Huntington on the fan today...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

What about 2016? Just run him out there? He wasn't that dominant with the Blue Jays either. I doubt he gets a post season start.

Yes, signing Freese was a good move. He is a BENCH PLAYER. We been debating for years on how we need a quality bench over just young guys who might never start. Now, one was signed it was stupid. Ugh!
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7D767E7277766D282E596078717676377A76190 wrote: What about 2016?  Just run him out there?  He wasn't that dominant with the Blue Jays either.  I doubt he gets a post season start. 

Yes, signing Freese was a good move.  He is a BENCH PLAYER.  We been debating for years on how we need a quality bench over just young guys who might never start.  Now, one was signed it was stupid.  Ugh!

Unloading McCutchen would have made them better in 2016 too.

(They're not the same level of player obviously, but the logic applies.)

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7353405D5C320 wrote: So after an arguably horrible salary dump trade all we heard about was "financial flexibility". But we're not even a week into the off season after a terribly disappointing losing year and the Pirates are already crying poor claiming how "tight" the budget is?

How do these people get away with this?

What pitcher would you sign?  As it stands Ivan Freaking Nova is going to get something like 5/70 million dollars from someone.  Ivan Nova.  I'd have just kept Liriano--no argument for me on that one. 

I'd love them to make a signing as well.  If not a trade though I'm hoping they don't do something stupid for the sake of proving to people like you that they are not trying to "get away with this."

My post wasn't about how they should spend or who they should sign......but rather the apparent cry of being poor almost immediately after dumping 13 million and two prospects for financial flexibility.
And we saw the Liriano savings immediately invested 3 weeks later by extending Freese. This is how tight the budget is. They have to unload a SP and 2 prospects to save enough money just to sign a utility player. ::)
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

464D45494C4D561315625B434A4D4D0C414D220 wrote: What about 2016?  Just run him out there?  He wasn't that dominant with the Blue Jays either.  I doubt he gets a post season start. 

Yes, signing Freese was a good move.  He is a BENCH PLAYER.  We been debating for years on how we need a quality bench over just young guys who might never start.  Now, one was signed it was stupid.  Ugh!

The money would have made better impact in going out and getting a starter for the rotation.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

6F424F5E59485F1F1C2D0 wrote: So after an arguably horrible salary dump trade all we heard about was "financial flexibility". But we're not even a week into the off season after a terribly disappointing losing year and the Pirates are already crying poor claiming how "tight" the budget is?

How do these people get away with this?

What pitcher would you sign?  As it stands Ivan Freaking Nova is going to get something like 5/70 million dollars from someone.  Ivan Nova.  I'd have just kept Liriano--no argument for me on that one. 

I'd love them to make a signing as well.  If not a trade though I'm hoping they don't do something stupid for the sake of proving to people like you that they are not trying to "get away with this."

My post wasn't about how they should spend or who they should sign......but rather the apparent cry of being poor almost immediately after dumping 13 million and two prospects for financial flexibility.
And we saw the Liriano savings immediately invested 3 weeks later by extending Freese. This is how tight the budget is. They have to unload a SP and 2 prospects to save enough money just to sign a utility player.   ::)

That sums it up pretty well.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

50626E6E7A486B626F6A6562030 wrote: What about 2016?  Just run him out there?  He wasn't that dominant with the Blue Jays either.  I doubt he gets a post season start. 

No, McCutchen had a bad year compared to his past seasons, but still a decent player on the Pirates. He led the team in HRs, second in RBI, led total bases, up there in OPS. yeah, he struck out a lot and didn't hit for high average.

People think Mercer had a decent year and he had the same average as McCutchen. McCutchen wasn't as bad as Liriano.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

040F070B0E0F145157201901080F0F4E030F600 wrote: What about 2016?  Just run him out there?  He wasn't that dominant with the Blue Jays either.  I doubt he gets a post season start. 

It makes me sad that you somehow believe you've made a point.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

4F444C4045445F1A1C6B524A4344440548442B0 wrote: What about 2016?  Just run him out there?  He wasn't that dominant with the Blue Jays either.  I doubt he gets a post season start. 

Holy cow.
ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

Let's hope Nick Kingham can help out at mid season
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

69626A666362793C3A4D746C656262236E620D0 wrote: What about 2016?  Just run him out there?  He wasn't that dominant with the Blue Jays either.  I doubt he gets a post season start. 

No, McCutchen had a bad year compared to his past seasons, but still a decent player on the Pirates.  He led the team in HRs, second in RBI, led total bases, up there in OPS.  yeah, he struck out a lot and didn't hit for high average.

People think Mercer had a decent year and he had the same average as McCutchen.  McCutchen wasn't as bad as Liriano.   

No, he wasn't. But let's not fool anyone, Cutch sucked. A good portion of his good stats happened when the season was essentially over. Can he rebound? Sure. I'd just as soon move him for the best possible return.