This is why BC is genius-no joke

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

While we can lament the prospect of a possible 110 loss season, a lot of my sarcasm has fallen on deaf ears.

This is no joke. BC is winning-the race to the bottom. I had posted a while back, that EVERY team save maybe an outlier, is going to be dumping in 2021. Why can't people understand, 2021 is a complete punt season unless the team is already thisclose to being a serious WS winner. There are only a couple of teams poised.

Enjoy 2021 while you got it, because I seriously doubt we'll see much of 2022. While people whine about BC trading off "stars" who couldn't make the team even remotely resemble a professional baseball team, his return on those players have fetched better returns, albeit on paper, than what the Indians just got in the Lindor and Carrasco trade.

Think about that for a second. BC is already ahead of the game. When MLB returns again in 2023, which team is going to have a bevvy of players ready to start their primes?

Like I said, take your vitamins, put in walk in tubs, hire someone to clean the gutters, watch your weight, quit drinking and smoking, eat healthy. You'll want to be alive in 2024 when the Pirates turn into a juggernaut for a couple of years, before it gets blown up again.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/the-franci ... 53792.html
shedman

Post by shedman »

2024??? That is just not good enough. Someone else has already kicked the can down the road to 2025. You will have to raise your bid to 2026.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

130805040D010E600 wrote: 2024???  That is just not good enough.  Someone else has already kicked the can down the road to 2025.  You will have to raise your bid to 2026.

I have already said I think they'll be a serious division contender in 2022-IF there is a 2022. Division champs 2023. WS 2024 if not sooner.

But thank you for adding to a discussion about the fact that MLB teams, save for a couple, are all doing what the Pirates are doing. BC was first out of the gate, and he's not going to be caught now in the race to the bottom.

I understand your schtick, and it's funny, to a point. But you don't want to actually discuss baseball, your baseball is limited to two things: Fantasy games, and Bob Nutting. Which is cool.

But it would actually be nice if you could contribute to what's presented in a thread, instead of turning it into the same old tired act.

What say you about the Rays? Two games away from winning it all and....PUNT. Red Sox win the World Series in 2018 with a team that won 108 games, what happened there? The Indians just traded away two players, one who is on a career arc that may land him in the HOF, and the team still had a year of control, along with a very serviceable front line starting pitcher, for a return that is significantly less than what the Pirates got for Josh Bell.

BC just simply started things faster than all the others, and yes because of Bob, the Pirates have a head start. NH was fired not because he wasn't saving any money, but because of his incompetence, the Pirates didn't look to have any chance of ever getting back to 2013 again.

Quit being so myopic about things, it's not the Pirates...it's MLB. Every team is going moneyball, save for teams that are already there, and have big market dollars.

That's what this thread is about.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I agree that Ben Cherington is getting this team prepared to contend in a couple years. This has been a very strange off-season in which teams likes the Cubs have traded and non tendered some of their better players. I have seen a note that ESPN is considering a new MLB television agreement which is not as lucrative as in the past.

After the 2021 season there is going to be a work stoppage, and I feel the Players Association are going to demand changes with arbitration eligibility, free agency as well as a team salary floor. Teams spending less than 50 million dollars per year on team salary will no longer exist. There is going to be some type of annual escalating scale which teams will have to meet or face penalties.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

507671646D61766068030 wrote: While we can lament the prospect of a possible 110 loss season, a lot of my sarcasm has fallen on deaf ears.

This is no joke. BC is winning-the race to the bottom. I had posted a while back, that EVERY team save maybe an outlier, is going to be dumping in 2021. Why can't people understand, 2021 is a complete punt season unless the team is already thisclose to being a serious WS winner. There are only a couple of teams poised.

Enjoy 2021 while you got it, because I seriously doubt we'll see much of 2022. While people whine about BC trading off "stars" who couldn't make the team even remotely resemble a professional baseball team, his return on those players have fetched better returns, albeit on paper, than what the Indians just got in the Lindor and Carrasco trade.

