Official Game Thread - 5/25 - Bucs vs Cubs

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

I've been hoping beyond hope that Polanco would start hitting but I'm now giving up. I don't think it matters anymore. Even if he were to go on a two week tear, which I'm not sure he's ever done in his career, the player coming back in return would be little more than minor league filler.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

2D7B6D79766C7C777A6D5F78727E7673317C1F0 wrote: I've been hoping beyond hope that Polanco would start hitting but I'm now giving up.  I don't think it matters anymore.  Even if he were to go on a two week tear, which I'm not sure he's ever done in his career, the player coming back in return would be little more than minor league filler.
He's untradeable. Remember not only does he have a hefty salary, but he also will be due a 3 million dollar buyout.

Amazing, his buyout is higher than all but one player's salary on the team!
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4C6A6D78717D6A7C741F0 wrote: I've been hoping beyond hope that Polanco would start hitting but I'm now giving up.  I don't think it matters anymore.  Even if he were to go on a two week tear, which I'm not sure he's ever done in his career, the player coming back in return would be little more than minor league filler.
He's untradeable. Remember not only does he have a hefty salary, but he also will be due a 3 million dollar buyout.

I cannot imagine any other team wanting him on their roster enough to give up someone to get him even with the Pirates having to pay nearly all of the rest of his contract. The only way they could unload him would be to do another Liriano deal like when they bribed Toronto with Reese McGuire and Harold Ramirez to take Liriano and his contract. I know the Pirates are trying to stockpile prospects instead of giving them away but it wouldn't surprise me if Nutting would pressure BC to make such a deal to unload the Polanco contract.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

And, if the above were to occur, and the prospects the Pirates would be forced by Nutting to give up are valuable, BC should walk.

You can't build it if you have to tear it down to save a one year sunk cost (and the buy-out); and this on a team that has a payroll that can barely get much lower.
2drfischer@gmail.c

79555D5A5176415747340 wrote: And, if the above were to occur, and the prospects the Pirates would be forced by Nutting to give up are valuable, BC should walk.

You can't build it if you have to tear it down to save a one year sunk cost (and the buy-out); and this on a team that has a payroll that can barely get much lower. 

Smartest post of the week.
2drfischer@gmail.c

614740555C50475159320 wrote: I've been hoping beyond hope that Polanco would start hitting but I'm now giving up.  I don't think it matters anymore.  Even if he were to go on a two week tear, which I'm not sure he's ever done in his career, the player coming back in return would be little more than minor league filler.

If Polanco's isn't the worst contract the Pirates have ever written it has to be in the top two.
gileszee

Post by gileszee »

Pat Meares is pretty high up on that list.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

6D3B2D39362C3C373A2D1F38323E3633713C5F0 wrote: I've been hoping beyond hope that Polanco would start hitting but I'm now giving up.  I don't think it matters anymore.  Even if he were to go on a two week tear, which I'm not sure he's ever done in his career, the player coming back in return would be little more than minor league filler.

If Polanco's isn't the worst contract the Pirates have ever written it has to be in the top two.
Here's a pretty fun free agent signing list to peruse:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1428273551
BenM

Post by BenM »

Who was the guy they signed a couple of years ago who mysteriously came down with an injury and never left Florida after spring training?

Now I remember, Lonnie Chisenhall. 2.75 million and he never played a game.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

2375637778627279746351767C70787D3F72110 wrote: I've been hoping beyond hope that Polanco would start hitting but I'm now giving up.  I don't think it matters anymore.  Even if he were to go on a two week tear, which I'm not sure he's ever done in his career, the player coming back in return would be little more than minor league filler.

Derek Bell was pretty bad.