Goudreau - Will Craig

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

mouse

Goudreau - Will Craig

Post by mouse »

Pirates claim right-hander Ashton Goudreau, DFA Will Craig to make room. That's two back-up first basemen in a short time period. Does this mean it's Bell and Colin Moran?
2drfischer@gmail.c

Goudreau - Will Craig

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

76746E687E1B0 wrote: Pirates claim right-hander Ashton Goudreau, DFA Will Craig to make room. That's two back-up first basemen in a short time period. Does this mean it's Bell and Colin Moran?

Yet another Huntington first round choice doesn't help the big league club.
fjk090852-7

Goudreau - Will Craig

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Phil Evans can also play some first base, and it appears the current FO group see potential in Mason Martin. He could be knocking on the door in a couple years.
Surgnbuck

Goudreau - Will Craig

Post by Surgnbuck »

2F2D373127420 wrote: Pirates claim right-hander Ashton Goudreau, DFA Will Craig to make room. That's two back-up first basemen in a short time period. Does this mean it's Bell and Colin Moran?

Next Wednesday is going to start clearing a lot of things up.
SCBucco

Goudreau - Will Craig

Post by SCBucco »

65677D7B6D080 wrote: Pirates claim right-hander Ashton Goudreau, DFA Will Craig to make room. That's two back-up first basemen in a short time period. Does this mean it's Bell and Colin Moran?

I'd rather see Moran at 1st and Bell where Polanco is or at DH.
fjk090852-7

Goudreau - Will Craig

Post by fjk090852-7 »

663026323D27373C3126143339353D387A37540 wrote: Pirates claim right-hander Ashton Goudreau, DFA Will Craig to make room. That's two back-up first basemen in a short time period. Does this mean it's Bell and Colin Moran?

In my opinion Sanchez and Will Craig were the two most questionable first round picks that the Huntington regime made.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Goudreau - Will Craig

5C50510A030A020F08170D3A0 wrote: Pirates claim right-hander Ashton Goudreau, DFA Will Craig to make room. That's two back-up first basemen in a short time period. Does this mean it's Bell and Colin Moran?

In my opinion Sanchez and Will Craig were the two most questionable first round picks that the Huntington regime made.

Looking at the list of his first round choices, I'd say most of them were questionable. I realize that's hindsight but it's remarkable how badly he did in choosing players. Other than Cole, none of them have had sustained success. Taillon likely would have but for his injuries and illness. Meadows is shaping up, but he's not here anymore. Huntington was a disaster.
fjk090852-7

Goudreau - Will Craig

Post by fjk090852-7 »

065046525D47575C5146745359555D581A57340 wrote: Pirates claim right-hander Ashton Goudreau, DFA Will Craig to make room. That's two back-up first basemen in a short time period. Does this mean it's Bell and Colin Moran?

Looking at the list of his first round choices, I'd say most of them were questionable.  I realize that's hindsight but it's remarkable how badly he did in choosing players.  Other than Cole, none of them have had sustained success.  Taillon likely would have but for his injuries and illness.  Meadows is shaping up, but he's not here anymore.  Huntington was a disaster.
Some of his first round picks of the previous FO were questionable. Alvarez wasn't bad for a few seasons. The signing situation with Boras was a mess. I still have a glimmer of hope for Taillon. I have hope that Newman, and Tucker can develop into .280 -.290 hitters. We gave up Baz in the Archer trade , and I think the Rays think he is a keeper. I finally believe that the current FO expect that Swaggerty, and Priester are pieces of the future. Drafting in baseball is a crap shoot, but I hope Ben C and his current group can be more successful with their choices. I think their first draft this year was very good.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Goudreau - Will Craig

3D31306B626B636E69766C5B0 wrote: Pirates claim right-hander Ashton Goudreau, DFA Will Craig to make room. That's two back-up first basemen in a short time period. Does this mean it's Bell and Colin Moran?

Looking at the list of his first round choices, I'd say most of them were questionable.  I realize that's hindsight but it's remarkable how badly he did in choosing players.  Other than Cole, none of them have had sustained success.  Taillon likely would have but for his injuries and illness.  Meadows is shaping up, but he's not here anymore.  Huntington was a disaster.
Some of his first round picks of the previous FO were questionable. Alvarez wasn't bad for a few seasons. The signing situation with Boras was a mess. I still have a glimmer of hope for Taillon. I have hope that Meadows, and Tucker can develop into .280 -.290 hitters. We gave up Baz in the Archer trade , and I think the Rays think he is a keeper. I finally believe that the current FO expect that Swaggerty, and Priester are pieces of the future. Drafting in baseball is a crap shoot, but I hope Ben C and his current group can be more successful with their choices. I think their first draft this year was very good.

Alvarez was a good choice, which leads one to conclude that the organization's development practices under Huntington weren't very good, either.  My fear with Taillon is that he'll be gone before he makes a contribution.  I like Meadows but for whatever reason, Huntington and/or Hurdle didn't. I'm not a big Tucker fan.  He looks too undisciplined and hasn't done much to earn his way on the field.  Swaggerty and Priester are still unknowns.

I have more faith in Cherington's ability to recognize talent and put a development staff and system into place that will result in better talent getting to Pittsburgh.
GreenWeenie

Goudreau - Will Craig

Post by GreenWeenie »

757978232A232B26213E24130 wrote: Pirates claim right-hander Ashton Goudreau, DFA Will Craig to make room. That's two back-up first basemen in a short time period. Does this mean it's Bell and Colin Moran?

Some of his first round picks of the previous FO were questionable. Alvarez wasn't bad for a few seasons. The signing situation with Boras was a mess. I still have a glimmer of hope for Taillon. I have hope that Meadows, and Tucker can develop into .280 -.290 hitters. We gave up Baz in the Archer trade , and I think the Rays think he is a keeper. I finally believe that the current FO expect that Swaggerty, and Priester are pieces of the future. Drafting in baseball is a crap shoot, but I hope Ben C and his current group can be more successful with their choices. I think their first draft this year was very good.

Not defending anyone here.  Just stating the point.  It's not just in MLB.  Look at every sport.  Even guys taken with the first overall pick have been nowhere near dead-lock successes.  For every superstar or star, there's at least one bust or flat out bust. It's just what you have to accept when dealing with teenagers, young adults, and really- people of all ages. So many things can happen from the start to finish.