Think about that for a second. BC is already ahead of the game. When MLB returns again in 2023, which team is going to have a bevvy of players ready to start their primes?

Like I said, take your vitamins, put in walk in tubs, hire someone to clean the gutters, watch your weight, quit drinking and smoking, eat healthy. You'll want to be alive in 2024 when the Pirates turn into a juggernaut for a couple of years, before it gets blown up again.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/the-franci ... 53792.html
It's an interesting article. Of course, this is SOP for Nutting's Pirates. But it's a strange time in MLB. A lot of financial uncertainty. Teams lost all their attendance revenue and a big chunk of their broadcast revenue playing just 60 games last year and no one knows what the situation will be in 2021. I would imagine that teams that pay big contracts have a revenue plan in place for the upcoming years. But 2020 shot a hole in such plans with no assurances that MLB will be back to normal in 2021. The salary structure of MLB has been so extreme that some teams must be very scared now when they look at their payrolls vs their uncertain revenue.

I'm sure BC took the GM job knowing full well that he would have to operate on the usual Nutting shoestring budget. But he had no way of knowing that even that small budget would be further effected by the pandemic-related revenue loss. The pandemic isn't the reason for Nutting's miniscule payroll. That's been going on for years. But it's certainly a reason we won't be seeing a change in that policy this year. Even teams not known for penny pinching suddenly seem interested in unloading contracts.

Nutting has never been interested in winning a championship. It's all business for him and turning a profit is his win. It looks like some other teams are beginning to buy into that same concept.
shedman

Post by shedman »

624443565F5344525A310 wrote: 2024???  That is just not good enough.  Someone else has already kicked the can down the road to 2025.  You will have to raise your bid to 2026.

I have already said I think they'll be a serious division contender in 2022-IF there is a 2022. Division champs 2023. WS 2024 if not sooner.

But thank you for adding to a discussion about the fact that MLB teams, save for a couple, are all doing what the Pirates are doing. BC was first out of the gate, and he's not going to be caught now in the race to the bottom.

I understand your schtick, and it's funny, to a point. But you don't want to actually discuss baseball, your baseball is limited to two things: Fantasy games, and Bob Nutting. Which is cool.

But it would actually be nice if you could contribute to what's presented in a thread, instead of turning it into the same old tired act.

What say you about the Rays? Two games away from winning it all and....PUNT.  Red Sox win the World Series in 2018 with a team that won 108 games, what happened there? The Indians just traded away two players, one who is on a career arc that may land him in the HOF, and the team still had a year of control, along with a very serviceable front line starting pitcher, for a return that is significantly less than what the Pirates got for Josh Bell.

BC just simply started things faster than all the others, and yes because of Bob, the Pirates have a head start. NH was fired not because he wasn't saving any money, but because of his incompetence, the Pirates didn't look to have any chance of ever getting back to 2013 again.

Quit being so myopic about things, it's not the Pirates...it's MLB.  Every team is going moneyball, save for teams that are already there, and have big market dollars.

_______-

If you want toalk about Pirate baseball in 2021, I am on board. But I have no interest in discussing kicking the can down the road and potraying it as some grand master strategy when really all it is in being a cheapskate.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

The cluelessness is strong with the Shed. May the schwartz be with you.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

3E252829202C234D0 wrote: 2024???  That is just not good enough.  Someone else has already kicked the can down the road to 2025.  You will have to raise your bid to 2026.

What say you about the Rays? Two games away from winning it all and....PUNT.  Red Sox win the World Series in 2018 with a team that won 108 games, what happened there? The Indians just traded away two players, one who is on a career arc that may land him in the HOF, and the team still had a year of control, along with a very serviceable front line starting pitcher, for a return that is significantly less than what the Pirates got for Josh Bell.

Quit being so myopic about things, it's not the Pirates...it's MLB.  Every team is going moneyball, save for teams that are already there, and have big market dollars.

