The other games

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

The other games

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

015741555A40505B564173545E525A5F1D50330 wrote: Lot of empty seats around MLB tonight. I know it's Monday, but Toronto is pretty empty looking, I'm watching Cards Reds and Cincy is empty, Tampa Bay is on the tube against the Red Sox and that place is always empty.

It begs the question, [highlight]do they really need attendance to make money in MLB, or is that just gravy money?[/highlight]

If Pittsburgh is any indication, a team doesn't need people in the stands.  Earlier COVID restrictions and a bad roster have combined to keep fans away.  Will the Pirates reach one million in attendance?  Nutting doesn't seem concerned.

I really think that once football begins, which coincides with students going back to college and the same for high school and grade school, if your team isn't in contention, attendance is way down. Also, Friday night and Saturday high school football are extremely popular as well as College Football
WildwoodDave2

The other games

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

500610040B11010A071022050F030B0E4C01620 wrote: Speaking of The Loo, Yadier Molina 1 tear 10 mill extension for 2022 and he announces will be his final season.

He’ll hit .385 against the Bucs next year.
Is there anything Ohtani can't do? he stole home last night
Bobster21

The other games

Post by Bobster21 »

013F3A32213939321237203364560 wrote: Speaking of The Loo, Yadier Molina 1 tear 10 mill extension for 2022 and he announces will be his final season.

He's amazing. It was a 1st and 3rd situation and the runner at 1B took off. Ohtani delayed at 3B until the catcher threw to 2B and then Ohtani took off for home just beating the tag on the return throw to the catcher.
WildwoodDave2

The other games

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

7E535E4F48594E0E0D3C0 wrote: Speaking of The Loo, Yadier Molina 1 tear 10 mill extension for 2022 and he announces will be his final season.

He's amazing. It was a 1st and 3rd situation and the runner at 1B took off. Ohtani delayed at 3B until the catcher threw to 2B and then Ohtani took off for home just beating the tag on the return throw to the catcher.

The team in the field usually practices against that all the time
Bobster21

The other games

Post by Bobster21 »

5F61646C7F67676C4C697E6D3A080 wrote: Speaking of The Loo, Yadier Molina 1 tear 10 mill extension for 2022 and he announces will be his final season.

Just poor execution. I don't know who caught the ball at 2B but he was already moving forward and got off a very quick throw to the catcher. But the throw was wide of the plate to the 1B side. Otherwise Ohtani would have been an easy out. But the catcher had to turn to his left and swipe backwards to make the tag and Ohtani just got his hand in. An accurate throw would have had the catcher waiting for him.
Surgnbuck

The other games

Post by Surgnbuck »

Cardinals take first game of DH against the Reds, moving them potentially into a dead heat, as the Cards are now 68-63, the Reds 71-63.

I'm guessing the Cards are glad those three games in hand aren't against the Pirates.
WildwoodDave2

The other games

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

507D70616677602023120 wrote: Speaking of The Loo, Yadier Molina 1 tear 10 mill extension for 2022 and he announces will be his final season.

Just poor execution. I don't know who caught the ball at 2B but he was already moving forward and got off a very quick throw to the catcher. But the throw was wide of the plate to the 1B side. Otherwise Ohtani would have been an easy out. But the catcher had to turn to his left and swipe backwards to make the tag and Ohtani just got his hand in. An accurate throw would have had the catcher waiting for him.
That explains it-I have seen everybody practice it from Little League, High School Baseball and Softball as well as college .
WildwoodDave2

The other games

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

1E20252D3E26262D0D283F2C7B490 wrote: Cubs down 3 in the bottom of the 8th, lead off single.  What does fearsome slugger Javier Baez do? Tries to BUNT....and pops out to the catcher.

MLB is littered with questionable choices.

Baez is in the mold of Starling Marte and Gregory Polanco. Oodles of potential physical talent sitting beneath an empty cranium.  He's also too busy trying to be the coolest kid in class.  If he had the drive of a Pudge Rodriquez he'd be a Hall of Fame candidate.

Braves beat the Cubs 5-2. The Bucs and Cubs are now tied for 4th. A win tonight against doc's beloved Brewers and the bucs are out of the cellar
Dodgers swept Braves to take over first place int he NL West
WildwoodDave2

The other games

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

0A2C2B3E373B2C3A32590 wrote: Cardinals take first game of DH against the Reds, moving them potentially into a dead heat, as the Cards are now 68-63, the Reds 71-63.

I'm guessing the Cards are glad those three games in hand aren't against the Pirates.
Dodgers and Giants in a dead heat right now. both at 85-49

They go at each other this weekend in San Francisco. This is the last time they meet during the regular season
WildwoodDave2

The other games

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

46787D75667E7E755570677423110 wrote: Cardinals take first game of DH against the Reds, moving them potentially into a dead heat, as the Cards are now 68-63, the Reds 71-63.

Dodgers and Giants in a dead heat right now. both at 85-49

They go at each other this weekend in San Francisco. This is the last time they meet during the regular season
White Sox and Brewers both seem to have their divisions wrapped up.

Braves and Phillies will battle in the NL East They play each other Sept. 28,29,30