Pirates vs Cards 5/12

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Osushawn

Pirates vs Cards 5/12

Post by Osushawn »

73565555406B565E5C4B390 wrote: This team has shown a lot of heart.

Who believed that this team could be on the verge of winning 3 out of 4 from the Cards after blowing the game against the Rangers and losing the first game against the Cards 17-4.

Nutting must give NH the funds to get more help and keep the team in contention while the injured players recover.

This team deserves that commitment

I did.
Bobster21

Pirates vs Cards 5/12

Post by Bobster21 »

55707373664D70787A6D1F0 wrote: We have gotten on Polanco for his fielding.

However; have you ever seen a worse RF than Martinez of the Cardinals. He is not only horrible but has to be the slowest OF in MLB
Agree 100%.
IABucFan

Pirates vs Cards 5/12

Post by IABucFan »

Just want to point out that the Pittsburgh Pirates are currently tied for the second wild card and are actually leading it by percentage points.
SteadyFreddy

Pirates vs Cards 5/12

Post by SteadyFreddy »

What’s also nice is the Pirates have almost 4 or 5 games in hand on teams like the Brewers, Cards, DBacks and Padres teams that are in that wildcard conversation now. I would settle for the Pirates going either 4-3 or even 3-4 in these next 7 games in Arizona and San Diego. Even a 3-4 week makes this a 6-5 road trip which I all think we would have signed in blood for had you told us that after the 17-4 loss on Thursday night. Since the 8 game losing streak the Pirates have won 8 of their last 11 games. Let’s hope we can keep it up with guys like Archer due back this week and hopefully Dickerson as well fairly soon.
NJBucsFan

Pirates vs Cards 5/12

Post by NJBucsFan »

Can someone please explain the "Joe Musgrove pinch-hitting" thing to me? I get it if you're in the 14th and the bench is empty, but I think I've seen it at least twice in competitive games with multiple players still in the bench. Just because he's a decent hitting pitcher doesn't make him Brooks Kieschnick.
fjk090852-7

Pirates vs Cards 5/12

Post by fjk090852-7 »

4C484077617144636C020 wrote: Can someone please explain the "Joe Musgrove pinch-hitting" thing to me? I get it if you're in the 14th and the bench is empty, but I think I've seen it at least twice in competitive games with multiple players still in the bench. Just because he's a decent hitting pitcher doesn't make him Brooks Kieschnick.
I have no problem with Musgrove pinch hitting in the sixth inning. In the seventh when they had the rally Hurdle was able to use both Melky and Frazier, and both had key at bats. If he had used one of them in the sixth, who knows how the game would have ended.
JollyRoger

Pirates vs Cards 5/12

Post by JollyRoger »

5F6365637871677E100 wrote: This team has shown a lot of heart.

Who believed that this team could be on the verge of winning 3 out of 4 from the Cards after blowing the game against the Rangers and losing the first game against the Cards 17-4.

Nutting must give NH the funds to get more help and keep the team in contention while the injured players recover.

This team deserves that commitment

I did.

Next time I go to Vegas I want to consult you on some picks
Bobster21

Pirates vs Cards 5/12

Post by Bobster21 »

5F5B5364726257707F110 wrote: Can someone please explain the "Joe Musgrove pinch-hitting" thing to me? I get it if you're in the 14th and the bench is empty, but I think I've seen it at least twice in competitive games with multiple players still in the bench. Just because he's a decent hitting pitcher doesn't make him Brooks Kieschnick.
They're going with a 4-man bench and will only use the reserve catcher as a last resort so it's basically a 3-man bench. The pitcher was due up 2nd in the 6th inning and Frazier was on deck to hit for him. But when Tucker flew out (via an amazing catch in deep CF) Frazier was called back and Musgrove batted. Seems like the idea was to use 1 of the available pinch hitters if Tucker got on base in hopes of getting a rally going. But if the pitcher's spot came up with 1 out and nobody on base, Hurdle was going to punt on the 6th inning and save his bench for the last 3 innings. Being a man short the bench, I don't have a problem with that. If Tucker had reached base and then Musgrove PH, it would have been a bad idea but Frazier was on deck in case Tucker reached.
MaineBucs

Pirates vs Cards 5/12

Post by MaineBucs »

And, right now, with Kang in a 0 - 23 slump, the Bucs are effectively playing with a 2 man bench.

Kang should go to AAA to try and get his timing down. At present, he is of no value to the team, and it is hard for me to see him getting his swing back if he is not playing.

With respect to Liriano, I keep him right where he is at. He is experiencing success and he has been one of the few dependable arms in the pen. Why mess with something that is going well.

Good win yesterday; and on Saturday and Friday. Always nice to beat the Cards.
SammyKhalifa

Pirates vs Cards 5/12

Post by SammyKhalifa »

There was talk of getting Lonnie Chisenhall some reps at third. Assuming he ever comes back, the OF is currently kind of stuffed.