Musgrove has a no no through 8

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Pirates have to face both Williams and Musgrove in the coming days.

I'm sure those games will go well.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

BC just upped the ante on NH for most questionable Pirate trade
steve49

Post by steve49 »

7B5D5A4F464A5D4B43280 wrote: BC just upped the ante on NH for most questionable Pirate trade

This team is really a bad joke. Horrible trades , little bitty payroll and terrible player development .
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

5A5D4C5F4C1D10290 wrote: Musgrove has been lights out so far for SD

Imagine a rotation of Cole, Glasnow, Morton, Musgrove

You need to add Tallion and delete Musgrave as he came over in the Cole trade.

True

I fully expect Taillon to have a break out season with NY

I hope those Padre prospects and Yankee prospects pan out

I can’t digest another Glasgow trade
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I was just reading that the Padres catcher Victor Caratini has caught the last two no hitters. The previous was last September with the Cubs and Alec Mills no hitter. He's the 11th catcher to catch consecutive no hitters but first with two different teams
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Way to go Joe!   And I mean that.  He’s a good guy and was a good Pirate.  I can’t imagine what that must have been like for him last night, being back home. 

Regarding the Pirates....this organization is just a wreck.  The one thing that every Pirate prospect must pray for is a trade to any other organization.  It’s bad enough that we have to move EVERY player that has any talent at all, but when was the last time the Pirates made a significant trade for the organization?  Our best talent never (NEVER) yields a return that is equal in value.  Joe Musgrove was actually one of the better players we received in a trade.   Otherwise, the only constant is that every trade equals money in Nutting’s pocket. 

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

It's been said that one has to hit bottom before beginning the rise upward. Have we hit bottom yet? If not, what more torment are we in for?
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

653325313E24343F322517303A363E3B7934570 wrote: It's been said that one has to hit bottom before beginning the rise upward.  Have we hit bottom yet?  If not, what more torment are we in for?
Archer pitching a great game today starting for Tampa and Williams shutting us out tomorrow with Morton and Taillon going lights out this weekend. The whole cast is pitching. Glasnow went 6IP 1ER last start which was just recent. I hear Cole is havibg some success too.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Taillon 4.2 IP 2 ER 3H 7K 0 BB. Touched by 2 long balls
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Pitching for another team has to be a shot in the arm for a pitcher coming from the Pirates. A Pirate pitcher takes the mound knowing there is little chance of winning. His team is weaker. They won't hit, field, run, coach or manage well. Giving up just 1 or 2 runs can lose the game. They nibble because they can't afford any mistakes over the plate. And even with a strong pitching effort, the starter will be lifted at or near 100 pitches while the game is turned over to relievers who might not even make other teams.

When they leave the Pirates, they take the mound confident that if they pitch well they can and should win the game. Musgrove started that game on a 4-3 team and the 3 losses were by a combined total of 4 runs. And the Padres gave him a 3-0 lead after 3 innings. And after 8 innings he had thrown 103 pitches but his manager let him finish anyway.

Pitching for the Pirates has to be a very different experience with a different mindset. Mitch Keller starts today for the 1-6 Pirates. They lost the last 3 by a combined total of 22 runs.

But it's not just a different mindset that effects pitchers after they leave the Pirates. MLB history shows many good, even great pitchers take 4-5 years before reaching their full potential. Last year was Musgrove's 5th year and despite a 1-5 record he improved to a career best 3.86 ERA. He now says that was a big year for him in terms of refining his mechanics. And now with 5 years of experience behind him and a better environment in which to toil he looks like he's reaching a new level. The MLB free agency lets players walk after 6 years. That's when most pitchers are just reaching their ceiling. Since the Pirates can't or won't re-sign them, they have to trade them in year 4 or 5 to get something for them. Just in time to see them mature with their new team into the pitcher the Pirates hoped they would be for them.