Ray game

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Ray game

Post by JollyRoger »

Since the Pirates are unwatchable I tuned into the Tampa Bay game. Glasnow pitched 3 innings and struck out 7 of the 9. No runs no walks. Meadows is now hitting.288 with 32 HR, 88 RBI’s and a .922 OBS

Worst trade ever!!!
WiffleballHero

Ray game

Post by WiffleballHero »

I can see the Comic Book Guy saying "worst trade ever," but I believe it's probably going to be true.   This franchise has been around since 1882 and in the National League since 1887, and our current GM may have literally made the worst Pirates trade of all time.

The only trade that may be worse than this is the 1946 fiasco where the Pirates sent Bob Elliott and Hank Carnelli to the Boston Braves for Billy Herman, and three nobodies.  Herman, who was supposed to be the player-manager, quit as a player after 15 games, then got fired at the end of 1947.  Meanwhile Elliott was collecting his MVP award with the Braves and then was a big piece in their 1948 pennant surprise year.

There's also giving up Kiki Cuyler, Arky Vaughn and Aramis Ramirez for peanuts.  And the Billy Cox/Preacher Row trade to Brooklyn in 1947 for Dixie "I can't play with Jackie Robinson" Walker, among others, that set up the Dodgers' "Boys of Summer" team for a decade and set up the Pirates to be a doormat for a decade.

But I think all those bad trades have finally been surpassed by this one.  Even if they don't help Tampa Bay go to the World Series -- like the ones in '46 and '47 helped Boston and Brooklyn do -- it still makes July 31, 2018, as the worst Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day of the century so far.
NJBucsFan

Ray game

Post by NJBucsFan »

I had to double check you on the 32 home runs, that staggers the imagination.
CarolinaBucco

Ray game

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Yea, it's absolutely brutal watching Meadows and Glasnow, and knowing that Archer has been a disaster.

But what would have made it even worse would have been to "throw in" a PTBNL who throws 99 mph and could one day become a No. 1 starter.

Oh wait ...