some love for the Bucs

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

some love for the Bucs

Post by Ecbucs »

in MLB Trade Rumors chat there was this question and answer:

4:28 Any prediction for a breakout team or unexpected contender for 2019?

Jeffrey Todd

4:28 Wild darkhorse pick ... Pirates to take the NL Central!

4:29 (I'm not predicting this. But if pressed, I'll take them as my wild card.)
fjk090852-7

some love for the Bucs

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Nice to see something positive. I sure wish they would add a shortstop, veteran bench bat, and another pitcher. Those additions could go a long way to strengthen their team.
CarolinaBucco

some love for the Bucs

Post by CarolinaBucco »

The Pirates are close to being a playoff contender, but once again they are doing nothing about taking the next step. Perfectly content with going 82-80. Like FJK said, it would be SO EASY AND AFFORDABLE to do just a few things to make this team significantly better:

1. Sign a SS

2. Sign another pitcher

3. Sign another LH OF/bat off bench

If it were me, I'd sign Hecheverria, Granderson and Gio Gonzalez. But there are still a lot of decent options out there.

Of course the Pirates are happy with their "internal options" and they are VERY happy with their $70M payroll.
GermanTownship

some love for the Bucs

Post by GermanTownship »

Many signings will be made before and during the start of spring training by all teams. The players better begin to see the writing on the wall and be realistic. Players being signed to ridiculous contracts, for the most most, are over. But, I will be very disappointed if the Bucs, along with many others, don't sign a shortstop, pitchers (both starting and reliever), and maybe another decent outfielder. I also feel the Pirates could challenge for a playoff spot.
notes34

some love for the Bucs

Post by notes34 »

I sure wish I could find the enthusiasm that you guys have. I think the Pirates will be fighting for the cellar instead of the title. The Cubs, Cards, and Brewers all have more talent on their roster than the Pirates. IMO the Reds are going to be as good as the Bucs. This team desperately needs a SP, SS, and a decent bat. We are weak defensively at both IF corners and more than likely below average offensively at both of these positions. RF is going to be an issue also. I just don't see it.
CarolinaBucco

some love for the Bucs

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Agree. Right now we are bad.

We if you added a Gold Glove caliber SS, another LH bat for the OF and a lefty starter, then I then all of sudden this team is at least a contender for a WC spot.

And adding those 3 pieces would NOT cost much $$$ and would be very affordable and realistic for a team with just a $70M payroll.
OrlandoMerced

some love for the Bucs

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Injuries and performance volatility are important factors to consider here.

1. Brewers - They have a weak rotation, Aguilar will not likely be the same player he was last year. Braun keeps getting worse. They aren't a given.

2. Cubs - old rotation and some overpaid veterans will be getting a lot of playing time. Lester is not a good locker room guy, and if things start to go bad for this time, it could spiral. I don't think Baez will be an MVP type performer again, but if Bryant comes back they will still be very dangerous and give the Pirates hell.

3. Cards - Carpenter was all world last year, he won't do that again. The rotation has little beyone Mikolas who was also a Cy Young type performer last year. Not to mention Yadier is still old and heavily relied upon.

4. Reds - yeah ok.
Bobster21

some love for the Bucs

Post by Bobster21 »

426465726474070 wrote: in MLB Trade Rumors chat there was this question and answer:

4:28 Any prediction for a breakout team or unexpected contender for 2019?

Jeffrey Todd

4:28 Wild darkhorse pick ... Pirates to take the NL Central!

4:29 (I'm not predicting this. But if pressed, I'll take them as my wild card.)

That's about the safest prediction in the history of predictions. He's poised for either "Yeah, I never thought they would" or "See? I told you so."
Bobster21

some love for the Bucs

Post by Bobster21 »

2A2B3021377770440 wrote: I sure wish I could find the enthusiasm that you guys have. I think the Pirates will be fighting for the cellar instead of the title. The Cubs, Cards, and Brewers all have more talent on their roster than the Pirates. IMO the Reds are going to be as good as the Bucs. This team desperately needs a SP, SS, and a decent bat. We are weak defensively at both IF corners and more than likely below average offensively at both of these positions. RF is going to be an issue also. I just don't see it.

Agreed. I don't see reasons to expect more than the 82 wins last year. The key is that Taillon, Archer and Williams all need to pitch great. But that's asking a lot especially with a horrible defensive infield. Bell and Moran are both very bad defenders. They're hoping Frazier can be adequate and they have no SS. And even with good pitching TBMTIB has done nothing to improve a team that was below the league average in runs scored. We seem to be hoping they can at least tread water until Polanco returns. That's the Polanco who's never hit higher than .258 or hit more than 23 HRs and is clueless in the OF and on the bases. I guess this is the time to be optimistic because once the games start, the chinks in the armor show. But I look at this roster and just don't see reasons to expect a lot unless winning 82 games is the goal (which, according to NH, is part of the 78-82 win goal).
SammyKhalifa

some love for the Bucs

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4664776A696C6B64477066666A050 wrote: Agree. Right now we are bad.

Define "bad." We're basically the same team that won 82 games last year. I think we'll be largely the same this year, maybe a tick over, yet still in the bottom half of the division. Which of course isn't good.