The other games

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

The other games

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

605E5B53405858537356415205370 wrote: Mike Schmidt?

You mean the Mike Schmidt who quit on his team mid-season?

The Mike Schmidt who quit in San Diego?

I stopped caring what Mike Schmidt thinks on that day.

He was a great player.  I'll hand him only that.
Yeah, what a quitter.  ::)

He was 39 and in his 18th season. He was coming off the worst season of his career that ended in August with rotator cuff surgery. He tried to come back for another season but it was clear he had nothing left. After a career of being one of MLB's best, he had become a 39 year old liability to his team hitting .203 with more errors (8) than HRs (6) after 42 games. The Phillies were out west on a road trip that began May 23rd and went from LA to SF to SD. After a costly error in the last game of the SF series Schmidt realized that he was hurting the team and announced his retirement when they got to SD on May 29. He was hitting .088 (5 singles in 57 ABs) over his previous 18 games. It was probably a relief to the Phillies who realized he just couldn't play anymore but would not have wanted to bench their legendary star.

Three weeks later the Phillies solved their 3B problem by acquiring Charlie Hayes from SF. Hayes was an upgrade both offensively and defensively over the 39 year old Schmidt. (I believe I heard he has a kid playing somewhere now.)

Schmidt obviously played about 2 years too many. By 1989 he was finished and knew it and retired for the benefit of his team.

So it wasn't midseason. It was about a quarter of the season. And it wasn't so much quitting on his team as it was retiring for the good of the team when it was obvious he could no longer play adequately. 

I'd forgotten about the circumstances that led to Schmidt's sudden retirement.  I do remember, though, how he was so broken up at the press conference when he retired.  Few players want to face that time, especially the great ones who still think they can compete with the best.  I can't imagine what it must have taken for him to be in front of those people, and the cameras, and tell the baseball world that he was through after all those years of being front and center.
College World series Final tonight- Bednar vs. Rocker

Bednar attended a neighboring high school. I saw both he and his brother pitch a few times when they were in school. They were both big kids who could throw hard and I thought their strength might get them a chance to at least be drafted. It’s great to see them both doing so well . They’re both good kids from a good family.
WildwoodDave2

The other games

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

015741555A40505B564173545E525A5F1D50330 wrote: Mike Schmidt?

He was 39 and in his 18th season. He was coming off the worst season of his career that ended in August with rotator cuff surgery. He tried to come back for another season but it was clear he had nothing left. After a career of being one of MLB's best, he had become a 39 year old liability to his team hitting .203 with more errors (8) than HRs (6) after 42 games. The Phillies were out west on a road trip that began May 23rd and went from LA to SF to SD. After a costly error in the last game of the SF series Schmidt realized that he was hurting the team and announced his retirement when they got to SD on May 29. He was hitting .088 (5 singles in 57 ABs) over his previous 18 games. It was probably a relief to the Phillies who realized he just couldn't play anymore but would not have wanted to bench their legendary star.

Three weeks later the Phillies solved their 3B problem by acquiring Charlie Hayes from SF. Hayes was an upgrade both offensively and defensively over the 39 year old Schmidt. (I believe I heard he has a kid playing somewhere now.)

Schmidt obviously played about 2 years too many. By 1989 he was finished and knew it and retired for the benefit of his team.

So it wasn't midseason. It was about a quarter of the season. And it wasn't so much quitting on his team as it was retiring for the good of the team when it was obvious he could no longer play adequately. 

I'd forgotten about the circumstances that led to Schmidt's sudden retirement.  I do remember, though, how he was so broken up at the press conference when he retired.  Few players want to face that time, especially the great ones who still think they can compete with the best.  I can't imagine what it must have taken for him to be in front of those people, and the cameras, and tell the baseball world that he was through after all those years of being front and center.

Bednar attended a neighboring high school.  I saw both he and his brother pitch a few times when they were in school.  They were both big kids who could throw hard and I thought their strength might get them a chance to at least be drafted.  It’s great to see them both doing so well .  They’re both good kids from a good family.

nice to hear- I think Rocker's stock might drop after tonight. Vandy is down 5-0
GreenWeenie

The other games

Post by GreenWeenie »

I think Rocker's stock might drop after tonight. Vandy is down 5-0

----------------

If it sinks any lower, he'll wind up in Wildwood- across from the junkyard. ;))
2drfischer@gmail.c

The other games

36080D05160E0E052500170453610 wrote: Mike Schmidt?

Bednar attended a neighboring high school.  I saw both he and his brother pitch a few times when they were in school.  They were both big kids who could throw hard and I thought their strength might get them a chance to at least be drafted.  It’s great to see them both doing so well .  They’re both good kids from a good family.

nice to hear- I think Rocker's stock might drop after tonight. Vandy is down 5-0

The younger Bednar came through in a big way for his team last night. I read where he's in the top 35 for the upcoming draft. I wonder if the Pirates, if given the chance, would take him with their second pick?
2drfischer@gmail.c

The other games

Quite the performances by offenses around MLB yesterday. Over 200 runs were scored, including 20 by the Braves. Two teams overcame 7-run deficits. The Bucs did all they could by putting up two runs.
Bobster21

The other games

Post by Bobster21 »

3264726669736368657240676D61696C2E63000 wrote: Quite the performances by offenses around MLB yesterday.  Over 200 runs were scored, including 20 by the Braves.  Two teams overcame 7-run deficits.  The Bucs did all they could by putting up two runs. 
Coors Field must be a very tough park to score runs in. The Pirates were shut out in 26 of 27 innings. ::)
WildwoodDave2

The other games

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

4B7E6969625B69696265690C0 wrote: I think Rocker's stock might drop after tonight. Vandy is down 5-0

----------------

If it sinks any lower, he'll wind up in Wildwood- across from the junkyard.  ;))
Speaking of that, I spotted a discarded sofa on the curb. I can ask them to save it for you.
GreenWeenie

The other games

Post by GreenWeenie »

654845545342551516270 wrote: Quite the performances by offenses around MLB yesterday.  Over 200 runs were scored, including 20 by the Braves.  Two teams overcame 7-run deficits.  The Bucs did all they could by putting up two runs. 
Coors Field must be a very tough park to score runs in. The Pirates were shut out in 26 of 27 innings.  ::)

Well, if OUR sluggers can't score there, how can we expect anyone else to?
GreenWeenie

The other games

Post by GreenWeenie »

[edit][/edit]427C7971627A7A715174637027150 wrote: I think Rocker's stock might drop after tonight. Vandy is down 5-0

----------------

If it sinks any lower, he'll wind up in Wildwood- across from the junkyard.  ;))
Speaking of that, I spotted a discarded sofa on the curb. I can ask them to save it for you.

Please do! I need something for YOU to sit on while we talk all about Mike Schmidt. ;)
2drfischer@gmail.c

The other games

1A373A2B2C3D2A6A69580 wrote: Quite the performances by offenses around MLB yesterday.  Over 200 runs were scored, including 20 by the Braves.  Two teams overcame 7-run deficits.  The Bucs did all they could by putting up two runs. 
Coors Field must be a very tough park to score runs in. The Pirates were shut out in 26 of 27 innings.  ::)

In the history of Coors Field, I wonder if so few runs were scored in a three games series before? Or even a two game series?