Bucs vs Brew Crew 8/25 . . .

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6C4851464B504653270 wrote: No, the point is to acquire major league ball players to compete against the other teams major league ball players and let the minor league ball players play in the minor leagues.
The point of the MINOR leagues is to develop players who will succeed in the MAJOR leagues. Just about every successful major league player in history started out as a minor leaguer and struggled initially in the majors. I wish the Pirates didn't have a cheap owner but they do. They aren't going to scour MLB for the best free agents and sign them to fill every hole. Or trade for the best, most expensive players. And chances are, some of their minor leaguers will turn out to be fine major leaguers. Those major leaguers you want the Pirates to obtain started out as minor leaguers and probably struggled in their first MLB games. No GM in MLB gives up on a prospect after 16 ABs. All we know about Newman so far is that he was good enough to be a 1st rd pick and hit .283 in AAA last year and .302 in AAA this year. But he hasn't set the world on fire in 16 MLB ABs so you say it's time to move on. Good grief. Put down the pipe.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4-hit game for Moran!
Kovalwat

Post by Kovalwat »

"I wish the Pirates didn't have a cheap owner but ...." but nothing. These selfish greedy stinking cheapskates running this team care only about enriching themselves at the expense of Pirate fans. How much money does 1 man need anyway. Nutting already has enough money to last his lifetime, his childrens lifetimes and his childrens childrens lifetimes.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

This win would have felt a LOT better if the Pirates were winning 2 in a row and taking the series tonight ... which they SHOULD have been doing if they were anyone other the hapless Pirates.

Last night's inexusable loss frustrates me 10 times more than tonight's game makes me happy.

I wish it wasn't that way. But that's the way it is.

It also frustrates me when this team goes about 2 weeks without scoring a run ... and then we score 15 in two games.

WHERE WERE ANY OF THESE RUNS WHEN WE ACTUALLY NEEDED THEM????
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Of the Pirates last 6 losses, 5 of them have been:

1-0

1-0

1-0

2-1

7-6 (giving up 3 runs in the 15th)

A sorry team like the Pirates simply cannot survive that type of stretch. What a killer.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

This is why the Pirates make me lose sleep at night.

If the Pirates had just done the following, right now they'd be 69-61 and 2.5 games out of the WC spot.

* Win the game SF that they didn't try to win.

* Just win 1 game in Minnesota

* Just win one of the 1-0 games vs. the Cubs

* Don't get swept at home by the Braves

* Throw strikes and strike the pitcher out last night in the 15th

That's not asking much at all. That is a VERY LOW bar. Almost any competent team could have done those 5 things. The Pirates are not competent team.

As a result, instead of 69-61 and 2.5 out ... we're 64-66 and 7.5 out.

Drives me nuts ...
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

More Pirates futility ...

The Braves came into PNC and swept the Pirates in embarrassing fashion.

But in the series immediately before and immediately after the Pirates series, the Braves are 1-6.
RichD

Post by RichD »

Thank god I have the Steelers ;D
PMike

Post by PMike »

5D707D6C6B7A6D2D2E1F0 wrote: How many more at bats will we waste on  Newman before we get a major leaguer in there to play SS.
You're so right. If a 1st rd draft pick isn't hitting .300 by his 16th MLB AB, he should be cut.  ::) I can't believe how stupid the Angels were with Mike Trout. He was 7 for his first 43 MLB ABs (.163) and yet they kept him. Unbelievable!  Why can't GMs be as smart as you?! 

---

Kevin Trout Newman.  Lets just keep running him out there and losing year after year hoping that he turns into Mike Trout.

The point ISN'T that Newman will become another Trout. The point is it's ludicrous to want to give up on a 1st round pick after his first 16 ABs. Are you drunk?

This is one of my favorite posts in quite awhile!