it, I'm all for an electronic piece in the ump's ear to let him know so he can signal ball or strike and still be there for foul balls, HBPs, balks, catcher's interference and plays at the plate. Nothing has delayed the game more than the pitch count strategy. Make the pitcher get to 100 ASAP to force the other mgr to get into his BP. Batters don't have look for a strike to hit because it might not even be called a strike. Work that count. When I watch games that display the pitch track in the corner it seems about a third to a half of pitches in every AB are called wrong. Batters know a strike isn't necessarily a strike so they take pitches to drive the count up. Send batters to the plate knowing they won't get the benefit of bad calls and they will focus on hitting rather than taking as many pitchers as possible. Do that for every batter and the game will speed up.

I agree that will speed the game up. The time between pitches and number of pitches is what makes game long.

There are times when the time between pitches or the batter stepping out can be exciting and that needs to be kept in the game.

Its just that those times only happen a few times a game. But when a batter is up with tieing run on second with two outs there is a lot of suspense and excitement with every pitch. Or bases loaded in a close game.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

684548595E4F58181B2A0 wrote: Rather than retype my thoughts, I'll link to what I posted on Twitter today. I'm disgusted by these rule changes. The NL DH and extra innings fiasco did it for me. I'll probably still tune in, because that's my addiction, but I'm just disgusted right now. Yes, get rid of Manfred. He, the owners, the players...they've ruined the greatest game in the world.

Totally agree Doc. [highlight]And the rule most in need of enforcement is the strike zone.[/highlight] And since umps can't or won't enforce it, I'm all for an electronic piece in the ump's ear to let him know so he can signal ball or strike and still be there for foul balls, HBPs, balks, catcher's interference and plays at the plate. Nothing has delayed the game more than the pitch count strategy. Make the pitcher get to 100 ASAP to force the other mgr to get into his BP. Batters don't have look for a strike to hit because it might not even be called a strike. Work that count. When I watch games that display the pitch track in the corner it seems about a third to a half of pitches in every AB are called wrong. Batters know a strike isn't necessarily a strike so they take pitches to drive the count up. Send batters to the plate knowing they won't get the benefit of bad calls and they will focus on hitting rather than taking as many pitchers as possible. Do that for every batter and the game will speed up.

Another good point.  It seems that in the current game, a walk is regarded to be better than a hit because of the extra pitches that are thrown.  But it has to be more difficult to draw a walk than to get a hit.  After all, how many times does a hitter end a season with more walks than hits?  Barry Bonds had more walks than hits seven times (all during his final years when teams refused to pitch to him). Ted Williams did it once. Babe Ruth never did it.

As for the electronic strike zone, I'm completely against technology being part of the game but I've come to the point that the inconsistencies demonstrated by the umpires have become too much of a factor in the outcomes of at bats and, ultimately, games.  I'm not sure that their older eyes are good enough to follow the speed and movement of today's pitchers.  I'm willing to try the technology.
mouse

Post by mouse »

An enforced strike zone, in my opinion, would help a lot. It would help to if a pitch only had to touch the outside line to be a strike.
Lecom

Post by Lecom »

Someday I will take the time to explain why I am moving slow but methodically away from the game. Manfred continues to do damage to the game by instituting unneeded as well as questionable changes to the game. How many of them hang on once the game gets back to normal ( if it ever does) who knows. It is time for Manfred to go.