Newman

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

skinnyhorse

Newman

Post by skinnyhorse »

I'm pretty frustrated with Newman and believe his time as a starter should come to an end soon. He's been given lots of rope this year and so far he's hanging himself. 163 AB this year and batting .209 with not great defender not great at anything but making outs. I'd say 3 more weeks and if the same time to move on. Is it time to give Cruz a shot not very high on Tucker. Cruz seems to have the best physical ability, how bad was NH with all these drafts and not one decent SS. We've been without a SS since Jordy Mercer and his last couple of years he was in decline. SS is a key position and if you can't hit well then you better be a great fielder none of which he has shown it's time to move on.
Bobster21

Newman

Post by Bobster21 »

I don't think Cruz is the answer right now. Against AA pitching he's only hitting .241 and has already made 6 errors in 14 games.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Newman

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

5B434146465140475A5B4D280 wrote: I'm pretty frustrated with Newman and believe his time as a starter should come to an end soon.  He's been given lots of rope this year and so far he's hanging himself.  163 AB this year and batting .209 with not great defender not great at anything but making outs.  I'd say 3 more weeks and if the same time to move on.  Is it time to give Cruz a shot not very high on Tucker.  Cruz seems to have the best physical ability, [highlight]how bad was NH with all these drafts and not one decent SS.[/highlight]  We've been without a SS since Jordy Mercer and his last couple of years he was in decline.  SS is a key position and if you can't hit well then you better be a great fielder none of which he has shown it's time to move on.

The answer is that he was pretty bad. That fact's been especially exposed in the past two seasons. Incredibly, there have been no minor league outfielders who've been able to step in this season, and maybe not for a couple more. Frazier, the one player Cherington can trade for a good return, has no replacement who's close, keeping BC from dealing him now when he's hitting so well. If he falls off between now and the end of July, the return diminishes.

Newman's replacement is still two to three years away, and apparently there isn't a catcher in the system who can take over for Stallings. It's like Huntington was a virus, destroying the organization from the inside.
MaineBucs

Newman

Post by MaineBucs »

At present, Newman doesn't appear to be the answer at short. Unfortunately, there are no good replacements.

Gonzalez has shown that he isn't the replacement. Good glove, but he has yet to hit more consistently. Pirates have given him a lot of ab's, but he appears to be mired in the .220 range at the plate, and struggles even more against good (and bad) pitchers who exploit his weakness of chasing pitches low and off the plate.

Tucker Carlson brings a lot of enthusiasm, but in limited ab's, he has shown very little. At some point, the Pirates need to let him play SS everyday at either AAA or the majors and see how he does. No one is benefiting from his most recent call-up due to even more injuries on the Pirates, and last year was completely a loss for determining if he can play SS in the majors.

Cruz has the prospect ratings, but so far, the ratings have not translated into sustained success. Let's see where he is at after another 150 ab's in Altoona.

Peguro also has high prospect ratings, but he is now injured and is losing even more critical development time on top of a lost 2020 due to COVID.

So --- as mediocre as Newman has been, I believe the Bucs need to do one of the following: 1) Stick with him as the primary shortstop for at least another 45 games or so (no need to play Gonzalez at SS for any significant ab's, he is a reserve, not a starter); and 2) if Newman doesn't pick it up, throw Tucker to the wolves, start him every game, and see what he can do.

Next year the Pirates will need roster spots to protect prospects. If Newman or Tucker are not part of the long-term plans, then one or both of their spots can go to someone who may be part of the future. With Gonzalez, the Pirates can cut bait with him at the time of their choosing. He is a reserve who offers good defense at several positions and some versatility, however, he doesn't have much of a bat.

Bobster21

Newman

Post by Bobster21 »

5C70787F7453647262110 wrote: At present, Newman doesn't appear to be the answer at short.   Unfortunately, there are no good replacements.

Gonzalez has shown that he isn't the replacement.  Good glove, but he has yet to hit more consistently.  Pirates have given him a lot of ab's, but he appears to be mired in the .220 range at the plate, and struggles even more against good (and bad) pitchers who exploit his weakness of chasing pitches low and off the plate.

Tucker Carlson brings a lot of enthusiasm, but in limited ab's, he has shown very little.  At some point, the Pirates need to let him play SS everyday at either AAA or the majors and see how he does.  No one is benefiting from his most recent call-up due to even more injuries on the Pirates, and last year was completely a loss for determining if he can play SS in the majors.

Cruz has the prospect ratings, but so far, the ratings have not translated into sustained success.   Let's see where he is at after another 150 ab's in Altoona.

Peguro also has high prospect ratings, but he is now injured and is losing even more critical development time on top of a lost 2020 due to COVID.

