Either Anthony Alford or Oneil Cruz Needs to Start Next Year

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

#7 Argument Starter

Our team is desperate for power in the middle of the batting order. Anthony Alford is one strong dude, and if he has a decent ST, I hope the Bucs give him one last chance in LF. But it's a 50/50 proposition, and so I think it's time to have a heart-to-heart talk with Oneil Cruz about playing a very deep shortstop - that is, left field. Cruz may be more amenable to left field since he's used to seeing batted balls coming from a shortstop's angle. I know that he has a cannon arm, but in PNC's vast LF expanse, that can be put to good use.

Cruz could use a month of on the job training at Indy while the Bucs give Alford his final chance. If Baseball's basic agreement doesn't change, that may help keep Cruz off of Super Two status.

We need a power threat beyond Yoshi Tsutugo. They're expensive to acquire, so I think we should give our internal options a shot in LF.
BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

5F757E4E796F6F630C0 wrote: #7 Argument Starter

Our team is desperate for power in the middle of the batting order. Anthony Alford is one strong dude, and if he has a decent ST, I hope the Bucs give him one last chance in LF. But it's a 50/50 proposition, and so I think it's time to have a heart-to-heart talk with Oneil Cruz about playing a very deep shortstop - that is, left field. Cruz may be more amenable to left field since he's used to seeing batted balls coming from a shortstop's angle. I know that he has a cannon arm, but in PNC's vast LF expanse, that can be put to good use.

Cruz could use a month of on the job training at Indy while the Bucs give Alford his final chance. If Baseball's basic agreement doesn't change, that may help keep Cruz off of Super Two status.

We need a power threat beyond Yoshi Tsutugo. They're expensive to acquire, so I think we should give our internal options a shot in LF.

Why not just let Cruz play SS, there is not anyone else they need to play there. Alford needs to make contact for that to matter. Same with Tsutugo, who has major problems with MLB fastballs. I am not sure I would buy him just yet.

Also, if you were going to move Cruz, why not CF? Reynolds is a better fit in LF long term. He was ok in CF, but probably a wise move to put him back in LF.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Alford swings and misses quite a bit, but he also appears to have some talent and power. I too would get him regular starts in either LF or RF at the beginning of the season to see if he can be a productive outfielder. Out of the weak cast of current outfielders to flank Reynolds; Oliva, Gamel, Allen and Alford, Alford strikes me as the one who could be a longer term piece. Hopefully, some of the outfielders in the minors may soon offer some additional alternatives.

I am generally in the club of giving Cruz a month or two of additional time in AAA before bringing him north (a change in the collective bargaining agreement, however, could affect that timetable). When he does come up, and if he can play an acceptable SS, then the Bucs should keep him at a position he is most comfortable until he breaks into the majors. That said, I would be comfortable with him playing LF, RF, CF or even 1B. Bucs need hitters, particularly players with some power, and there are any number of positions he could play on the field and be a benefit. Regardless, when he does come up, he should get regular playing time.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

It seems some folks would like to make a Kris Bryant-type player out of Cruz. That's okay with me. As long as he provides similar power on a consistent basis I don't care where he plays.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

143830373C1B2C3A2A590 wrote: Alford swings and misses quite a bit, but he also appears to have some talent and power.  I too would get him regular starts in either LF or RF at the beginning of the season to see if he can be a productive outfielder.  Out of the weak cast of current outfielders to flank Reynolds; Oliva, Gamel, Allen and Alford, Alford strikes me as the one who could be a longer term piece.   Hopefully, some of the outfielders in the minors may soon offer some additional alternatives.

I am generally in the club of giving Cruz a month or two of additional time in AAA before bringing him north (a change in the collective bargaining agreement, however, could affect that timetable).  When he does come up, and if he can play an acceptable SS, then the Bucs should keep him at a position he is most comfortable until he breaks into the majors.   That said, I would be comfortable with him playing LF, RF, CF or even 1B.   Bucs need hitters, particularly players with some power, and there are any number of positions he could play on the field and be a benefit.    Regardless, when he does come up, he should get regular playing time.

Definitely want to see what Alford can do in spring training and hope he does well. In addition to his power, it turns out he was fastest runner on team last year.

