Interesting comments from Hartlieb

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

We hear a lot about the dysfunctional clubhouse last year and Hartlieb's comments help clarify that. He'll have to pitch a whole lot better if he wants to see the majors again. But between the players in the clubhouse and the way the team was operated, it sounds like a very unpleasant atmosphere last season.

Hartlieb also believes the mental part of his game will be better this season. The 26-year-old admits he never felt comfortable during his time with the Pirates in 2019.

Of course, the Pirates clubhouse wasn’t the most welcoming place for a rookie a year ago. There was plenty of dissension and discord, especially during a second-half collapse that led to the Pirates finishing last in the National League Central for the first time since 2010.

Making matters worse, Hartlieb felt constricted by the organizational approach of general manager Neal Huntington, manager Clint Hurdle and pitching coach Ray Searage. All three have since been fired.

“Fresh” is the word Hartlieb uses to describe the new trio of GM Ben Cherington, manager Derek Shelton and pitching coach Oscar Marin.

“From a rookie standpoint, you know you’re the young guy and you’re trying to keep your head down and do your thing,” Hartlieb said of last season. “I just didn’t find the whole atmosphere to be very welcoming, open, receptive to ideas.

“There was only one way to do things. That really held me back, and I’m an emotional pitcher, an emotional guy. You didn’t see that emotion come out from me last year because I was trying to internalize everything and basically not be seen and not be heard. That’s not how I’m going to be this year.”

https://triblive.com/sports/pirates-rel ... ight-foot/
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

Reminds me of when Enrique Wilson came to Pittsburgh and when he entered the clubhouse Jason Christensen greeted him with the comment "Welcome to Hell". I never imagined the clubhouse was so bad last season.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

535651575F554C51584B4D40390 wrote: Reminds me of when Enrique Wilson came to Pittsburgh and when he entered the clubhouse Jason Christensen greeted him with the comment "Welcome to Hell".  I never imagined the clubhouse was so bad last season.

And to think, by the end of the 2015 season, the Pirates were looked at completely differently.  In just four years, they've become an organization few players want anything to do with. How long might it be before Pittsburgh becomes a legitimate alternative again?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

663026323D27373C3126143339353D387A37540 wrote: Reminds me of when Enrique Wilson came to Pittsburgh and when he entered the clubhouse Jason Christensen greeted him with the comment "Welcome to Hell".  I never imagined the clubhouse was so bad last season.

And to think, by the end of the 2015 season, the Pirates were looked at completely differently.  In just four years, they've become an organization few players want anything to do with. How long might it be before Pittsburgh becomes a legitimate alternative again?
As long as it takes Nutting to change his methods, if ever. I honestly believe he and his regime were sincere when they took over and said they would spend when the time was right. They knew that time was a long way away but it was a worthy goal....until it actually came time to do it. The 2015 team got to within 77% of the MLB average payroll winning 98 games and generating revenue from record attendance. They needed pitching and a 1Bman in 2016 and Nutting just couldn't bring himself to write the check. They settled for Jaso, Niese and Vogelsong with an insignificant spending "increase" of about $700,000 and a steady payroll drop ever since. Nutting chickened out.
shedman

Post by shedman »

123F32232435226261500 wrote: Reminds me of when Enrique Wilson came to Pittsburgh and when he entered the clubhouse Jason Christensen greeted him with the comment "Welcome to Hell".  I never imagined the clubhouse was so bad last season.

As long as it takes Nutting to change his methods, if ever. I honestly believe he and his regime were sincere when they took over and said they would spend when the time was right. They knew that time was a long way away but it was a worthy goal....until it actually came time to do it. The 2015 team got to within 77% of the MLB average payroll winning 98 games and generating revenue from record attendance. They needed pitching and a 1Bman in 2016 and Nutting just couldn't bring himself to write the check. They settled for Jaso, Niese and Vogelsong with an insignificant spending "increase" of about $700,000 and a steady payroll drop ever since. Nutting chickened out.   

_________

Exactly
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

While Hartlieb was a rookie, his comments are very telling.

First, there is only one way to pitch. Really? Who subscribes to this theory? What about maximizing the strengths of the individual pitcher. Searage was once viewed as a miracle worker. It appears that his legacy will fall quite short of such lofty heights.

Hurdle struck me as being completely disengaged from managing the team last year. If the manager doesn't care, why should I. Nutting's decision to unnecessarily award NH and Hurdle 3 year contracts may have been one of his worst moves of all.

It is encouraging to hear that many players appear to be welcoming the changes instituted by Cherington - Shelton and others. Perhaps the 'newness' will wear out quickly as the losses pile up, but that remain to be seen.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

416D6562694E796F7F0C0 wrote: While Hartlieb was a rookie, his comments are very telling.

First, there is only one way to pitch.  Really?  Who subscribes to this theory?  What about maximizing the strengths of the individual pitcher.  Searage was once viewed as a miracle worker.  It appears that his legacy will fall quite short of such lofty heights.

Hurdle struck me as being completely disengaged from managing the team last year.  If the manager doesn't care, why should I.  Nutting's decision to unnecessarily award NH and Hurdle 3 year contracts may have been one of his worst moves of all.

It is encouraging to hear that many players appear to be welcoming the changes instituted by Cherington - Shelton and others.   Perhaps the 'newness' will wear out quickly as the losses pile up, but that remain to be seen. 
I was never much of a Hurdle fan. He was kind of robotic inasmuch as he managed the pitching by formula and I suspect received instructions from NH on day to day things like lineups and who to rest. He had been managing long enough to experience the transition from managers making decisions to having little control. I don't know if he checked out last year but if he did, maybe that's why. He was an old school guy and I can't believe he was excited about strict pitch counts, shifts, scheduled days off, NH's analytics nerds and any of the things he had to adhere to with no say-so in the matter. Not that it will be different for Shelton. That's just the state of MLB today.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

032E23323524337370410 wrote: Reminds me of when Enrique Wilson came to Pittsburgh and when he entered the clubhouse Jason Christensen greeted him with the comment "Welcome to Hell".  I never imagined the clubhouse was so bad last season.

As long as it takes Nutting to change his methods, if ever. I honestly believe he and his regime were sincere when they took over and said they would spend when the time was right. They knew that time was a long way away but it was a worthy goal....until it actually came time to do it. The 2015 team got to within 77% of the MLB average payroll winning 98 games and generating revenue from record attendance. They needed pitching and a 1Bman in 2016 and Nutting just couldn't bring himself to write the check. They settled for Jaso, Niese and Vogelsong with an insignificant spending "increase" of about $700,000 and a steady payroll drop ever since. [highlight]Nutting chickened out.[/highlight]   

Yep, I've been saying that for the past four years, that he's very risk averse.  Accepting lower revenues by taking less risk is a strategy that he's thoroughly embraced.  The value of the franchise continuing to grow just by virtue of being a member of Major League Baseball is his meal ticket.