Deal with Tribe

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

notes34

Deal with Tribe

Post by notes34 »

I think we should get used to seeing Reyes/Osuna/Frazier split time in RF. Is it possible that the FO thinks Kang can play 2B?
SammyKhalifa

Deal with Tribe

Post by SammyKhalifa »

0F0E1504125255610 wrote: I think we should get used to seeing Reyes/Osuna/Frazier split time in RF. Is it possible that the FO thinks Kang can play 2B?
I think they think he's a third baseman only now.
Aaron

Deal with Tribe

Post by Aaron »

684E4F584E5E2D0 wrote: Guess that means Frazier to right?

Could be, I can see Gonzalez getting a shot at either second or short. 

Was surprised to see Luplow go as I thought he would at least be the  4th outfielder in 2019. 

This move makes me think the Bucs are going to be busy this winter.

Interesting.

I got the totally opposite impression. I think this signifies that we're going to hear a lot of excuse making and talking in circles from NH and very little activity. You know:

"We're in a great position as we really love our core and don't feel we HAVE to do anything."

"We do have some financial flexibility, but we're a small market club and we have to keep those market challenges in mind."

"We're always looking to improve the club and if there's something that makes sense, we'll explore that."

What about this deal made you think the opposite?
Ecbucs

Deal with Tribe

Post by Ecbucs »

18382B3637590 wrote: Guess that means Frazier to right?

Was surprised to see Luplow go as I thought he would at least be the  4th outfielder in 2019. 

Interesting.

I got the totally opposite impression. I think this signifies that we're going to hear a lot of excuse making and talking in circles from NH and very little activity. You know:

"We're in a great position as we really love our core and don't feel we HAVE to do anything."

"We do have some financial flexibility, but we're a small market club and we have to keep those market challenges in mind."

"We're always looking to improve the club and if there's something that makes sense, we'll explore that."

I think they have a huge hole in outfield to fill as well as bullpen.  Going with unproven players in those spots as well as at short is a recipe for disaster.  I don't think NH will risk it.  If he does we will be looking back at 2018 as a great a year as the Reds look at the Bucs through the rearview mirror. I don't think they will sign Hecheveria or Igleses and sell fans that they made a big move.
OrlandoMerced

Deal with Tribe

Post by OrlandoMerced »

For one, the deal clears a spot on the 40-man. It erases the possibility that both Newman and Kramer make the OD roster.

I think bringing in Gonzales eliminates the need to go and sign someone like Heccevarria or Iglesias. He could easily replicate Mercer's production at the plate and provide better defense.

I'm guessing that they have some level of comfort in Reyes at RF and Frazier at 2B. I think we will definitely see them actively pursuing RF upgrades, but there definitely exists the possibility that they settle on in house options.
Aaron

Deal with Tribe

Post by Aaron »

517776617767140 wrote: Guess that means Frazier to right?

Interesting.

I think they have a huge hole in outfield to fill as well as bullpen.  Going with unproven players in those spots as well as at short is a recipe for disaster.  I don't think NH will risk it.  If he does we will be looking back at 2018 as a great a year as the Reds look at the Bucs through the rearview mirror.  I don't think they will sign Hecheveria or Igleses and sell fans that they made a big move.

Just so I understand what you're saying. That perhaps the loss of Luplow, who could have filled in for Polanco, is a sign that an upgrade is coming for the OF.

If that's what you mean, it's possible. But I see it differently. I'm thinking that they see Gonzales as worthy of playing time and that with Frazier's positional flexibility, they could be seeing him as an OF option, when Gonzales starts in the infield.

That way they don't really have to do much for the OF, other than a part time/bench bat for the OF. I think they're going to want Newman to get a decent shot at being the fulltime SS. Gonzales could back him up, while playing some 2B, with Frazier getting some time in RF and 2B.

My take is Gonzales is a cheap option that prevents them from having to do much. I imagine they don't feel Polanco will be out that long and they're not going to spend much to fill in while he's recovering.

As far as NH being worried about being left in the rear view mirror? If that doesn't bother Nutting, it certainly won't bother NH. He has job security.
Ecbucs

Deal with Tribe

Post by Ecbucs »

48687B6667090 wrote: Guess that means Frazier to right?

Interesting.

I think they have a huge hole in outfield to fill as well as bullpen.  Going with unproven players in those spots as well as at short is a recipe for disaster.  I don't think NH will risk it.  If he does we will be looking back at 2018 as a great a year as the Reds look at the Bucs through the rearview mirror.  I don't think they will sign Hecheveria or Igleses and sell fans that they made a big move.

Just so I understand what you're saying. That perhaps the loss of Luplow, who could have filled in for Polanco, is a sign that an upgrade is coming for the OF.

If that's what you mean, it's possible. But I see it differently. I'm thinking that they see Gonzales as worthy of playing time and that with Frazier's positional flexibility, they could be seeing him as an OF option, when Gonzales starts in the infield.

That way they don't really have to do much for the OF, other than a part time/bench bat for the OF. I think they're going to want Newman to get a decent shot at being the fulltime SS. Gonzales could back him up, while playing some 2B, with Frazier getting some time in RF and 2B.

My take is Gonzales is a cheap option that prevents them from having to do much. I imagine they don't feel Polanco will be out that long and they're not going to spend much to fill in while he's recovering.

As far as NH being worried about being left in the rear view mirror? If that doesn't bother Nutting, it certainly won't bother NH. He has job security.

you could be right. I don't think Gonzales is good enough to count on as a starter. I do think dealing Luplow means that they want to get somebody they think is better than him in the outfield. Frazier probably is expected to get major playing time either at second or the outfield, I hope it is at second. His bat isn't good enough to be a regular outfielder IMO.
mouse

Deal with Tribe

Post by mouse »

:) And I was taking that trade as a sign they wanted to upgrade their defense.
CarolinaBucco

Deal with Tribe

Post by CarolinaBucco »

To me this looks like the first steps toward doing nothing and saying "we feel good about our internal options" the rest of the offseason. Which terrifies me.

They need to go out and get a legitimate (LH) bat for RF to hold down the fort until Polanco returns. Not a Reyes-Osuna-Frazier patchwork solution.

They need to sign a REAL MLB SS along the lines of Hechavarria. Not a Gonzalez-Newman patchwork solution.

They need to get another REAL STARTING PITCHER, preferably a LH. Not a "we feel good about our starting pitching depth" approach. They should not feel confident.

But I'm afraid none of those 3 things are going to unfold the way I would like them to.

The Pirates will take the easy way out. They'll settle, and they'll "feel really good about our internal options."
Quail

Deal with Tribe

Post by Quail »

6747544948260 wrote: Guess that means Frazier to right?

Interesting.

This is pretty much what I see as the Pirates typical operating procedure. With this deal the Pirates have their middle infield insurance at a pre-arb eligible price, which will be cheaper than any of the (even bargain-basement) free agents would have been. NH can then begin spinning how the in-house versatility of players like Frazier and Reyes allow them the flexibility to cover Polanco's spot until his return without having to look elsewhere. The recent Archer deal does give me some hope that perhaps their approach is changing, but I can't help but view this deal through the prism of this team's years of penny-pinching predictability.