So --- as mediocre as Newman has been, I believe the Bucs need to do one of the following: 1)  Stick with him as the primary shortstop for at least another 45 games or so (no need to play Gonzalez at SS for any significant ab's, he is a reserve, not a starter); and 2) if Newman doesn't pick it up, throw Tucker to the wolves, start him every game, and see what he can do.

Next year the Pirates will need roster spots to protect prospects.  If Newman or Tucker are not part of the long-term plans, then one or both of their spots can go to someone who may be part of the future.  With Gonzalez, the Pirates can cut bait with him at the time of their choosing. He is a reserve who offers good defense at several positions and some versatility, however, he doesn't have much of a bat. 

:D :D :D
MaineBucs

Newman

Post by MaineBucs »

Geez --- brain cramp running amok.

With players like Perez and Craig on the roster, perhaps Tucker Carlson at SS is an option.
steve49

Newman

Post by steve49 »

He just never hits the ball hard anymore.
skinnyhorse

Newman

Post by skinnyhorse »

4E636E7F78697E3E3D0C0 wrote: I don't think Cruz is the answer right now. Against AA pitching he's only hitting .241 and has already made 6 errors in 14 games. 
I don't think we know until we give him a shot he has the physical attributes that none of our other prospects have. I'm just tired of watching Newman and the Pirates struggle to do anything right, and ready to give someone else a chance. I totally agree with others that Gonzo is not the anwer. He shows flashes of good defense sometimes but how many run saving plays has he made this season none I can remember and that's not to say they're may have been one, but he just doesn't provide any hope. I say bring Cruz up give him a shot he may blossom or he may go bust but what have we got to lose. I think I've seen enough of Tucker he doesn't seem to have the physicality to provide anything but a weak bat and average defense. I think Piergo is at least a year away.(not sure how to spell his name)
SteadyFreddy

Newman

Post by SteadyFreddy »

31292B2C2C3B2A2D303127420 wrote: I don't think Cruz is the answer right now. Against AA pitching he's only hitting .241 and has already made 6 errors in 14 games. 
I don't think we know until we give him a shot he has the physical attributes that none of our other prospects have.  I'm just tired of watching Newman and the Pirates struggle to do anything right, and ready to give someone else a chance.  I totally agree with others that Gonzo is not the anwer.  He shows flashes of good defense sometimes but how many run saving plays has he made this season none I can remember and that's not to say they're may have been one, but he just doesn't provide any hope.  I say bring Cruz up give him a shot he may blossom or he may go bust but what have we got to lose.  I think I've seen enough of Tucker he doesn't seem to have the physicality to provide anything but a weak bat and average defense.  I think Piergo is at least a year away.(not sure how to spell his name)
I wouldn’t have a problem bringing a guy like Cruz up or Swaggerty as well to play in the outfield. Cole Tucker if they wanna give him a shot I’m fine with that but he just doesn’t do much for me. I don’t see him being apart of the future of this team. I’m with you on Newman though we gotta start seeing more production out of him moving forward. It just hasn’t been good so far this year and even going back to last year to think he can be a fixture at SS. With guys like Puegero, Nick Gonzales and Cruz knocking on the door here the next year or so Newman’s time to prove himself is definitely starting to run out.
Bobster21

Newman

Post by Bobster21 »

332B292E2E39282F323325400 wrote: I don't think Cruz is the answer right now. Against AA pitching he's only hitting .241 and has already made 6 errors in 14 games. 
I don't think we know until we give him a shot he has the physical attributes that none of our other prospects have.  I'm just tired of watching Newman and the Pirates struggle to do anything right, and ready to give someone else a chance.  I totally agree with others that Gonzo is not the anwer.  He shows flashes of good defense sometimes but how many run saving plays has he made this season none I can remember and that's not to say they're may have been one, but he just doesn't provide any hope.  I say bring Cruz up give him a shot he may blossom or he may go bust but what have we got to lose.  I think I've seen enough of Tucker he doesn't seem to have the physicality to provide anything but a weak bat and average defense.  I think Piergo is at least a year away.(not sure how to spell his name)
Actually Tucker has been very good defensively. Probably the organization's top defensive SS. But also a poor hitter. Supposedly they worked on his hitting mechanics in Bradenton this spring. So they brought him up and don't let him play while Newman isn't as good a fielder and doesn't hit anyway. Makes no sense. I agree about Gonzalez. Just a versatile utility guy without any better bat than Newman's (or maybe even Tucker's). Cruz doesn't appear ready either with the bat or glove yet. Peguero is only in high-A right now so he's a year behind Cruz. Peguero is probably their top SS prospect and will likely cause Cruz to move from SS.