Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Day Game--Daniel Hudson starting for the Dodgers

Post by Bobster21 »

6 consecutive losing series.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Very disappointing the Pirates couldn’t win this game today with Taillon pitching and the Dodgers pretty much using their entire bullpen to try and win this game. The Pirates are now 5-14 in the last 3 weeks and have now lost 6 straight series. I have a bad feeling with as good as the Cubs are playing now that today with exactly 100 games left is the last time the Pirates will be at the .500 mark. This has just been a complete disaster these last 20 games.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

777C74787D7C672224536A727B7C7C3D707C130 wrote: Disappointed in Glasnow.  4 runs in 2 innings - after a number of encouraging starts, today he was hit hard.

Glasgow needs all the help he can get. So... it was 3 runs in 2 innings not 4. But yeah... I hear ya.

And he has zero starts this year...

Yeah.. I agree with you on this one. What should the Pirates do differently with Glasnow ? Send to AAA , trade for a bag of turds or drop him ?  None makes as much sense than giving him some low leverage innings as they are doing now. It might be frustrating but still best to give him a chance.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Barring a miracle, tomorrow we will enter sub-.500 territory and remain there for a long, long, long time.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

07203135302D12263130302D540 wrote: Very disappointing the Pirates couldn’t win this game today with Taillon pitching and the Dodgers pretty much using their entire bullpen to try and win this game. The Pirates are now 5-14 in the last 3 weeks and have now lost 6 straight series. I have a bad feeling with as good as the Cubs are playing now that today with exactly 100 games left is the last time the Pirates will be at the .500 mark. This has just been a complete disaster these last 20 games.
When they got off to the 26-17 start, I posted that I was impressed that they did it without anyone playing over their heads. The bullpen was doing great, but that meant they were performing up to best case expectations. The starting pitchers were adequate. Cervelli, Marte and Dickerson were hitting the best but it was the type of hitting they had done in their best seasons, so not a mirage. And a number of players were performing below expectations.

But now that they are losing 2 games for every win, the only thing that's different is the BP failures and the lack of timely hits. The bad news is that this roster, playing as it did early didn't look like a winning team but somehow they managed. Now they just look like the losers we expected them to be and I don't think this roster, and how poorly Hurdle manages it, can be expected to be much better.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

I've been indifferent to Hurdle the last couple of seasons, but this year I just can't believe how poorly he is constructing his lineups. Just terrible. Unless he is being told by management to play Polanco and have the OF rotation, I don't get why he is doing it. He is playing S-ROD way too much, and his insistence on Bell staying in the 4 spot are all mind numbing.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

3C3D2637216166520 wrote: I've been indifferent to Hurdle the last couple of seasons, but this year I just can't believe how poorly he is constructing his lineups. Just terrible. Unless he is being told by management to play Polanco and have the OF rotation, I don't get why he is doing it. He is playing S-ROD way too much, and his insistence on Bell staying in the 4 spot are all mind numbing.
The things Hurdle does with the lineup would make a lot of sense in Grapefruit League games where the outcome doesn't matter and it's all about trying to prepare the players to do better later on. During the season, those same things result in losses even if it ultimately improves the player somewhere down the road. I suppose that if Polanco, Bell and Rodriguez become productive at some point later in the season, Hurdle will consider his strategy to have been a success regardless of how many games were lost along the way. As David Freese noted, there's no sense of an urgency to win here.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

694449585F4E59191A2B0 wrote: I've been indifferent to Hurdle the last couple of seasons, but this year I just can't believe how poorly he is constructing his lineups. Just terrible. Unless he is being told by management to play Polanco and have the OF rotation, I don't get why he is doing it. He is playing S-ROD way too much, and his insistence on Bell staying in the 4 spot are all mind numbing.
The things Hurdle does with the lineup would make a lot of sense in Grapefruit League games where the outcome doesn't matter and it's all about trying to prepare the players to do better later on. During the season, those same things result in losses even if it ultimately improves the player somewhere down the road. I suppose that if Polanco, Bell and Rodriguez become productive at some point later in the season, Hurdle will consider his strategy to have been a success regardless of how many games were lost along the way. As David Freese noted, there's [highlight]no sense of an urgency to win here. [/highlight]

yep, and its not just Hurdle. His bosses are in no rush either.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

775150475141320 wrote: I've been indifferent to Hurdle the last couple of seasons, but this year I just can't believe how poorly he is constructing his lineups. Just terrible. Unless he is being told by management to play Polanco and have the OF rotation, I don't get why he is doing it. He is playing S-ROD way too much, and his insistence on Bell staying in the 4 spot are all mind numbing.
The things Hurdle does with the lineup would make a lot of sense in Grapefruit League games where the outcome doesn't matter and it's all about trying to prepare the players to do better later on. During the season, those same things result in losses even if it ultimately improves the player somewhere down the road. I suppose that if Polanco, Bell and Rodriguez become productive at some point later in the season, Hurdle will consider his strategy to have been a success regardless of how many games were lost along the way. As David Freese noted, there's [highlight]no sense of an urgency to win here. [/highlight]

yep, and its not just Hurdle.  His bosses are in no rush either.

4 year contract extensions after average results tend to do that.