_______-

If you want toalk about Pirate baseball in 2021, I am on board.   But I have no interest in discussing kicking the can down the road and potraying it as some grand master strategy when really all it  is in being a cheapskate.
Just what is it you're onboard with, Shed? What is the Pirate baseball you're willing to talk about? We know Nutting is cheap. Every Pirate fan knows that. Every OBN member knows that and knew it long before you joined the board to talk about nothing else.

Everybody knows they won't be doing a 180 in 2021 and turning the team around to become instantly competitive. So you have no interest in discussing kicking the can. Sounds like that means if the Pirates aren't winning in 2021, you have no interest in discussing them because it's just kicking the can. So you will just harp on that 24/7 to OBN posters who don't need you to tell us and get tired of hearing it when that's all you have to offer.

Surg's prediction is the most optimistic I've heard from anyone. I wouldn't put money on that outcome but I'd love for him to be right.

Serious division contender in 2022-IF there is a 2022.

Division champs 2023.

WS 2024 if not sooner!!!

Doesn't sound like kicking the can to me. But you say you're onboard with talking Pirate baseball in 2021 but then tell someone who just predicted a WS by 2024 if not sooner that you have no interest in discussing kicking the can. If that's how you see it then why even be on a message board to talk Pirates? It's not a secret how they operate. Nobody fooled you. You're not the only one who realized Nutting is cheap. It's not something we need you to share with us every day. We don't anxiously await your daily reminder. If you're Pirate fan surely there is more you can contribute to the board.
PMike

Post by PMike »

200D00111607105053620 wrote: 2024???  That is just not good enough.  Someone else has already kicked the can down the road to 2025.  You will have to raise your bid to 2026.

_______-

If you want toalk about Pirate baseball in 2021, I am on board.   But I have no interest in discussing kicking the can down the road and potraying it as some grand master strategy when really all it  is in being a cheapskate.
Just what is it you're onboard with, Shed? What is the Pirate baseball you're willing to talk about? We know Nutting is cheap. Every Pirate fan knows that. Every OBN member knows that and knew it long before you joined the board to talk about nothing else.

Everybody knows they won't be doing a 180 in 2021 and turning the team around to become instantly competitive. So you have no interest in discussing kicking the can. Sounds like that means if the Pirates aren't winning in 2021, you have no interest in discussing them because it's just kicking the can. So you will just harp on that 24/7 to OBN posters who don't need you to tell us and get tired of hearing it when that's all you have to offer.

Surg's prediction is the most optimistic I've heard from anyone. I wouldn't put money on that outcome but I'd love for him to be right.

Division champs 2023.

WS 2024 if not sooner!!!

Doesn't sound like kicking the can to me. But you say you're onboard with talking Pirate baseball in 2021 but then tell someone who just predicted a WS by 2024 if not sooner that you have no interest in discussing kicking the can. If that's how you see it then why even be on a message board to talk Pirates? It's not a secret how they operate. Nobody fooled you. You're not the only one who realized Nutting is cheap. It's not something we need you to share with us every day. We don't anxiously await your daily reminder. If you're Pirate fan surely there is more you can contribute to the board. 

And respectfully I'd add, don't comment if it isn't a thread in which you want to discuss. This thread was clearly about the future. You have every right not not want to discuss the future. Yet you have posted twice to denounce the mere conversation.

There are threads on this forum that don't all of us from time to time. When that happens, we move along.
shedman

Post by shedman »

627F5B5957320 wrote: 2024???  That is just not good enough.  Someone else has already kicked the can down the road to 2025.  You will have to raise your bid to 2026.

_______-

Division champs 2023.

WS 2024 if not sooner!!!

And respectfully I'd add, don't comment if it isn't a thread in which you want to discuss.  This thread was clearly about the future.  You have every right not not want to discuss the future.  Yet you have posted twice to denounce the mere conversation.

There are threads on this forum that don't all of us from time to time.  When that happens, we move along.
______

Good point PMike.  I will discontinue posting in this thread or any other thread that is about the years 2022 and beyond until the end of 2021.