47 Years Since Roberto Passed Away

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I remember waking up on New Years Day hearing the news that Clemente died in a plane crash the night before. I have not heard how many former Pirates will enter the Bucs Hall of Fame with Steve Blass this season, but I would think “The Great Roberto” should accompany Blass when they announce the initial class of Bucco Hall of Famers.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I remember, too. It took me a long time to realize it really happened.
Quail

Post by Quail »

I remember it all too well. Worst New Years day I've personally ever experienced. Earlier this month I had a layover at the Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport in San Juan, and I couldn't help thinking about December 31, 1972, and the fact that I was at the place where Roberto had spent the last few hours of his life.
psuinpgh21

Post by psuinpgh21 »

I was 8. I was so devastated. The Pirates were my world and Roberto was my idol. I didn't mind playing right field back then (or after)- to me it was where I always wanted to play.
GnatsEyelash

Post by GnatsEyelash »

I was 13 and my best friend was a Reds fan.

The thing I remember most about that day I found out was when my friend came down to my house with his condolences.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I was 18 and watching TV in my bedroom while my parents had friends over for New Year's Eve. By father came up and told me but I didn't really believe it until I saw the news the next day.