December Rule 5 Draft

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Does anyone know what prospects the Pirates must protect prior to the December Rule 5 Draft ? I am thinking possibly Swaggerty may need to be added to the roster.
WildwoodDave

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by WildwoodDave »

202C2D767F767E73746B71460 wrote: Does anyone know what prospects the Pirates must protect prior to the December Rule 5 Draft ? I am thinking  possibly Swaggerty may need to be added to the roster.
you will have to direct that question to Green Weenie
Bobster21

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by Bobster21 »

He has played professionally 3 years now because they didn't play this year in the minors. The rule is that he has to be protected after 4 years. But I wonder if they would count this year for that purpose so as not to disadvantage minor leaguers from getting selected.
Ecbucs

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by Ecbucs »

436E63727564733330010 wrote: He has played professionally 3 years now because they didn't play this year in the minors. The rule is that he has to be protected after 4 years. But I wonder if they would count this year for that purpose so as not to disadvantage minor leaguers from getting selected.

since this is counting as a major league season my guess is that it will count as a minor league season to for contract purposes.

The Bucs should protect as many young players as they can and it should not be a problem. Pitchers with good arms are most likely to be taken, the team doesn't have any catchers to protect other than Stallings. The Pirates should be in a position to take a player if they want.
fjk090852-7

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by fjk090852-7 »

6A5451594A525259795C4B583D0 wrote: Does anyone know what prospects the Pirates must protect prior to the December Rule 5 Draft ? I am thinking  possibly Swaggerty may need to be added to the roster.
you will have to direct that question to Green Weenie
A couple guys have given me some information, and I assume the Bucs ML B site may have an article in the near future listing players who need to be protected.
GreenWeenie

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by GreenWeenie »

That's Dave being a jag. He knows that IDGAS who they protect and who they don't.
fjk090852-7

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by fjk090852-7 »

There is an article on the MLB Site regarding the upcoming Rule 5 Draft, and it lists some of the top players on each team which need to be protected. I noticed on the Blue Jays site Riley Adams a 24 year old catcher who is their 22 best prospect is eligible to be added to the roster. If Adams would not be added by the Blue Jays, I wonder if the Pirates would take him since they have the first pick in the draft, their catching depth is weak, and there is probably some background of him with the current Pirate Brass.
BellevueBuc

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by BellevueBuc »

767A7B2029202825223D27100 wrote: Does anyone know what prospects the Pirates must protect prior to the December Rule 5 Draft ? I am thinking  possibly Swaggerty may need to be added to the roster.

Players signed at age 18 or younger need to be added to their club's 40-Man Roster within five seasons or they become eligible for the Rule 5 Draft. Players who signed at age 19 or older need to be protected within four seasons

Swaggerty was 21 when drafted, so he will be eligible after 4 seasons, or next year.

Notable players that were previously eligible:

Lolo Sanchez, Hunter Owen, Stephen Alemais, Jandel Gustave, James Marvel, and Yerry De Los Santos. Doubt any of them are protected.

First Time Eligible:

Jason Delay, Deon Stafford, Rodolfo Castro, Robbie Glendinning, Bligh Madris, Blake Weiman, Beau Sulser, Max Kranick, Shea Murray, Braeden Ogle, Travis MacGregor, Noe Toribo, Osvaldo Bido, Santiago Florez + others.

I would bet they protect Castro, Kranick, Weiman and Ogle. All but Weiman were in Altoona this year, so unless they really sucked, they will protect them.

There are some other interesting arms like Murray, Florez, and Bido they could protect, probably depends on their internal thoughts on them. Seems less likely guys that were hurt or still in lower levels would be picked like Florez.

ChitownBucco

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by ChitownBucco »

would be a very tough year to make selections from other teams

you will not have seen these kids play or had any solid stats or video on them in well over 15 months. that is a lot of development time for these kids. Who knows who progressed or didn't. Do we even have solid info on their health?
Bobster21

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by Bobster21 »

1B30312C372F361A2D3B3B37580 wrote: would be a very tough year to make selections from other teams

you will not have seen these kids play or had any solid stats or video on them in well over 15 months. that is a lot of development time for these kids. Who knows who progressed or didn't. Do we even have solid info on their health?
I agree but it also makes it more difficult to decide who to protect. Teams may try to expose some players they would have protected if they had played this year in order to protect others.

But a team like the Pirates has nothing to lose by taking a flyer on an unprotected prospect or two who is left off his team's 40-man because he's still a couple years away. The Pirates will remain noncompetitive in 2021 and can afford to put such players on their roster for a year and then send them to the minors the next year. Competitive teams can't afford to waste a roster spot on such players. That's why the Dodgers didn't put a raw Clemente on their roster as a bonus baby in 1954. But bad teams don't have that dilemma.

I think the Pirates should take advantage of the Rule 5 draft. They have nothing to lose. They added to their farm system by taking 2 raw 19 year olds in a rookie league for Marte. They'll get more developed prospects than that in the Rule 5 draft. The only difference is that they'd have to stay on the roster all season before going back to the minors. But who cares? That won't be what keeps them from winning the World Series.