Rumor Pirates and Yankees

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Can you imagine BOB paying the guy to keep him?

Or, any guy?
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

0B3E2929221B29292225294C0 wrote: Can you imagine BOB paying the guy to keep him?

Or, any guy?

the plan is starting to take shape. Trade Bell and Taillon, reduce payroll by about 6 million. Assume covid will give the team a pass for not trying to improve in 2021. Get prospects that might be ready in 2023 or 2024.

Let Will Craig play first this season.

Get first pick in draft again in 2022.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

The payroll reduction part's about all that's taking shape.

Pretty soon, it'll be like ST Fantasy- guys will have to pay BOB so they can play.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Josh Bell had a negative 0.7 WAR last season. He's a career 2.4 WAR player, most of that coming from one incredible 3 months stretch in 2019.

He's been at or below replacement level every single season of his career save one.

I know if he's traded, a couple people will miss his salary. He's a nice guy, but as far as baseball player goes, he won't be missed. If he stays a Pirate, awesome. But if he goes, despite all the gnashing of teeth about "salary dump" he won't be missed one lick.

Moran is a better player right now, and probably will be for the rest of their careers. They are the same exact age, only 2 months apart.

Which player looks to you to be ready to break down physically?

With no DH, the Pirates have to make a choice. If you're a baseball fan, you understand this. It makes no sense to have both Moran and Bell. Even if they were a contender, one of them would have to go absent the DH.

So quit with the salary dump stuff already. Personally, I'd like to see someone there better than either Moran or Bell. And judging by their career stats, it really won't take much, regardless of what they get paid.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Cherington had experience with real teams like Boston and Toronto. I don't believe he took this job with the intention of crawling into a cocoon. I suspect he was fed a load of BS by Nutting about building the Pirates into a winner and now realizes his only task is to help Nutting reduce payroll. I think he gets a pass last year with his late hire and the Covid but this is his 2nd off season and he probably expected to get busy this year. But now he's probably wondering what he got himself into and how soon he can leave.

Neal Huntington came to the Pirates after a series of assistant positions with Montreal and Cleveland. Getting an actual MLB GM job was a big step up for him. Cherington had already been a GM for a major market team in Boston and VP of baseball operations in Toronto. I can't believe he coveted the GM job in Pittsburgh unless he saw it as a legit challenge to build up a bad team. Instead, he's firmly entrenched in a cocoon while most of the rest of MLB makes moves. I can't believe this was what he envisioned when he took the job.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

193F382D24283F29214A0 wrote: Josh Bell had a negative 0.7 WAR last season. He's a career 2.4 WAR player, most of that coming from one incredible 3 months stretch in 2019.

He's been at or below replacement level every single season of his career save one.

I know if he's traded, a couple people will miss his salary. He's a nice guy, but as far as baseball player goes, he won't be missed. If he stays a Pirate, awesome. But if he goes, despite all the gnashing of teeth about "salary dump" he won't be missed one lick.

Moran is a better player right now, and probably will be for the rest of their careers. They are the same exact age, only 2 months apart.

With no DH, the Pirates have to make a choice. If you're a baseball fan, you understand this. It makes no sense to have both Moran and Bell. Even if they were a contender, one of them would have to go absent the DH.

So quit with the salary dump stuff already. Personally, I'd like to see someone there better than either Moran or Bell. And judging by their career stats, it really won't take much, regardless of what they get paid.

Surg, Surg, Surg,

Take names off the table.  I dont care if we

keep Bell or deal him. 

The issue with the "dump" aspect has only to do with the money goes to BOB rather than to some other player who is better than Bell.

BOB doesn't help us win.

A better player might.

I dont want to hear a word about saving the money for some future that hasn't been in The Burgh for more than 40 years.
shedman

Post by shedman »

14323520292532242C470 wrote: Josh Bell had a negative 0.7 WAR last season. He's a career 2.4 WAR player, most of that coming from one incredible 3 months stretch in 2019.

_

So, if he had kept Marte it would have been good, but since he dumped him, it was good. If he keeps Bell - good, if he dumps Bell- good. If he keeps Taillon - good, but if he dumps Taillon - good. I can't tell you how much I wish I had a boss like you over the years. Everything I did would be good.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

As usual, you and GW put words in people's mouths.

Keep him-good: I'm a Pirates fan, and I cheer for whoever is on the team. The name on the front of the jersey, if you and GW can actually grasp the concept.

GW completely misses the point, but that's no surprise either. You two are so into salary, you can't see the forest for the trees.

The players they have are not that good. How many times do I have to say it-There isn't a single player on the Pirates that will bring back any form of decent return unless BC finds a hidden gem.

As far as Marte, that's another discussion all together, but once again, I talk baseball, you talk nonsense. Marte was thoroughly BLISTERED on message boards day in and day out, but once a guy nobody wanted gets traded, it's dump day, apologism, etc.

Like I said, you guys are so wrapped up in your schtick, you can't even pay attention long enough. Go to bed earlier, drink some coffee, something. Try keeping up instead of throwing out the same tired nonsense.
shedman

Post by shedman »

4D6B6C79707C6B7D751E0 wrote: As usual, you and GW put words in people's mouths.

Keep him-good:  I'm a Pirates fan, and I cheer for whoever is on the team. The name on the front of the jersey, if you and GW can actually grasp the concept.

GW completely misses the point, but that's no surprise either. You two are so into salary, you can't see the forest for the trees.

The players they have are not that good. How many times do I have to say it-There isn't a single player on the Pirates that will bring back any form of decent return unless BC finds a hidden gem.

As far as Marte, that's another discussion all together, but once again, I talk baseball, you talk nonsense. Marte was thoroughly BLISTERED on message boards day in and day out, but once a guy nobody wanted gets traded, it's dump day, apologism, etc.

Like I said, you guys are so wrapped up in your schtick, you can't even pay attention long enough. Go to bed earlier, drink some coffee, something. Try keeping up instead of throwing out the same tired nonsense.
________

Is there anything at all that Cherington could do that you wouldn't say it was a good move. If Cherington DFA'd Kebrian Hayes would you say that was good too?
BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

48696148636B0C0 wrote: The Yankees are so loaded not just with hitters but with pitchers as well.  If BC dumps these two guys it will be nothing more than a salary dump. 

100% true. I highly doubt teams are lining up to trade for those two, and they are at the bottom of their value.

Frazier might have a market, but again, trading at low value. Risk of course they keep sucking and you get nothing, but probably worth it when you are most likely going to get nothing but salary relief in the long run anyways.

Musgrove is different, he is oft injured and is coming of a good year.