I don't have the link but it can be found somehow on Fangraphs and it measures feet per second. Alford was a little over 29 feet per second. Oliva was one of the top 3 or 4 in speed too (both better than Tucker).
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

1D3B3A2D3B2B580 wrote: Alford swings and misses quite a bit, but he also appears to have some talent and power.  I too would get him regular starts in either LF or RF at the beginning of the season to see if he can be a productive outfielder.  Out of the weak cast of current outfielders to flank Reynolds; Oliva, Gamel, Allen and Alford, Alford strikes me as the one who could be a longer term piece.   Hopefully, some of the outfielders in the minors may soon offer some additional alternatives.

I am generally in the club of giving Cruz a month or two of additional time in AAA before bringing him north (a change in the collective bargaining agreement, however, could affect that timetable).  When he does come up, and if he can play an acceptable SS, then the Bucs should keep him at a position he is most comfortable until he breaks into the majors.   That said, I would be comfortable with him playing LF, RF, CF or even 1B.   Bucs need hitters, particularly players with some power, and there are any number of positions he could play on the field and be a benefit.    Regardless, when he does come up, he should get regular playing time.

Definitely want to see what Alford can do in spring training and hope he does well.  In addition to his power, it turns out he was fastest runner on team last year.

I don't have the link but it can be found somehow on Fangraphs and it measures feet per second.  Alford was a little over 29 feet per second.  Oliva was one of the top 3 or 4 in speed too (both better than Tucker).

I sure hope that if Alford does well in ST, that he does not turn into a Kevin Newman once the season starts.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

7651585851424151764157340 wrote: #7 Argument Starter

Why not just let Cruz play SS, there is not anyone else they need to play there.  Alford needs to make contact for that to matter. Same with Tsutugo, who has major problems with MLB fastballs. I am not sure I would buy him just yet.

Also, if you were going to move Cruz, why not CF?  Reynolds is a better fit in LF long term. He was ok in CF, but probably a wise move to put him back in LF.

I think Reynolds was better than just ok- he was runner up for Golden Glove and it was his first year playing CF ( I believe)
BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

022E26212A0D3A2C3C4F0 wrote: Alford swings and misses quite a bit, but he also appears to have some talent and power.  I too would get him regular starts in either LF or RF at the beginning of the season to see if he can be a productive outfielder.  Out of the weak cast of current outfielders to flank Reynolds; Oliva, Gamel, Allen and Alford, Alford strikes me as the one who could be a longer term piece.   Hopefully, some of the outfielders in the minors may soon offer some additional alternatives.

Good points.  Only one I completely disagree with is playing Cruz at 1B.  I do not think that is even a remote possibility with the Pirates, and for a good reason.  You waste his speed and arm at 1B, which are two of the three reasons to be exited about him.

With the OF, they have some options to churn through once those names you brought up run their course.  Hopefully there is a starter out of the 8-9 names between the majors and AAA.

Also agree on keeping Cruz in AAA.  Not just for $ reasons, he only played a handful of games in AAA.  If the rules change and he is clearly ready in spring, ok then.  The push to move him from SS is also very premature.  There is not a player he would block this year or take time from. His defense concerns are also wildly over blown.
BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

5A6461697A626269496C7B683F0D0 wrote: #7 Argument Starter

Why not just let Cruz play SS, there is not anyone else they need to play there.  Alford needs to make contact for that to matter. Same with Tsutugo, who has major problems with MLB fastballs. I am not sure I would buy him just yet.

Also, if you were going to move Cruz, why not CF?  Reynolds is a better fit in LF long term. He was ok in CF, but probably a wise move to put him back in LF.

I think Reynolds was better than just ok- he was runner up for Golden Glove and it was his first year playing CF ( I believe)

Nate McLouth and Andrew McCutchen won Gold Gloves. They were just ok out there as well.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

0B2C25252C3F3C2C0B3C2A490 wrote: #7 Argument Starter

Nate McLouth and Andrew McCutchen won Gold Gloves.  They were just ok out there as well.

Just wondering what you feel is better than OK. Just checked his stats. He only had two errors and a.994 Fielding average