Daniel Nava a Buc

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

PMike

Daniel Nava a Buc

Post by PMike »

0F2D3E232025222D0E392F2F234C0 wrote: I still consider this to be a roster with only two REAL outfielders, and one of the two (Polanco) is always hurt and oh by the way is terrible at outfielding.

So we have Marte (who has is own huge question marks and baggage), one corner OF who is bad defensively ... and 3 guys (Frazier, Luplow and Nava) who are "sort-of" outfielders.

Gotta love the Pirates ...

How on earth are Luplow and Nava "sort-of" outfielders? Other than about 90 games, Luplow has played outfield his entire career. Nava has played almost 1,000 games in the outfield. So you are mad about them not getting another outfielder last year and going with Frazier (who by all measures, acquitted himself quite well)? What are your qualifications for a "real" outfielder?
SyrBucco

Daniel Nava a Buc

Post by SyrBucco »

0F1236343A5F0 wrote: I still consider this to be a roster with only two REAL outfielders, and one of the two (Polanco) is always hurt and oh by the way is terrible at outfielding.

So we have Marte (who has is own huge question marks and baggage), one corner OF who is bad defensively ... and 3 guys (Frazier, Luplow and Nava) who are "sort-of" outfielders.

Gotta love the Pirates ...

How on earth are Luplow and Nava "sort-of" outfielders?  Other than about 90 games, Luplow has played outfield his entire career.  Nava has played almost 1,000 games in the outfield.  So you are mad about them not getting another outfielder last year and going with Frazier (who by all measures, acquitted himself quite well)?  What are your qualifications for a "real" outfielder?
Good take, PMike. Before they traded Cutch, I said that the Bucs didn't need a 4th OF, all they needed to do was open their eyes and see Frazier. I still think he's the best choice currently on roster for LF, but let's face it, he doesn't have the power we'd like.

Fortunately, we need a top of the order guy, and Frazier should succeed with that. If he doesn't now we have a Nava-Luplow platoon to fall back on. What pleases me most about Nava is that he's cheap enough that we shouldn't be compelled to play him ahead of Frazier.

I just hope they don't give Harrison away and put Frazier at 2B, making Nava the starter. As things stand, Moroff looks like the odd man out on the 25-man. Wouldn't bother me a bit if we traded Freese or Rodriguez to make room for Moroff.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Daniel Nava a Buc

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Luplow and Nava are both right handed. So is Osuna. Is Osuna still in the picture? Rodriguez is right handed too. It is very hard to platoon a bunch of righties. It will be based on Hurdle's gut feeling (ugh).

This is why I want Harrison traded. This will get Frazier in the every day line up as he should play 2B if that happens. I would also seek a young, major league ready outfielder in return for Harrison.

I do like Luplow and think he should be the front runner in LF. Like others have pointed out, he doesn't have much time above Double A. Big question mark on him. I do think Luplow can play defense in the outfield and is considered an outfielder.
Bobster21

Daniel Nava a Buc

Post by Bobster21 »

5D565E5257564D080E794058515656175A56390 wrote: Luplow and Nava are both right handed.  So is Osuna.  Is Osuna still in the picture?  Rodriguez is right handed too.  It is very hard to platoon a bunch of righties.  It will be based on Hurdle's gut feeling (ugh).

This is why I want Harrison traded.  This will get Frazier in the every day line up as he should play 2B if that happens.  I would also seek a young, major league ready outfielder in return for Harrison. 

I do like Luplow and think he should be the front runner in LF.  Like others have pointed out, he doesn't have much time above Double A.  Big question mark on him.  I do think Luplow can play defense in the outfield and is considered an outfielder. 

Nava is a switch hitter. Technically anyway. Career .281 RH, .211 LH.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Daniel Nava a Buc

5B767B6A6D7C6B2B28190 wrote: Luplow and Nava are both right handed.  So is Osuna.  Is Osuna still in the picture?  Rodriguez is right handed too.  It is very hard to platoon a bunch of righties.  It will be based on Hurdle's gut feeling (ugh).

This is why I want Harrison traded.  This will get Frazier in the every day line up as he should play 2B if that happens.  I would also seek a young, major league ready outfielder in return for Harrison. 

I do like Luplow and think he should be the front runner in LF.  Like others have pointed out, he doesn't have much time above Double A.  Big question mark on him.  I do think Luplow can play defense in the outfield and is considered an outfielder. 

Nava is a switch hitter. Technically anyway. Career .281 RH, .211 LH.

Then a platoon might happen. Ugh. I just feel if he makes the team that means someone else struggled to earn a spot.
SammyKhalifa

Daniel Nava a Buc

Post by SammyKhalifa »

oops, i thought he played some CF
MaineBucs

Daniel Nava a Buc

Post by MaineBucs »

I have no concerns with signing Nava to a minor league deal. He is a potential reserve/platoon corner outfielder and the team has not real commitments to him.

I also would like to see Luplow, Meadows and Osuna get more at bats at AAA, with the hope that at least one of the above is ready to take a larger role come mid-summer or when Polanco goes down with the proverbial injured hamstring (oops, that means one of the above must be ready to go come mid-April).

My only concern with Nava is that he cannot play CF. The team needs someone else who can step into center other than Marte. Polanco is really not an option and I similarly don't view either Frazier, Harrison or Rodriguez as options. Bucs need to find someone who is the equivalent of Nava who can cover any of the outfield positions.

With the Mets signing of Frazier, perhaps the Bucs can interest the Yankees in Freese for a lower level prospect with some promise. I like Freese, but having both he and Rodriguez on the roster is one to many veterans on a team that should be retooling. With Rodriguez still trying to come back from the injuries he suffered, Freese likely has more trade value and is the better candidate to go. I also prefer to keep Moroff on the roster over either Freese or Rodriguez and to use him as a semi-regular starter (assuming that Harrison is not traded) and back-up SS. Moroff seems to have some popl
Bobster21

Daniel Nava a Buc

Post by Bobster21 »

Hurdle has used Rodriguez in CF a handful of games and seems to want to play him as much as possible. I suspect he's the 4th OFer and will occasionally spell Marte in CF.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Daniel Nava a Buc

557875646372652526170 wrote: Hurdle has used Rodriguez in CF a handful of games and seems to want to play him as much as possible. I suspect he's the 4th OFer and will occasionally spell Marte in CF.

Agreed. If Marte goes down for some time, CF will be a question mark.

I like Moroff, but Rodriguez can play SS too.
Bobster21

Daniel Nava a Buc

Post by Bobster21 »

I attended the final 2 games of the season in Washington and Moroff put on quite a show! 3 for 5, 2B, 3B, 7 RBIs, 4 walks.