Now I think there's almost no way ......

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

NewMexicoLobo

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

All of the words, actions, inactions, promises, lies, and general bad faith are the things that happen when your sport has a commissioner who is beholden to 30 powerful, disingenuous bastards; when your sport has a union leader beholden to 38 greed-trumps-all players who don't necessarily represent the rank-and-file; and when you've never had a formalized salary structure.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

It appears today maybe the final last effort to attempt to resolve the issues between the owners and players. I have read there is a scheduled time for the players to vote on the owners proposal. Also there has been some contact between Manfred and Tony Clark to further discuss the proposal. If the players reject the proposal I guess Manfred will inform the union of the total amount of games, or he could cancel the season. If he proposes a certain amount of games , the players will file a grievance. I can hardly wait until the collective bargaining agreement is up after the 2021 season, it is going to be very ugly
ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

players vote

NO
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I am at the point in which I wish Manfred would just call off the season. These negotiations have been a roller coaster ride. Sometimes you think there will be an agreement, and then it doesn’t happen. If they cancel the season, then you could just wait until ST begins in February.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

353938636A636B66617E64530 wrote: I am at the point in which I wish Manfred would just call off the season. These negotiations have been a roller coaster ride. Sometimes you think there will be an agreement, and then it doesn’t happen. If they cancel the season, then you could just wait until ST begins in February.

I don't really care if they play this season or not. If they do play I will follow the team, if they don't I'll do something else.

When I was very young I used to worry or get upset if a television show was cancelled. I now know that means nothing. I basically quit watching college basketball when I got married and don't feel a big gap in my life because of it.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

644243544252210 wrote: I am at the point in which I wish Manfred would just call off the season. These negotiations have been a roller coaster ride. Sometimes you think there will be an agreement, and then it doesn’t happen. If they cancel the season, then you could just wait until ST begins in February.

I don't really care if they play this season or not.  If they do play I will follow the team, if they don't I'll do something else.

When I was very young I used to worry or get upset if a television show was cancelled.  I now know that means nothing. I basically quit watching college basketball when I got married and don't feel a big gap in my life because of it.
I think a lot of people feel this way now. Both players and owners have a great deal to lose if fan interest is lost moving forward. It's in the interest of both to reach an agreement and play so that they remain the focus of fan interest instead of their fans simply getting used to life without them. But the combination of greed and stupidity could be their undoing.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

It's not a matter of stupidity and greed alone. It's also a matter of health. And, I'm perfectly willing to allow someone to make their personal decision on what risks they're willing to assume with their own.

My YMCA's been open for 22 days. I've gone to ask quesions and look at what steps they've taken to minimize risks associated with the virus, but you can't possibly pay me enough to spend 20 minutes in the locker room with other people right now- and, I'm not a multi-millionaire who has the type of options that many of the players and coaches do.

I won't spend 20 minutes inside with others. Those guys spend a lot more than 20 minutes together.

And, some of those coaches are older than I am.

To limit this to things like "stupidity" and "greed" doesn't seem like the entire picture to me.

What sounds stupid to me is playing any games at all, let alone whatever number's being talked about. This season should have been cancelled long ago, IMO.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

063324242F1624242F2824410 wrote: It's not a matter of stupidity and greed alone.  It's also a matter of health.  And, I'm perfectly willing to allow someone to make their personal decision on what risks they're willing to assume with their own.

My YMCA's been open for 22 days.  I've gone to ask quesions and look at what steps they've taken to minimize risks associated with the virus, but you can't possibly pay me enough to spend 20 minutes in the locker room with other people right now- and, I'm not a multi-millionaire who has the type of options that many of the players and coaches do.

I won't spend 20 minutes inside with others.  Those guys spend a lot more than 20 minutes together.

To limit this to things like "stupidity" and "greed" doesn't seem like the entire picture to me. 

What sounds stupid to me is playing any games at all, let alone whatever number's being talked about.  This season should have been cancelled long ago, IMO.

unless they let teams play with people who have tested positive the season is going to be cancelled. How can you have a limited season of 60 games and then have even a couple teams have 5 or 6 players test positive. Those players are out for 2 weeks. How can that be handled fairly?

I hate to say that I agree with this. I think the NFL and college football are going to have problems early on. There have been too many positive results in sports and there will be more once they start training together.

Are they going to be able to test everybody every day? I doubt that is going to happen. Look at all the college football players that have tested positive. And that is with most schools not testing players yet.

Maybe the decision will be made that life must go on until there is a vacine and we just need to live with x number of more deaths. That seems pretty heartless to me.
NJBucsFan

Post by NJBucsFan »

163031263020530 wrote: It's not a matter of stupidity and greed alone.  It's also a matter of health.  And, I'm perfectly willing to allow someone to make their personal decision on what risks they're willing to assume with their own.

My YMCA's been open for 22 days.  I've gone to ask quesions and look at what steps they've taken to minimize risks associated with the virus, but you can't possibly pay me enough to spend 20 minutes in the locker room with other people right now- and, I'm not a multi-millionaire who has the type of options that many of the players and coaches do.

I won't spend 20 minutes inside with others.  Those guys spend a lot more than 20 minutes together.

What sounds stupid to me is playing any games at all, let alone whatever number's being talked about.  This season should have been cancelled long ago, IMO.

unless they let teams play with people who have tested positive the season is going to be cancelled.  How can you have a limited season of 60 games and then have even a couple teams have 5 or 6 players test positive.  Those players are out for 2 weeks.  How can that be handled fairly?

I hate to say that I agree with this.  I think the NFL and college football are going to have problems early on.  There have been too many positive results in sports and there will be more once they start training together. 

Are they going to be able to test everybody every day?  I doubt that is going to happen.  Look at all the college football players that have tested positive.  And that is with most schools not testing players yet.

Maybe the decision will be made that life must go on until there is a vacine and we just need to live with x number of more deaths.  That seems pretty heartless to me.
Not to make this a Covid thread, but one thing folks don't address much is that this is a virus. There may be a vaccine, and there may not.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

One of the tough aspects of this virus thing is that people can test negative for having it, feel fine, but unknowingly carry it, and pass it to others. 

There isn't an MLB player alive (or football player, basketball player, hockey player, etc.) that I'd be willing to go up against, even if I was able.  I'll send Doc's Aunt Edna out there for me.

And, seeing as how Alex Morgan's married, there isn't a soccer player, either  ;)

I'm wrong more often than correct on these types of things, but my gut tells me we're waiting for the vaccine to become widely available before we get back to within reasonable proximity of what things were pre-pandemic.